The beginnings of SwifferBot?

Idea:
http://hs.guymon.net/robots/swifferBotConcept.jpg

Ive got a little work past this, but no pics yet. Ive also done a few 3d models to help with figuring out placement of things, which is probably my biggest concern. The things being:

the swiffer (of course!)
servo to control lifting of swiffer
speed controls and other electronics

and because only being a swiffer bot doesnt really appeal to me…

an electric airsoft gun (low power :wink: )
and wireless camera

I would also like to get some sort of arm setup so i can be even lazier…

But the trick is making these things interchangeable, since the swiffer takes up a bit of space, and something about a vacuum with a gun doesnt seem right…

All of this will be RC for now, but once i get all the parts placement figured out and mounted, i’ll have to familiarize myself with a controller board and sensors. Any suggestions in that area (and in others) will be greatly appreciated…

Thanks!

Updates coming soon…

Haha, thats amazing. When can we buy them? :stuck_out_tongue: You so need to but bumper sensors onto that thing.

Just wondering, how did you mount the vac onto the body?

Try and keep the tracks from wobbling and sagging by adding small rods or wheels in between the treads. This will allow you to have better steering, speed and controll as well as grip to the ground.

As for sensors, some bumper wiskers, possibly light sensors so it wont bump into you while cleaning and some Ping sensors are always nice.

thx

Have you thought of going even lazier and getting it to change it’s own Swiffer pad?
:stuck_out_tongue:

As for control boards, if you’re willing to get a bit dirty electronics-wise and want to learn C, PICs are a cheap and powerful way to go.
At $7-$8 a pop, you can always afford to throw another PIC at a problem.
The only hassle is an initial investment of $60 or so at SparkFun for the programmer.

As for the board itself, I’d recommend going with through-hole perfboards.

I’m sure others can suggest a variety of pre-made hardware, but IMO, there’s nothing more satisfying than having made it myself.
:smiley:

Hi,

its realy cool, but its pretty big to be a swifer bot, anyway for me, like in my house (well its mostly my family’s fault…) well 3/4 of he floor is coverd with this and that, so basicaly the bot could only clen a circle in each room. but i know too that you cant ave a tiny bot otherwize it would take a day or two to clean your house. what would be cool is to make it realy powerful so it can move things over so it can do underneet (or creat something to pull :laughing: )

Nice bot, but,like others said you should probably put idlers so your tracks wont fall off (now I want to build a tracked bot too :frowning: ) their too many things awesome at lynxmotyion :laughing:

oh and what are PIC’s??

Sam thanks

The tracks actually work fine being so loose, but i have added some idlers on the bottom to tighten things up and give a little more clearance. I’ll get pics posted of that tomorrow…

I’ve also been thinking about how to mount all of the various things id like to put on the “bot”. The swiffer should be fairly easy, with aluminum channel on the side with 6mm pillow blocks for it to pivot on. The only problem is that they are out of stock… so ive been coming up with a configuration for the other fun stuff, finally deciding on something like this:

http://hs.guymon.net/robots/prev1.jpg

http://hs.guymon.net/robots/prev2.jpg

Mounting these will be a little more difficult… The servos im using are futaba s3003’s. Does anyone know if those’ll fit the SES?

The right side of the robot is empty because i want to put an arm there, but thats also dependant upon the SES… maybe then i can have him move objects, change pads, and even reload with pelets :smiley: Eventually…

He’s gonna be under radio control first, but im looking into the PICs(Programable Integrated Circuts, i believe), and orderd a few books on that and other subjects, hopefully to accelerate my learning process. 8)

Anyway, thats the update for now more pic… tures coming soon!

cool :smiley:

the Futaba S3003 fit, i have some right here, and they fit the mutil purpose bracket, and they look like they would fit a C bracket with the multi purpose bracket

btw, wat program did you use for that iamge?

ah alas, a robot that can clean your house and shoot the dog!!

or wait…

ah alas, a robot that can clean your house and hold up a mcdonalds!!

ehehehehehe…man, do i wish I had one of those!!! :smiley:

I like the Idea …

Take the Tank in to clean the floors and the spiders to do the stars…

Roomba watch out your time is limited

LOL next the bipeds with their lawnmower carts will conquer the outdoors!!

Roomba vs SwifferBot… should be a good clean fight… :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a bit of a parts visual update:

Simple enough:
http://hs.guymon.net/robots/swifferInside.jpg

As well as the updated platform, weapon, and current electronics…
http://hs.guymon.net/robots/sidePlan.jpg

and im stealing this guy’s head!
http://hs.guymon.net/robots/sewerSlug.jpg

Next up is ordering those brackets and maybe a few other things… after some sleep of course… ordering parts late at night is not the best idea…

Give me another week and surely i’ll have the majority of things assembled…

it looks nice, especialy the tracks :smiley:

Sam

in the electronics pic, are those Deans plugs? and in the last pic, does that bot use a traxxas stampede trannsmission?
I think we have another RC’er in the house… :smiley:

They all look great!

How does that wirless camera work for you?

Thanks guys! :smiley:

I just put my order in for the brackets and stuff…

And yes, RC is the gateway hobby that has led me to robotics. Those are indeed Dean’s plugs, and i think i stole the tranny off of a rustler instead of the pede… :stuck_out_tongue:

The camera’s not especially great in the dark and i pick up slight interference from my router, but i get fairly good range, even through a couple of walls running it off of 7.4v…

same!!

THE TRACKS ARE LOOKING GREAT NOW WITH THE IDLERS…SIK MISC STUFF TOO! :smiley:

hmmm… screaming posts… :smiley:

looks really good :smiley:

i have a question, will the gun have a pan and tilt sorta thing, or will it require you to make the whole bot turn?

I had a similar idea except my place is mostly carpet. I started this early this year in the winter and have been so busy with work and school I havent had the time to finish it after blowing the motor controller. Im going to have 2 weeks where I have no obligations except for work :smiley: so hopefully I will be able to finish it.

thumb11.webshots.com/t/59/459/8/54/16/2543854160056081071iHVROg_th.jpg
thumb11.webshots.com/t/59/559/4/77/92/2366477920056081071vscVlB_th.jpg
thumb11.webshots.com/t/57/457/5/76/30/2594576300056081071alcnRz_th.jpg