Cross the gap.

RE

AWESOME!!!

Your robot is close to how I did this comp the first time. My robot was a folding design as well only instead of a “M” shape, mine was a “L” shape. The problem I had was with balancing when over the gap, so I had to actuate everything on the robots frame to move backwards when starting the gap. Then to move forward when leaving the gap. Otherwise I kept falling in.

Your design is much better (and more stable) than what I did.

Now on to timing, you can see him turn it on at roughly 59 seconds, then its off the start table at 3:04

So we convert 3:04 to seconds

3 times 60 + 4 = an end time of 184 then subtract the start time of 59

RUN TIME = 125 seconds

Hey, a real robot!

Feel free to post it as a separate robot project here on LMR! Nice job on the table jump!

Entry Robot Named "Hooker"

Here’s my first entry, though I can’t win since I’m related to the person who made this comp :wink:

Before you watch my video let me tell you this is one ugly way to cross the gap!!!

This robot is named “Hooker”.

First I had to make a hook for the robot to throw. Super Glue is a wonderful thing!!!

Hooker_005__WinCE_.jpg

Hooker_007__WinCE_.jpg

Then I had to throw a frame together. My plan required high lateral friction, hence the tracks.

Hooker_002__WinCE_.jpg

Hooker_001__WinCE_.jpg

Bolt on some motors, and make a robotic trebuchet attachment.

Hooker_003__WinCE_.jpg

Hooker_004__WinCE_.jpg

Then stab the controller in its box, throw in some code, attach the fishing line and home made grappling hook.

Hooker_008__WinCE_.jpg

Hooker_010__WinCE_.jpg

Hooker_012__WinCE_.jpg

Video:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0jBNMo_Hno

Wow. You get my vote for

Wow. You get my vote for most amusing entry!

Ditch the launcher after firing

Awesome stuff. Looks like you would have climbed up on the third video attempt if the launcher hadn’t got in the way. Maybe consider abandoning it after it fires the hook?

Nice work.

My entry for Cross The Gap

OK, here’s my even uglier entry to this challenge.

It doesn’t look very sophisticated but it does do the job.

A bit of explanation. It starts to lower the bridge using the nail file, as can be seen, then sets off across on its wheels, pushing the rest of the bridge down. When it reaches the black tape, using an LED and an LDR, it stops. The motor is then started to wind up the bridge behind it.

Bridge-Bot-1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJkt63MHSZI

Awesome

Awesome music! Robot too.

Awesome bridge bot - And music!

Nice work. I asked my son what he though of this competion, and his first idea was a bridge bot. He thought of using hot wheel track. 

He’ll be impressed with this, and I hope encouraged to try one.

Thanks, rik.

I’m glad you like it. I love the Old Blues stuff :slight_smile:

Thanks, moejurray.

The music takes me back 50 years!

If the bot encourages youngsters to have a go, that’s reward enough :slight_smile:

Very nice, Kelpy!

Very nice, Kelpy!

Brilliant!

Brilliant!

Nice robot!

Another incredibly well built robot from Kelpy. I like the concept.

Now, can we get an “official” timing from winfieldrobotics?

Very nice !!! Bravo!

Very nice !!! Bravo!

Thank you, MarkusB

Thank you, MarkusB

Well, I wouldn’t go quite

Well, I wouldn’t go quite that far, IG, but thanks anyway.

Flattery will get you

Flattery will get you everywhere, antonio.caciuc.

(I reckon it’s about 50 seconds, but I’m not judging) :wink:

Thanks, sebathorus :slight_smile:

Thanks, sebathorus :slight_smile:

RE

Hello Kelpy,

I’ve had to ask a relative on timing your video, as from the camera zoom, I can’t clearly see when the start side bridge lifts off the table. We had to use the glare in the window, and the angle of the bridge to judge this.

We both agreed within 1 second of both the start time and end time.

(drum roll)

We put the start time at 1.31 (first power switch on) and the end time at 2.23 (bridge angle).

52 second runtime (based on the limitations from the video)

I like the foam board construction!!!

“Heath Robinson” -LOL

Sorry about the camera work,

Sorry about the camera work, I was watching the motor spindle winding in the thread, and forgot the other end of the bridge :o

I wondered if anyone would pick up on old “HR”. It’s an expression I heard a lot when I was growing up, but not used much nowadays. I thought it was quite apt for describing my “contraption” :slight_smile: