X-BRAT Autonomous Mech Warfare Robot

Ok…here is the next video…if you watch close the second to last shot (which was the left gun) shot a blank before it fired the bullet. I also missed a target once. I was using both guns to take out the 5 targets.

Are people interested in seeing more of these types of videos? I will do one with the 200gm skull head which will likely be more all up weight then the completed robot.

It make take a few minuts for youtube to finish processing the video before it will play for you but here is the link:

Very cool. 8)
I think there’s a problem if you ever run out of ammo. :stuck_out_tongue:

Step 2: Add AI
Step 3: People think that they are in control.
Step 4: Robots take over.

Right?

Well I’m defninitly on step 2 now…hoping to get to step 4 soon…let Skynet go live!

Mark

Thats my favorite video so far. 8)

I think people like to see real shooting! :smiley:

Here is the latest pic…

Excellent work and great pictures!
And the video was just awesome 8)
BTW, whats the total weight with all bullets?

He weighs more then my 610gm scale can measure :slight_smile:
But seriously…I will have to figure out a way to weigh him and let you know…

Thanks for the compliments…they were fun videos to shoot!

Mark

To get a rough estimate, you can stand on a scale and note your weight, then pick up the brat and stand back on the scale taking note of the weight, subtract the two figures and you will have a rough number. its not very accurate but it can give you an idea. My digital scale is only accurate to within .5 lbs a dial type would be better.

I have used that trick before but not very accurate. I just did it and he weighs 1.5lbs. Lighter then I thought it would be!

That is with everything except the XBee, scoring plates, and tilt mechanism (TBD). I’m guessing he will weigh in at less then 2lbs but just a guess at this point.

Mark

I have to say I really like this brat. The whole battle aspect of it is great. Really considering building one up myself. What exactly are you using for the targeting system if you don’t mind me asking?

Don’t mind you asking at all. I am using a CMUcam2+ and will be using a similar vision system to X-Rover which can be seen here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5580

I am working (right now) on a full turorial for X-Rover with Lynxmotion. I do not yet have an eta on posting it.

You can use the same CMUcam2 on the X-BRAT but instead of chasing the red ball or rc car, you can use the info to target. For Mech Warfare in Robogames 2010 they will allow use of colord 3X3" targets for autonomous robots!

Stay tuned for more infor!

Mark

Have been looking at the airsoft cannons for this, seems they are a bit diffucult to find. Are you using the 270mm or the 310mm cannons? Think I will be starting one of these even if I don’t actually combat it. Just have some ideas I want to try in the movements of the brat. The guns will be more for fun than anything for the time being.

Mech-warefare website…
mech-warfare.com/default.aspx

Guns…
toyeast.com/v3/pdtdetail.asp … =A02102961

I say those Jim, just noted they were out of stock on the 270mm cannons and assumed that those had to be the ones people are using… lol my luck. Probably be doing a brat order late in the week. Still got the free boards??? :smiley:

The one’s Jim linked you too are the best guns for the BRAT. I have tried them all. :slight_smile:

I just checked and they are in stock at Toy East.

Good luck with your mech project!

Mark

Yes we still have plenty of the SSC-32’s for the free deal. 8)

Can anyone tell me how the ankle adjust is supposed to work in the default BRAT code? Is there a way to use the PS2 to adjust the ankle tilt? The tutorial mentions the select button for ‘stride adjustment’ which I’m thinking is also related to the ankle adjustment paramter.

I’m just digging through the code now trying to figure it out.

Mark

All- I have almost completed the Pan/Tilt assembly for the head/guns. I have a temporary bracket to hold the guns until I receive new parts. Eventually the guns will be a little farther apart as they were previously. I will explain that part of the build later.

Here are a few pics of possible head arrangments. One of them also has the TrendNet cam on it which I will probably not use for competition but wanted to get and idea of the size and weight.

Feedback Welcom!

The ankle adjust variable is there so that when the robot gets moving, it turns the ankle at a less extreme angle. This helps the robot to not fall over once it gets walking at any speed. Since it’s rather top-heavy, it’s not the best of ideas to have it swaying too much.