Test yourself: Arty or Techie

There are 2 kinds of robot builders; Arty’s & Techie’s.

Take this test to find out what you are :)

Point = 0

1) Your robot has to navigate in a park. Do you design it to..

A) Orientate to see how far, what is ahead, somehow generate a map over the area, keep track over obstackles and good paths, drive to next point and so on

B) Focus on where you are going to, constantly avoid obstacles, but only if they are in your way

If answer = A then
point = point +1
end if

2) The fun about building robots are ..

A) That you can have an idea to a creature and see it come alive

B) That you have a reason to try math and programming techniques in real life

If answer = B then
point = point +1
end if

3) If there is a cable that has 3.7V coming out from your circuit, and you thought it should have been 5V, would you rather / typically..

A) Find out why it is 3.7V

B) Say ”that was strange”, and somehow cope with that for now

If answer = A then
point = point +1
end if

4) You have to make a robot arm that is going to take up all your socks from your drawer. Would your first thought be..

A) Find out a way to know how many socks are in the drawer, so that you know when you have picked all and is able to structure the picking.

B) Find out a way to see when the drawer is empty, and pick socks until it is empty.

If answer = A then
point = point +1
end if

5) If you should chose to be an expert in one of the 2 below, just somehow get all knowledge inserted into your brain, what would you chose:

A) Get to know 100% Picaxe Basic, Basic Stamp Basic and Arduino C – because then you could just build with ease, almost without thinking, all commands would be at your hands; If you can think on it, you can just make it..

B) 100% assambly, down to 0’s and 1’s of the chips the above based on, because then you would be able to understand it all 100%, and override the commands and optimize and write your own, which would be cool!

If answer = B then
point = point +1
end if

6) Building robots often happens alone. If you where together on a camp with 1.000’s of other builders, would you rather..

A) Participate in a group that would design something bigger, using multiple technologies.

B) Participate in a competition where you where able to enter a robot that you had made yourself.

If answer = A then
point = point +1
end if

7) After making a robot, would it make you more happy if..

A) Other robot builders where really impressed?

B) People who knows nothing about it think it is cool or fun?

If answer = A then
point = point +1
end if

Result:

0-2 points = Arty!!

3-4 points = All around!

5-7 points = Techie!!

My result

5 points, so yes, I’m Techie!!

Daniel

3 points - so middle of the

3 points - so middle of the road :smiley:

6 points.
6 points.

Nice one

I wonder whose sweeping statement about science-y and art-y roboteers gave you this idea?

I scored 8, I’m afraid. Must try harder next time.

Hmm…
Strangely I got 2 or 3 points, but would have thought to be more techie? I like aestheticaly pleasing robots but don’t often build them. Drove one guy nuts with a robot that had a rats nest of wires, but I thought the look added personality to it.

3 :stuck_out_tongue: "and just when you

3 :stuck_out_tongue:

“and just when you think your at the bottom of your hole, god hands you a shovel”

8 points out of 7??? You
8 points out of 7??? You must be an über-techie :slight_smile:

3 points! :slight_smile: nice test by
4 points! :slight_smile: nice test by the way! Oh and you Frits get to start from 2 points because of the "if answer=a then…" :stuck_out_tongue:

He is, actually!Him and JIP

He is, actually!

Him and JIP would both get 7-8 points. They are so radical!

And I would get minus zero! Radical too :slight_smile:

4 points, but I don’t see

4 points, but I don’t see how 5 is artsy vs techy…I could see if you compared a flowchart vs programming your bot.

with flowcharting you can move the command objects to form interesting shapes…

Resit
I re-sat the exam and got 9 this time. I think I maybe awarded too many bonus points.

Moan moan moan
You’re just sore you didn’t make the grade! Heh heh heh. Give yourself bonus points if you feel bad about it!

This test was made by
This test was made by someone who scored 0 in it, so it is only natural that I dont get "the other side"! Make one yourself, and let me try that :slight_smile:

lol, my score what was I

lol, my score what was I expected…I"m a mix between both…that question I refered to seemed more like a tech or tech, lets artsy aspect…

It’s like asking if someone would build a site using C++ or php/rails/perl… anyway, it seemed like both were viable techy options… :slight_smile: …so yeah. I will give myself a point for that one…hehehe

Here we go. Now I’m really

Here we go. Now I’m really pissed off. I’ve got only 1 point, trying to understand “why it is 3.7”… :)))

You know what, I’ve just taken this test seriously, huh, and I’d prefer “to go on until the drawer is empty”… it’s just more efficient than trying to count the socks! Think about it, you need two passes instead of just one, because you need to do the job anyway! Programming (well, at least the programming I do) is all about efficiency! :slight_smile:

Well, nevermind… I’m an “Arty”, okey… gotta spend the rest of my weekend working on that bug we have in production… testers will be waiting for it on Monday… “Arty”, huh… :))))

BTW, finished my 1st trial robot today (mechanics was the tough part for me), my kids got really excited and played with this simple thing for hours, so I’m probably going to put it into My Robots section very soon. Frits, I really appreciate the job you’re doing with LMR and with promoting PICAXE… it’s just awesome for rapid development, and I’m probably going to stick with it forever, until I need some complicated and super-duper fast processing. (Sorry for the off-topic.)

I actually think you are

I actually think you are very "arty"!

And that may just be a compliment, you know - I get "0" in score, so you may just be my best arty friend :smiley:

I actually only scored 2

I actually only scored 2 points… sorry to disappoint you :slight_smile:

WHAT!?! Which (number)

WHAT!?! Which (number) questions did you make 0 in?

(I dont believe you)

Thanks, buddy! :slight_smile:

Thanks, buddy! :slight_smile: