Spurt - Line following Beambot

Spurt is a brainless line following Beambot. It is based on the Spurt-Mobil from the University of Rostock / Tech. University of Berlin. It is a very cheap robot platform, easy to build.

Parts needed:

• 2x motors Mabuchi FF180 12V
  • 2x rolling bearings 680
  • 6cm round bar from beech 8mm
  • 2x wood dowels 8mm
  • 1x ballon
  • 2x BC337 NPN transisitors
  • 1x CNY70 photo reflex coupler
  • 1x 1.2kOhm resistor
  • 1x 470Ohm resistor
  • 1x 47Ohm resistor
  • 1x 9V battery
  • 1x  battery clip
  • 20cm wires red/black
  • 1 piece of veroboard
  • 3x 2pin headers/female headers

The scematic is quite simple. The CNY70 refelective sensor is connected to transistor T2. On a white surface the photo transistor is on and T2 drives the left motor, T3 is switched off. On a black surface the photo transistopr is off and T2 is switched off, too. T3 is switched on, driving the right motor. This is how the robot is navigating between the black line and the white area.

All electronic parts has been placed on a littel piece of veroboard. It is easier to replace the electronics for further work.

The chassis is made of wood. An ice cream stick holds all the part, attached with hot glue. The motors have no gears. Lline shafts build from a ballon has been used to drive the wheels (standard inline skater rolling bearings).

Further work:

I think about a double line sensor board, a light follower board and an obstacle avoider beambot. Maybe a CPU based version later.

Line following

• Actuators / output devices: 2x 12V motors FF180
  • Control method: none
  • CPU: none BEAM
  • Operating system: none
  • Power source: 9v battery
  • Programming language: none
  • Sensors / input devices: CNY70 reflective sensors
  • Target environment: indoor flat surfaces

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/spurt-line-following-beambot

What an awsome little thing!

What an awsome little thing! I am truly amazed at it’s simplicity, size, and functionality. The rubber band solution is really a clever solution, and an easy way to do gear ratios on the cheap. Good job!

Very minimal and very

Very minimal and very interesting construction.

I am curious how you keep the rubber band on the wheels…guess it will slip off when the bot turns…

Creative #1

Works bretty good with no brain. Can’t get much smaller for home made for sure.

Thank you guys. In the

Thank you guys. In the beginning I was sceptical about the rubber band solution, but it works pretty well. As long as the motors and the axis were in parallel. OK, the rubber bands don’t last long, you have to replace it a lot.

**Inspired !! - Less is truly more **

Great little machine this - just goes to show what you can do with very little

Nice little bot,and I like

Nice little bot,and I like the bearings and rubber band coupling :)  Aren’t you using diodes to protect your transistors?

Good point, Korel. I will

Good point, Korel. I will add some flyback diodes soon.

I’m learning too my friend :slight_smile:

I’m learning too my friend :slight_smile:

You can get it smaller,

You can get it smaller, please look there: http://spurt.pbworks.com/Simpelmobil

Flat belts do not slip off

You can prove it by physics that flat belts dont slip of. Years ago the were used very widely: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Belt_(mechanical)

Physics tells that flat belts have the tendency to climb to the highest point of the pulley; wikipedia says: “Because flat belts tend to climb towards the higher side of the pulley, pulleys were made with a slightly convex or “crowned” surface (rather than flat) to keep the belts centered.” Indeed the bearings are flat, but a belt at the edge would “try to slip back”.

No Diodes needed here

Diodes would be needed if you had very rapid current alteration. But here all current alterations are much slow enough so you do not need diodes.

The Spurt Project

By the way, “Spurt” is our abbreviation of: S chool P rojects u sing R obot T echnologies (this acronym works in english and in german as well):

http://spurt.uni-rostock.de/en

I’m thinking about using

I’m thinking about using this design for a workshop at either or both of the children’s museum exhibit I’m planning or the NYC MakerFaire.

I wonder how cheap I can get those parts in quantity. If I could get it down to $5/bot, we could let people pay $5 to build their own bot and take it home.

$ 5 sounds very ambitious

$ 5 sounds very ambitious for me. Good luck for the exhibition.

Hi ignoblegnome, there are

Hi ignoblegnome, there are different types of the FF-180 motor, e.g. for 3 V. So you necessarily need to build a prototype with the very same type you will get shipped before you buy lots of them. Otherwise you could end up with a stock of parts whitch don’t fit.

Good luck

I can’t find those FF-180

I can’t find those FF-180 Mabuchi motors at 12V. All the listings for the FF-180 I see are for 3V motors.

I see the FF-130 at 12V, and the FK-180 at 12V. Is it possible you used one of these?

I’m struggling with the more simple version that Spurt described in his post above. I would like to try one more similar to yours for greater reliability.

I think I have the FF-180PH

I think I have the FF-180PH 10320. It seems that Mabuchi no longer produces this type.

The Kemo P055 seems to be similar to this motor

mabuchi-ff180ph.png

This is the type shield

ff180ph.png

Thanks for posting the

Thanks for posting the specs!

I think I might try the PC-130F-10370, available from Jameco. It’s got good torque (which I think is the problem I’m having with my current motors), and a nice voltage range.

Specification Value
Current @ Max. Efficiency (A)  0.15
Efficiency  43.9
Nominal Voltage (VDC)  9
Shaft Diameter (inch/mm)  0.078/1.98
Shaft Length (inch/mm)  0.377/9.58
Motor Diameter (inch/mm)  0.803 x 0.984/20.4 x 25.0
Specification Value
Speed @ Max. Efficiency (RPM)  6410
Terminal Type  0.08/Solder
Voltage Range (VDC)  6-12
Torque @ Max. Efficiency (g-cm/mN-m)  8.5/0.83