Total newbie near frustration - installing libraries doesnt work like in tutorial

Hey folks!

I am trying to build a Hexapod running on Phoenix Code using Botboarduino, controlled with a PS2 Controller from Lynxmotion. In the future I want to modify the main structure of the Bot, but for now i just try to get basic stuff to work - and thats where I am already stuck.

I found The Phoenix Code on GitHub, found the PS2X drivers - I know I need to install the libraries, but if I try to do it following the Tutorial linked on GitHub it says its missing the actual library. It looks like there are only the header files, but the library is missing - is there some “standart-library” i have to copy the header files into?

When searching the forums I only found topics where people got it running and answers stating there are lots of people having trouble with this - but I just couldn’t find a topic or tutorial that would solve that question

please help me!

1 Like

Hey @Faendir,

Welcome to the RobotShop community!

Which code on GitHub (repo)?
If you wish to use the recommended Lynxmotion example code, please check this repository. Here’s a direct link to the ZIP of the current, tested version.

Which one? There are many versions floating around online. Again, if using the Lynxmotion example code, we recommend that you get it from this repo. Here a direct link to a ZIP for this one.

Please provide a link to the tutorial you are trying to follow.

I have a strong feeling you are trying to use a version that only has the Phoenix code itself without any of the libraries required (need to be installed independently).

There are quite a few posts with much information. Here are some examples:

That being said, sometimes it is difficult to find information about something as complex as an hexapod (so many topics!).

See answers & questions above! :wink:

Sincerely,

1 Like

hey @scharette,
Thank you so much!
Those two threads helped me big time!
I got the libraries and the code installed now (always tried importing zip-libraries, didn’t see the instruction how to manually import everything - dumb me) , the bot reacts to commands from the ps2 controller, so communication there works
For now I only get the beeps indicating that i toggled through different modes, no servos are responding (still moveable by hand, just as they are when turned off) - will try to work myself through that, but if this is a known problem and its easy to explain how to fix … :smiley:

Thanks again, hope is rising right now!

1 Like

No problem! I’m glad the info was helpful.

Hehe, yeah, complex projects with multiple dependencies from multiple sources are, well, inherently complex! :slight_smile:
Good job on getting it to work this quickly! I’d say you were faster than average! :wink:

As for this issue it may very well be simply a baud rate issue between the BotBoarduino and SSC-32U. With the SSC-32U powered, press the baud once. The LED A & B should blink for a few seconds indicating the current baud rate. The baud rate typically used for the Phoenix code is 38400. By default the SSC-32U ships at 9600 baud (only the green LED blinks). You can change the baud rate of the SSC-32U by using the baud button and following the steps from the user manual (page 34, bottom half).

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

1 Like

Yes, that solved it! Thank you so much again :smiley:

now that i got that working i can continue building the modifications both hardware and software wise , I guess I will be asking for help again, for now you really saved my hope that i can really get this project to work :smiley:

1 Like

Great!

I highly recommend that you post your project here. Not only will this provide visibility to your robot on the RobotShop community but also help you obtain assistance if you get stuck in the future. It is always easier to help with complex projects when they are described in details (and it saves you from repeating yourself every time you hit a wall! :smiley: ). And bonus point: it may inspire others to try making such a robot but thought it was too difficult! :wink:

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Sincerely,