X-BRAT Autonomous Mech Warfare Robot

Announcing the X-BRAT project: An autonomous BRAT designed for the Mech Warfare Competition.

I am starting this thread to introduce X-Brat. My intent for X-BRAT is to build the first fully autonomous robot to compete in the Robogames Mech Warfare catagory. You can read up on mech warfare here: mech-warfare.com/default.aspx

I was able to build the complete frame and mechanics and get it walking in less then a day thanks to the excellent kit and code supplyed by Lynxmotion

Here is the youtube video showing his first few steps running the pbrat code supplied by Lynxmotion and controlled with a wireless ps2 controller:

More information, pictures and videos will be posted as the project developes. I will use the same CMUcam2+ that I’m using on X-Rover. You can check out the X-Rover project here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5580

Comments, questions, and feedback are welcome!

I am very excited to build my first Bi-ped…I’m very pleased at how well this kit went together.

Mark

Looks good. It will look strangely tall until the torso is built out with the arms. My bratinator looked the same way before the arms were put on.

Here’s an old picture:

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6509/brat02dq7.jpg

Thanks for the reply Mike.

I should mention that I was so inspired by your custom machined head for your Bratinator that I just had to have a cool looking head on X-BRAT. After some searching I found the Skull Gear Shift knob you see in my pic. I have one coming in in Black Chrome which should look better. I still like yours a lot better as it looks cooler and is more functional.

Mark

It’s always good to hear that someone, other than my self, is inspired by my design. :laughing:

The black chrome will look cool! can’t wait to see it mounted.

I’m curious, how do you have the head servo bracket mounted on the channel? I looked into doing the same thing on my brat but only one of the two holes would line up. Can you post a close-up of how you have it mounted?

Sure…

I used one of the Lynxmotion wheel mounting hubs and screwed it to the servo horn and got a perfect fit. It may not work with your design (head) since it will eventually thread onto the hub like the skull gear shift knob would thread onto the gear shift shaft.

I will post pics later tonight.

Mark

Here is the close up pic you asked for. Unfortunatly the size of the hole in the skull is just a little to big for the stock lynx hub. Lucky they provide the inside/outside threaded insert that you see sitting on top of the hub in the second pic. Eventually I will turn down and then cut threads to match the insert…then just screw on the head with some teflon plumbing tape to get a snug fit. The head is light enough that I’m allowing the sapce between the hub flat and the servo horn (wheel). I could fix that by milling the end of the hub flat with a countersink to fit over the small ridge around the screw that holds the horn to the servo shaft.

Let me know if this helps…

Mark

Here is the second pic showing the threaded insert sitting on top of the hub:

Can you take a picture showing how the ASB-04 is mounted to the channel? Sorry this is what I actually ment.

I tried mounting the ASB-04 to the channel but only one hole would line up. I used an ASB-18 to mount the ASB-04 to the channel.

Oh!!!

Sure no problem…I will do that now…there is a way to mount it so the servo shaft is near dead center.

Mike- Here is the close-up you asked for…I got both holes to fit properly

Mark

Did you drill holes? because this is what I have:

DSCF0003[1].jpg

You need an ASB-24…not ASB-04!!!

That is the problem:

I swear I just saw a bright flash over the horizon and a few minutes later heard this “doh!” kind of noise go bye…

Lol…I think I heard it too!

LOL!

You know… as long as I have been around, I was not aware of the ASB-24s, how I managed to miss it who knows!

I made great progress on X-Brat and have him nearly identical to the Lynxmotion Brat videos you see to date. I am really happy and excited with the progress on X-BRAT. It was a bit slow going since I’m working on the X-Rover tutorial.

The only think I need to do to catch up to the lynxmotion mech brat is to add the pico switches to make the guns operational. The rest of the build is done. After that I will add the CMUcam and work on the auto targeting and firing system.

I apologise for not having new pics and vid’s up yet. I have more of my build log photos I will post today and if youtube cooperates I will post new videos.

Stay tuned!!!

Mark

I’m ready Mark! I’m ready!

http://speakingofthedevils.com/files/2009/06/movie_popcorn.jpg

Happy Haloween everyone!

I finally debugged my internet problems and it was a bad cable modem. Now I can post pics and vids again…I will update my X-BRAT progress today!

Mark