Project Phoenix (a sequel)

UPDATE MAY the 11th, 2012

New updates can be found here:

https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/node/32610

note: don't comment on that blog, comment here!

Hello everyone, here i am again, making the sequel of a dismissed project called Project RNGTN w/c will also have the same face, and functions, but.....more smaller in size and more portable, as i have said before, it is my Magnum Opus (for my younger days) and i have never said this before, but i created this for the awareness of the orangutans (don't laugh)

if you want more info, visit this link

so...pictures, they worth a thousand words, what about a video (soz, no videos for now)

UPDATE February the 12th, 2012

Another update! it's been a long time since i have updated this project,i am working on a new project, but i won't stop this project, so for the updates:

-i have connected all the electronics together

-i have added the charging plug

-i have placed the programming panel

so roll in the pictures:

here he is:

side view (you can see that i have added 2 switches, one for the whole robot and another for the charging of the batteries:

here is ALAN's circuit board, a jungle of wires, you can see the recharging socket right on his ■■■■ bellow the pcb:

here is the programming panel and the recharging socket:

here is the plug (i'm gonna connect the battery charger in that plug):

here he is with the postcard from Steve Grand:

that's all for now

cheers! - ⁰ℨ

UPDATE January the 29, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LMR!

It's all on reverse now,all updates on the top, so, another update and it's about ALAN's new look, roll the pictures:

here he is:

This is what he would look like if he has his arms (i still haven't added the arm mechanism):

he now looks like my sketch drawing

Before i have taken all those picture, his eyes broke, so here is my solution:

i have my homemade "magical clay" dried off (portable), just break a piece, wet it with water, mold and let it dry:

that's all for today! cheers! {:(|)

- ⁰ℨ

UPDATE January the 22, 2012

Yes! another update for a long time! and if you have heared the news, ALAN had a broken motor, but the case has been solved, it's just elementary my dear....

here today i'm gonna show you an update for ALAN's (the name's a real controversy, my assistant/classmate's father's name is Edgar Alan (yeah like poe)) motors and also a change of the battery because it got broken.

now for the updates:

here is where i got ALAN's new motor, it's a hand cranked LED torch (ahhh...the beauty of scavenging):

here's the motor:

i have replaced the old motor of the arm mechanism with the new one, and used that old motor for the mouth:

here is the mouth mechanism connected to the new battery case:

here he is now:

the new battery and battery case:

there are the updates!

and if you may ask why i'm making a robot using junk and scavenge parts and not buying parts (except for the motor, i cant find any replacement for it, and also the battery)?

well,in my case, buying parts and assembling them into one robot makes it sound like a kit, and if it is like a kit, then it's not really yours and your own creation, so that's all for now and now for all!

cheers and still cheering! {:(|)

- ⁰ℨ

UPDATE January 12, 2012

Another update, but this time, it's not on a blog....

I have decided to name this orangutan as A.L.A.N, for Artificial Life and Analogue Neuro-computer. and a scientific name of Pongo Mechanicus, 

Also, i have finished the woodworking part of this process using popsicle sticks and chopsticks, and i also have formulated it's electronic neuron , and i decided to add a neural logic circuit so he can choose food (like a tamagotchi). i also added a programming panel so i can "alter" his mind, sorta like giving him drugs (for experimental neural behaviour purposes only)

here are the pictures:

Neural food logic schematic:

the switches will act as input for logic, i will soon change the switches for another sensor when i can, but for now, it will just be switches.

neural formulae and neural map:

(note: the scanner had some bugs, that explains the thick black line) AHA!  it's a miracle, i can do math! ....seriously, i have created my own formulae for my electronic neuron of ALAN's brain, my electronic neuron simulates like a real neuron of a human being, it also have a short term memory.

TIMBER!!!!

Here are my experiments to make a popsicle stick structure, it pleases me aesthetically,

the arms:

YEAH! it can be folded like a swiss army knife (copyright)!!! made from popsicle sticks and chopsticks sanded and polished (not really polished, but will be polished)

Back and front panel:

Programming Panel:

i have added a sound triggering mechanism below his jaw:

^the ape with an iron jaw...LOL

I have added some popsicle sticks for design and also cover:

it reminds me of this:

it is sanded and will be polished using wood varnish soon.

that's all for now! cheers! {:(|)

- ⁰ℨ

UPDATE January 7, 2012

project phoenix has a brain!!!

i finished the pcb and you can see the crafting process in this link:

https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/node/30645

just remember, if you want to comment on that blog post, no, don't comment there, comment here, thanks!!!

cheers!

- {:(|) ⁰ℨ

UPDATE January 2, 2012, (still can't believe it's 2012)

another update for today and posted it as a blog so this robot post can't be very long

here is the update :

https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/node/30551

if you want to comment on that blog post, no, don't comment there, comment here, thanks!!!

cheers!

- {:(|) ⁰ℨ

shown below are the pictures of the project's (haven't got a name for it, anyone of you suggest a name?) gearboxes, created from wind up toys' mechanism.

1. here shows the toys that my father bought, they are kinda cheap ya know (luckily, i't's two in one pack):

^ i told my father to buy a wind up toy, he literaly bought a wind up toy(s)

2. full view showing the toys:

3. yeah, china, where all things came from (God lives in china):

4. here are the toys! they are alive (they didn't know that they'll be disected later)

5. they have some simple mechanism that makes them flip:

6. OMG, i can see their insides!!! you can see the black gearbox, that's what i'm gonna modify for the motor

7. popsicle sticks, gonna use those for the chassis:

8. there be the gearboxes!!!

9. opened:

10. motors and gearbox attached:

11. gonna use this axle for the main gear:

12. here they are:

13. success!!! this is the arm's muscle

14. these are the two gearboxes, this is how they are placed along with the battery:

credits for the background (a poster of apples first computer, the apple 1)

that's for now, have a happy holidays to all LMRians

cheers!

-⁰ℨ

follow light, knuckle walking, "evolve" , "learn"

• Actuators / output devices: homemade gearboxes
  • CPU: self made analogue neural network
  • Operating system: analogue
  • Power source: Cellphone battery
  • Target environment: Tabletop

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/project-phoenix-a-sequel

I’m excited to see how this

I’m excited to see how this turns out, I was dissappointed to hear that you wouldn’t complete project RNGTN, but I’m glad you’ll be building something even better!

Happy holidays to you too! 

Very cool

Great work so far. Keep at it and update soon…faster than I update please. Lol my robot will be updated in a month or so when I have time and money :slight_smile:

Awesome
Awesome

cheers!

hello! didn’t know that you’re still an active member on LMR, thanks for the comment! btw, how’s your robots, specially MAEP? hope to see you again here soon, and you can join our small comunity here and on skype (the RoboBoys)

have a very happy holidays! merry christmas!

cheers!

thanks for the comment, and i saw yer comment on youtube, i’m glad that you like my robot and liked to have more on it, gonna update it when i have time, happy christmas from me and from ma robot!

cheers!

thanks for the comment!  hope to see a new robot from you. merry christmas!

Yeah, I haven’t been

Yeah, I haven’t been commenting much, but I’ve definitely been looking. I’m starting to work on a new version of MAEP as well.

cool!

Awesome! can’t wait to see it!

Thanks and I will make a vex
Thanks and I will make a vex robot

RE

I like the little monkey face you carved!   I didn’t wanna see the last version of this robot be stopped.

(it looks like something I’d build! -LOL) But with the new gear boxes I understand why you started over!

The new ones are pretty cool !!!

LOLZ

hahaha, thanks for the comment! yeah, got some problems on the previous one.

looking forward at the simpsons robot!

re

I was thinking. If you have problems with those custom gearboxes you might wanna look into some of these

http://solarbotics.com/products/gm10/

there can work like a servo or with the springs removed like a gear motor.

plus they are tiny and very energy efficient

I know not as good an idea as the badminton shuttlecock!

(had to post it one more time -lol)

hahaha, cheers!

lol, this help is great! and they are so tiny, great for making small robots, but i think i’m gonna stay on my homemade gearmotors, but i’ll save this link for future bugs and/or projects, thanks!

Yh!!!

Project : Phoenix, lookin’ good! Lol, he looks like he’s wearing my orange headphonez, lol! So are the arms gonna be attached der? 

Will the head rotate left and right or will the arms rotate the entire body?

Nice :smiley: Where do you all

Nice :smiley:

Where do you all get these popsicle sticks? I need some for my project or I need to settle on something else but I’m afraid the micro servos can’t move anything else.

Great, as in great!, great.

Now he’s got a shiny, new brain! : ) 

MML,This comment is off

MML,

This comment is off topic, but check out this LMR user’s avatar jabbapam   -lol

I’m just teasing. Its cool that you support saving wildlife. Where I live people are more worried about killing invasive species rather than saving endangered…

Alright back on topic, we got a battery/head mechanism, we got a new PCB, what’s next?  I’m voting for a flame thrower!

You know like a cross between a mech warrior and a monkey cyborg.  -lol

cheers!

hahaha, yeah, found some couple of orang pics here on LMR as well, 

unfortunately, i can’t donate money for the wildlife…(parents)…well, this is my support for them!

ok back to the topic…well, i’m making the neural formulae per se, and i’m also now on the woodworking part, e.g. arms, cover, etc. but a flame thrower? lol, i can make one of those, but not for this project…

cheers! and still cheering!

lol!

thanks for the comment, although it will have sophisticated chaotic learning brain, it can’t do anything for now except for follow light and choose food. but soon, i’ll “evolve” it.