Drone is not lifting

Hello All,

I am building a custom drone (quadcopter) using ESP8266 as a microprocessor, 2200mAh LiPo battery pack, brushless motors.

For programming I am using python.
I programmed it just to fly and hover it around, but the thing is it not uplifting despite being running motors at full throttle.

I have placed the propellers in right directions (same type of propellers placed diagonally and opposite propellers are running at same directions (clockwise and anti-clockwise) ).

My questions are:

• Is this much sufficient to just fly a drone or Do I need to add something more to it ?
  • What could be the reason, that it is not being uplifted ?
  • When motors are at full throttle, the main switch gets extremely heated up and resuls in disconnection of the circuited due to melted soldering, also want to know the reason behind this, but this wont happen if propellers are not attached to the motors.

Hello,are you using any flight controller?

No dedicated flight controller, I am using ESP8266 only to code and control the motors.

Did you calculate the force needed by each motor + propeller to lift the entire drone (i.e. accelerate upward)?

This is part of a series of articles. You also need the right ESC for the motor, and the battery pack needs to be able to provide the current.
You’ll need a lot more than an ESP8266 to get level flight - we’re assuming you have an IMU and more?

No IMU, Can you guide me or send me some video links that I can learn from. Thank you.

@akkid Although mostly superficial, the following series should help you get started:

1 Like