Cross the gap.

Gap.JPG

Winners as voted on by my family as follows below:

Game: Cross the gap.

Objective: Build an autonomous robot that starts completely within a 12 inch by 12 inch by 12 inch square box.

It must then cross a 12 inch gap and stop on the other side without any part of the robot touching the start side when done.

In order to win you must show a video of your robot completing this task, show the robot measurements and gap measurements in the video, and include the LMR logo on the video.

Fastest time to do so, and meet these constraints wins. Timing will start when the robot leaves the start box till its on the second table and not touching the start table. In the event of a tie, or controversy, public vote will decide a winner.

Prize for fastest completion goes to:   antonio.caciuc

• Freescale 68HC11 microcontroller, 32KB Flash RAM, RS232 serial port programming interface, 2-line by 16-character LCD, Piezo buzzer for sound, 4x DC motor ports, 6x servo motor ports, 9x Digital inputs, 8x Digital outputs, 21x Analog inputs, w/ Interactive C software and code examples.
  • a pair of new metal gear motors
  • some assorted sensors - new unused.

Prize:

Picture_002__Small_.jpg

Prize for the robot I find most interesting goes to: Kelpy (I was close to picking the NXT entry, but really liked the fabrication.)

• A new Parallax Basic Stamp controller, product details can be found on their website, w/ software, cable, tiny breadboard.
  • 1 new unused servo, 1 used servo of same brand.
  • some assorted sensors - new unused.

A_interesting.jpg

Prize my family voted for most interesting:    sebathorus  (the first event entry)

What did you win? You will find out soon enough.

I am emailing the winners to send them their prizes. So winners check your inbox.

Prize picture

Ok guys,

Here’s the minimum prize for winning this event:

- the new controller, programming cable, software, and dust from sitting on my shelf !!! -LOL

- 5 new IR sensors

- 2 new metal gear motors

- plus whatever else I throw in the box.

Picture_002__Small_.jpg

PS

Why am I giving this stuff away?

I'm getting rid of my "other brand" controllers and only using Arduino's, and Lego's from now on.

I love this challenge!But it

I love this challenge!

But it would be more interesting to extend it a bit: have the robot cross the gap, grab a flag from the middle of the second table, cross back and go to the starting square without leaving any part of it behind!

Now that is a GREAT challenge!!!

Nice prize! I would donate a

Nice prize! I would donate a kit to this challenge too, but then would it be fair if I would enter the challenge? Let me know what you guys think!

I think I have a quite well idea for this challenge .

I will enter it.

RE

I like your idea, but there’s already an entry so we can’t change the rules at this point.

However this game is based on a real problem that soldiers had during WW2.

As such you wouldn’t cross the boarder and retreat.

Its purely about moving forward and conquering the challenge.

RE

DOH!!!, I put the reply in the wrong spot…

RE

My opinion is:

“Feel free” to donate a prize, same with you entering the challenge.

The LMR rules on creating a challenge don’t include what your asking, so its your choice on what you would like to do.

RE

Great, I can’t wait to see your video!!!

After this challenge is over I’ll post pictures of both my robot, and a friends when we accomplished this task under these rules.

Bottle Rockets

Just duct tape a robot to a couple rockets and have the second table next to a wall to stop the rockets.

Time for Frits’s jumping

Time for Frits’s jumping robot to be resurrected… 

The robot has to be exactly 12 inch tall or it can be shorter than that ?

RE

The starting size must be able to fit inside a 12 inch x 12 inch x 12 inch box, and the video needs to show this.

RE

So smaller is ok.

Fastest time…?

What would fastest time be rated as? Time from touching the table outside the “box” to the time when “untouches” the first table? I’d like to enter, not to win but to have fun. Thanks for doing this! Fun challenge.

RE

Yes, I plan on timing runs exactly as you described.

If there’s a tie, or runs too close to call, then I’ll choose based on my distorded judgement of robot “cool factor”, and public opinion.

(I’ve only got 1 fancy new controller to give away…)

Just curious, Winfield…

Is there any chance you are from Winfield Ks, home of the famous Walnut Valley Bluegrass Fesitival?

RE

Nope, I’m from a couple states east of there. The location map isn’t even close. -LOL

Cool challenge. Back in my

Cool challenge. Back in my early teenage years I used to love making up contraptions that could cross gaps or scale objects using lego technic.

A question regarding the table tops. Does their make up or material matter? Say, must they be a smooth wooden surface or can it be metal, fabric, cushioned etc…?

I’m in

Sounds fun.