X-BRAT Autonomous Mech Warfare Robot

James- Thanks for the info. I Still can’t seem to get the select button to do anything other then make the right ankle deflect full one way or full the other way. I ensured I was programming with the Studio 1.0.0.14 IDE and same behavior.

I’ll take a deeper look into the problem.

Mark

I really like the P&T on top. It didn’t appear to make it much taller. Nice work!

Ah, I’ve figured it out. It was a code error, not an IDE error… :blush:

In the first couple of versions of the code, I included support for turning on/off a laser pointer using a third picoswitch on pin 7. Later, the pins were changed (from 0-6 to 4-8 and 10-11 like the other tutorials) and it appears that I accidentally left the laser pointer on pin 7 in the code. :blush: :blush:

Anyway, long story short, the laser pointer stuff has been commented out for now and the select button does what it should do. I don’t currently have my mech in-house, so could you give it a try for me? It’s been sent out for a few interviews so that an article may be written. :smiley:

Uh… sorry about that.

Here’s a link to the new code.

James-

Thanks for finding this! I will try it out now and let you know if it solved the problem.

Mark

James- I just tested the new code and it works fine. Thanks for finding this so quickly!

I’m in the process of coding the auto targeting system for X-BRAT and will post updates soon.

Mark

You mean by using the camera? If so, this will be cool.
8)

Yes…using the CMUcam2 on the pan tilt head!!!

This is the ‘fun’ part! I will need to use some trig and floating point math to make it work right since the head will have to make slight adjustments to hit the target depending on the distance to target as well as which gun is shooting. I already worked out all the math but I don’t yet know the speed of the calculations…

Mark

it’s not a code error, its OPERATOR ERROR! :laughing: jk

All-

Here is the way I am mounting the guns on the new pan/tilt head for X-BRAT. In order to mount the hubs inline with the tilt servo I needed to machine out relief to accomodate the ball bearing from the C-Bracket. It was also necessary to install the ball bearing backwards. I am extremly happy with this modification. Note that I do not yet have the 1.5" aluminum connector tubes that allow the 2 hubs on each side to be mated together so I have them taped together for the picturs. The connecting tubes are coming today.

Mark

More Pics

Nice mod! I did sort of the same thing for the hexapod gun turret, only I used the 1/4" spacers to avoid having to mill any parts. But this adds weight, so your mod is very useful.

Hi,

Your Brat with CMUCam looks great!
Very creative modfication on the hubs. 8)
Very good tip, thanks for sharing!

Thanks Zenta…considering your design skill as evidenced by your ant project that means a lot coming from you!

As the X-BRAT project progresses…I’m gaining more confidence that this is going to work out quite well. Next I plan to mount a pan/tilt head on X-Rover and try autonomous shooting…stay tuned!

Mark

All,

I have completed the pan/tilt head assembly and very sloppily whipped together my first test of the pan/tilt head and guns tracking and auto targeting on the red target. Please check out the short youtube video. More to follow!

Mark

Good Job!

Looks like it is tracking pretty well

Kurt

Kurt- Yes, X-BRAT was tracking well but that was the very first time I had the code together and have since cleaned it up so he trackes much smoother now.

All- Please check out my latest Youtube Video of my first FULLY AUTONOMOUS TARGETING and FIRING system. This is hot off the press. There are several shots in the video where it was shooting blanks since I did not have time to put on a proper ammo hopper. Either way I hope you all find this video entertaining.

Also it was hysterical that my wife came down to check it out and happened to be wearing a pink shirt and she got shot in the head from about 10 feet away. It just missed her eye but she is ok and has a welt. I did not do any vertical alignment of the guns so it shot a bit high…she is not very apprciative and wants me to get the guns tracking better next time!

Quite a lot of excitment around here…

:laughing:

Wow, thats awesome! Great work. I hope your wife are doing fine though :wink: Just gave your video a 5 star on youtube. A video of walking combined with tracking would also be cool to watch :wink:

Looking forward to try out the cmucam too one time. Thanks for sharing you project, really entertaining and interesting.

Zenta- Thanks for the kind works…this thing is a hoot!!!

Here is another video where I’m trying out a different ammo hopper which falls off at the end! It works a little better but is still shooting blanks toward the end.

Mark

That is amazing how fast it’s able to lock on and fire hitting the target! Is there anyway possible to shoot video of the the onboard camera view?

Very well done.

Perhaps safety goggles ought to be required wear in your house! :shock:

In any case, those videos are impressive! Very cool.

(To avoid shooting blanks, perhaps a small funnel or similar could be used for an ammo hopper instead of something with a flat bottom? Just a thought.)