Robot InMoov 3D printed

Here is "InMoov", the robot you can print and animate. You have a 3D printer, some building skills, This project is for you!! This is a hand builded for a job (still picture commercial), it was supposed to be mobile but not animated and mostly be able to take human hand positions. Cables or fishing rods might be added in order to control it, but it was not the purpose of this work at first. I am now working on another model(for the fun), trying to animate it, I really would like to do it with computer control but I have never worked in that field.

It has evolved quite a bit since I started with designing the hand. Both arms are now fonctionnal with a torso and a head. I am using two Arduino boards controlled through MRL.

With the help of Myrobotlab and GroG, we will be trying to make the robot see and grab objects after a voice command.

For more parts and info, see:

http://inmoov.blogspot.com

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:17773

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18939

http://myrobotlab.org/service/inmoov

Here is a BOM I just did for a university that was asking.

Of course you need to have a 3d printer.
Hand and forarm:

2 arduino uno=28 euros ebay although I never found such a good price again.

12 servos MG995=84 euros ebay

Or 12 servos HK15298=180 euros Hobbyking( I recommand those because the others are cheap but they burn)

0,8mm nylon  thread/fishing rod= 5 euros hardware store

Miscealenous Bolts= 10 euros hardware store

1500gr natural ABS= 70 euros orbi-tech

Arm and shoulder:

8 Hitec HS805BB=240 euros ebay (better get even stronger in torque and faster)

Miscealenous Bolts= 10 euros hardware store

1500gr black, yellow, natural ABS= 56 euros orbi-tech

Head and torso:

I can't really give specs yet because I am not finished designing and printing.

Batteries + charger:  80 euros

Grabs, holds, drops, point finger...

• Actuators / output devices: 12 servos MG995, 12 Hitec 805BB
  • Control method: keyboard, Joystick, Motion pattern
  • CPU: Arduino
  • Operating system: Linux, Macintosh OSX, Windows
  • Power source: 6V 44A
  • Programming language: MyRobotLab, Arduino sketch, Serialterm

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/robot-inmoov-3d-printed

These would be hands for

These would be hands for MAAHR, was my first thought. Great job!

Nicely done!

Nicely done!

Thanks I hope to see other

Thanks I hope to see other little babies soon

Wow MAAHR seems to be a

Wow MAAHR seems to be a heavy project, don’t know if what I did can be at the level of its goal.

incredible !!!

incredible !!!

Shoot, where’s my comment???

Shoot, where’s my comment??? I wrote a comment on this post this morning, there was no other comment yet!

Anyway, I just wanted to say it’s awesome! Now I desperately want a 3D printer…

strange

Yes it’s strange, I had seen that it said there was comments but couldn’t read them… Thanks for your comments twice.

thanks!!

thanks!!

Perfect

This project is very good, i like :))

Super! Great job!

Super! Great job!

InMoov

What a leader. I’ve found another good site for information. Thanks hairygael.

Picture of Progress

InMoov-Assy-2012-Sto.jpg

Here’s a picture of hairygael’s Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA brother.

This is the Right Hand of hairygael’s submission to Thingiverse.com printed on a MakerBot Thing-O-Matic and a commercial printer.

Getting very close to

Getting very close to action! Thanks for posting pictures.

Cool update I can’t wait to

Cool update I can’t wait to see how far you will go with this!

Could you tell me what 3D printer you use? Also how did you make the silicone pads for the hand?

Hi

Hi, I’m printing the parts with a BFB 3D touch, but parts are designed to fit smaller printer. I know someone that prints it on a makerbot. As for the pads, I just poured some silicone directly on the ABS parts, I used accelerating hardener to make it fast, otherwise it would be uncontrollable. I found that it doesn’t holds very long, but gluing the pads again with silicone kit for bathtub makes it rather lasting. I tried this methode because I would like to inbed some FSR in them.(still need to order them though…)

Really cool. I’ll have to

Really cool. I’ll have to try that technique. Do you know if anyone has been able to print this on a Mendel?

You have an amazing Arm !

You have an amazing Arm !  Your mechanical magic Fu is very strong.  
So when should we hook it up to a computer and get a couple of camera’s attached to it so it can start grabbin stuff it sees ?

P.S. I love that you posted your info on thingyverse - you & open source rocks !

Seriously, We could use MRL and a web cam to provide position feed back and object detection -

As MarkusB said - These would be hands for MAAHR

Sure

For sure you can print this on a Mendel. Some people did already. Parts are designed small enough. I have a heated bed because I print with ABS. If you get too much warping with your printer, it might be an issue on some parts though. 

There is a lot that can be
There is a lot that can be done here and I hope that your "fun" will turn into something great for the world as a whole. Think about it, you can change the world by having fun. Thanks for sharing.

Robotic hands can really help those who need it in the future if you want to make your own so even though these fun things that people are creating are just fun, it could develop into more.