So it's been a while since I last got a chance to work on VADER (see https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/node/39884) , but I recently was able to dust him off and finish up the wiring. VADER is a Service Droid mounted on a Rover 5 Base with a 4 channel motor controller and a Spider Controller.
After implementing the wiring according to the wiring diagram I had created (see attached and https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/service-droid-wiring-w-4-channel-controller-and-spider-controller). I put together a bare bones code to test the servos in the Service Droid to verify it was all wired correctly. It was at this point that I hit a very annoying wall.
When I upload the code to the Spider Controller the Arduino editor gives me the following error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
During the compiling time L1 (red) is blinking until the upload starts. During the upload L1 pauses (off) and all the while L2 (blue) is steady on.
As I understand it, this error is telling me that something is preventing the computer from talking to the arduino controller - either the computer, the cable or the arduino itself has decided not to play nice.
Across the internet I find a lot of references to people getting this error in various Arduino boards and there are almost as many opinions on how to fix it. I think I've tried them all except reburning the boot loader on the Spider. I'm hoping to not have to come down to that. I tried two different USB cables and two computers. The one I'm currently on is running Windows 8 (unfortunately). I've hit the Reset button on the Spider at various times during the process without changing the results.I've tried reboots of the Arduino editor, the computer and the board.
I'm gonig to keep trying, but in the mean time if anyone in LMR-land has ideas I'm all ears.