Cross the gap.

Started on mine, as well :slight_smile:

Well, I’ve painted the 12" squares, anyway. :wink:

The longer I’m thinking

The longer I’m thinking about this challenge, the more complicated this is. But maybe i’ve an Idea now… I only need some more time to figure out. so I’m in!

RE

PS  I’d like to see a Walter “mini-mee” enter this challenge :slight_smile:

Seriously, I think it would be cool.

Can I throw rope, rope get’s

Can I throw rope, rope get’s stuck in something and robot can go?

RE

You can use any means to cross the gap, as long as you leave nothing on the starting table, and meet the rules listed.

nice

hi.
I was interested in competition, I’ll work on it now, I hope to return then to my place of work and change the robot that I have to test and use it for the contest.
which is the deadline to show video?.

Soo… just to be sure: The

Soo… just to be sure: The robot doesn’t have to finish on the other table within a 12 inch cube…  so the parts could be everywhere on the second table, only the first table should be clear. right?

And random size tables means

And random size tables means the second one could be huge?

**REGentlemen, start your building!!! Challenge ends: 2011-04-23 **

Challenge ends: 
2011-04-23 19

My interpretation of the

My interpretation of the spirit of the challenge is that, a device must start on one table, within the confines of a 12" cube, the whole of which must cross the gap between the tables, by any means, and end within the confines of a 12" cube on the other table.

Having said that, the “rules” are slightly ambiguous, with no disrespect to you, winfieldrobotics, and open to personal interpretation (due in the main to the inventive and enquiring minds on this forum).

My question is, are we allowed multiple entries to this challenge? 

thanks

thanks for info…  

Receiving end

I do not feel we are required to fit the robot in that cube, AFTER deployement. It may very well be scattered all over the receiving table.

**Hmmmmmm… **

Hmmmmmm…    

That doesn’t sound too challenging, rik :slight_smile:

RE

My interpretation of the spirit of the challenge is that, a device must start on one table, within the confines of a 12" cube, the whole of which must cross the gap between the tables, by any means, and end within the confines of a 12" cube on the other table.

No, the robot must start within a 12" cube, and end on the other table.

There’s no rule regarding size after the start size restriction.

Just that it starts within a certain size, then leaves the start table completely.

Having said that, the “rules” are slightly ambiguous, with no disrespect to you, winfieldrobotics, and open to personal interpretation (due in the main to the inventive and enquiring minds on this forum).

No offense taken. The rules are meant to be open to interpretation (to a certain degree) in order to spark creative ways to solve this problem. With that being said, I should have done a better job defining the rules…

My question is, are we allowed multiple entries to this challenge?  

Feel free to enter as many times as you want.

Many thanks for clearing

Many thanks for clearing that up, winfieldrobotics :slight_smile:

rik, I bow to your superior

rik, I bow to your superior intellect. (Seriously).

Any news on this challenge?

Any news on this challenge? Has anybody posted solutions? Anybody still working on their robot?

HelloGentlemens, I would

Hello

Gentlemens, I would like to present my entry to this contest.

The ideea:

Was to build a robot to behave as real life as possible,and manage to cross the required 12 inch gap between two tables.

To do that, it will extend a rear and a front legs to help main body made the cross.

To extend the legs I used 2 continuous rotation servos conected to a nut and bolt ensemble which change it’s length when bolt is rotated. Mechanism is very powerfull but painfully slow.

robo_003.jpg

The robot:

Was built on my previous robot platform -=eXplorer=- and have following configuration:

- Arduino 2009 + homemade shield

- 4 standard servos modified for continuous rotation

- 2 Sharp IR sensors

- 1 DC motor

- 8 wheels

- various pieces of wood and hardware.

The process:

Should go as follow:

- Fully extend rear leg and front leg a few cm above the table.

- Drive to the edge until front edge sensor detect the gap.

- Extend front leg full and lift main body few cm above the table.

- Start DC motor from rear leg and drive forward until rear edge sensor senses target table.

- Put the main body down and rise the legs.

Everything is fine until that damn DC motor comes to action. If the voltage is too low won't move, if I increase it a little, start like a rocket. I think i will replace it with another servo, this ones are more predictable.

As you will see in the movie (if you did not skip to it already), the last part don't really goes as planed, because robot caught speed and until rear motor stops the rear leg is already over the edge.

But, concept is proven and I think with little tweaks, everything will go as planed.

And the movie...

http://www.vimeo.com/20220600

Great implementation! The

Great implementation! The robot is quite deceptive in that the legs extend slowly but once they are extended it flies across that gap .

Very clever :wink: And nicely

Very clever :wink: And nicely thought out.