Cross the gap.

RE

Its all good, your video and robot are great. I just couldn’t tell exactly the timing, so I asked a relative for help. But I think we are within a second, so its not like its too big a deal.

(There’s 3 members of my family who have posted using our 2 LMR logins)

I have a gut feeling theres a couple LMR members waiting to post their entries last minute, that will solve this in under 5 seconds.

mmmm…

yes

(maybe 10, I’m not sure about 5)

I suspect the winner will be

I suspect the winner will be between 3 and 10 :wink:

This Comp

Thanks Fritsl for putting us on the video of the week!!!

This looks like a 4.2

Picture_6.jpg

That looks very impressive,

That looks very impressive, antonio.caciuc :slight_smile:

I think I can see how it’s going to work. Can’t wait for the video.

It may look impressive but…

It is actually not very good

The motor pushing the robot doesn’t have enought torque so it stalls and vibrates and generally messes with the power and this makes the servo jerk around… it needs a bit of fiddling, maybe even a redesign…

And here is a video…

This “robot” uses just two actuators: a servo to extend itself and a motor to drive forward.

I tried to make it look nice, but halfway through the build I just went wild with the glue gun and the wiring.

The motor I initially used was not well suited for the task so I replaced it with a modified servo. I also moved the batteries around a bit to put more weight on the drive wheel. Moving the battery pack also changed the center of gravity of the robot (which needs to be right in between the middle wheels) so I had to add 4 teaspoons to the front axle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1deAFvrhwFk

I am not completly sure if this qualifies as a successful crossing, so I am already working on an improved version. This one will have more than two actuators.

RE

Wow, that’s pretty fast. Simple yet effective.

Its started at :24, then is off the table at :33, so that’s 9 SECONDS!!!

Wait, there’s a controversy with this entry.

In order to win you must show a video of your robot completing this task, show the robot measurements and gap measurements in the video, and include the LMR logo on the video.

Can anyone beat 9 seconds?

I’m working on a new version

The new one should be even faster and will even include the LMR logo :slight_smile:

RE

-LOL

Sorry had to mention that  :wink:

Come on guys!

I really want to see a robot that crosses the gap quickly (and doesn’t get stuck on the edge like mine did…)

This shouldn’t take more than a weekend to build. I would really love to have some competition.

RE

When we did this comp previously here was our entry:

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

Unfortunately I took this a part a long time ago. So I can't enter it :-(

Here's gap robots done by our friends:

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

This is the one that actually won our comp. It literally jumped across the gap. The funny thing is that its made from a Mole Trap. The start timing mechanism was a mechanical clock like design using springs and gears to actuate it. The bubble wrap is to dampen it during the rough landings.

IMG_0708.jpg

I like the mole trap idea
I also built a jumper but I didn’t use buble wrap and it broke during testing. I also didn’t feel that it was a true robot.

I’m working on my entry

I’m working on my entry right now. However, I’m not sure I’ll be done in time. I’ll post it as soon as possible, even if it’s not in time for the contest.

By the way, when on the 23rd

By the way, when on the 23rd does the contest end? I saw the 19 at the end of the date, would that be 7:00 o’clock PM on the 23rd, or is the 19 irrelevant and the contest really ends at midnight? I might have a slim chance of finishing my bot and uploading a video if it’s at midnight. I should know by now not to leave these things to the last minute :). Thanks!

RE

Yes that is 7PM -CST for the US.

The end date/time has no real meaning, its just a random date/time I chose when making the comp.

Well then, I guess I’m sunk…

Well then, I guess I’m sunk :). No way I could finish programming it in time. I will post a video of it anyways; when I’m finished. Thanks again!

**Uhm … **

Isn’t the deadline in April? You still have one month left… that should be more than enough time to complete the programming…

Oh…! I just about killed

Oh…! I just about killed myself laughing! Thanks for pointing that out! I really must have been thinking too hard… now I will have time to finish it!