Recycled MicroBot

As this is make a recycled robot week, I have decided to put together a little object avoiding robot using a few bits ripped out of an old miniature line following "fire engine" toy and a micro radio controlled car that broke.

the parts

Parts used:

1 plastic sphere that used to contain a chewable toothbrush
2 tiny bottle motors from an old line follower
2 transistors ripped off the radio control car handset board
1 UV led (I bought 100 of these off ebay for £5 a while back)
1 Microchip 12F675 microcontroller for the brain
3 1.5v watch batteries
A whole bucket of patience

A dead simple robot - it has whiskers to detect collisions and two motors for locomotion. When the left whisker detects an object, it turns off the right motor for a short period and the same on the other side, thereby turning away from any obstacles.

The little plastic sphere is in two halves which click together quite tightly, allowing me the easiest access to the innards. I started by drilling two holes in the base and poking the motors through so they sat nice and snug. I also drilled a hole in the top for the UV led which will flash while the robot is in motion.

The software was very easy to write using the bert libraries for JAL. JAL is a great little language with loads of libraries available. It is free and designed specifically for programming PIC microcontrollers, though I would recommend familiarising yourself with assember before you start to use it, just so that you get a better understanding of what is going on inside the chip.

I assembled all the components, soldering them directly to the pins of the chip. You must do this as quickly as possible in order to avoid heat damage to the chips which can be quite sensitive to high temperatures. This was especially difficult as all the components are small and close together, and I only have a really crappy soldering iron so that didn't help....

The motors are driven directly from the power supply through the transistors as the PIC doesn't give enough current or something to power them (Note to self - really must learn about electronics instead of just leaping in at the deep end...!). Anyway, in order to slow themdown a bit, I used a bit of pulse width modulation on the outputs, this way they should still have enough power to pull the robot along but not turn too quickly that they have no traction or cause other problems. I also cleverly have the motors turning on and off alternately so the battery only has to power one motor at any given time!

So I managed to get everything working, put the whole thing together, it looks cute and is actually very small indeed. Only just over 2cm in diameter!! I connect the power and.......Nothing.

Dammit.

here he is!!Seems I tested the circuit running just one motor at a time and not both at the same time. I thoughtby alternating the on time of each motor I could overcome the drain but alas not. But never mind!! I run a cable directly to my prototyping board from the USB port of my PC that supplies a continuous 5v DC, so I can save on batteries while prototyping. I just modified this to run an umbilical to the robot, giving it a constant 5v with a bit more kick....I don't know if this is more amps, more watts or what. Perhaps someone could do us all a tutorial on power supplies - it sure would help me alot!!!

Anyway, the robot now goes, but he's too light at the front and the umbilical causes just a bit too much drag for him to cope with so he just sort of sits there jiggling about.

I definately need to get a better battery, but it will be tough finding one that small. I think I might have to dismantle a bluetooh headset or simliar to see what I can find inside!!!

In all, a bit of a failure at this stage. But I will improve on him as soon as I get a better power supply. I also think I will change his inputs to photoresistors to make him phototropic, perhaps varying the pulsewidth on each motor to give him a more organic feel when seeking out light sources... The possibilities are endless!

But lets get him moving first, shall we...?! anyway, it's 2AM now, so I'm going to bed, but check back soon for an update!!

Can anyone recommend a small and lightweight power source? I was thinking of using a supercap, but I can't get the one I salvaged to output a decent voltage...

Avoids objects

• Actuators / output devices: 2 motors
  • Control method: autonomous
  • CPU: PIC12F675
  • Power source: 3 rubbish watch cells
  • Programming language: jal
  • Sensors / input devices: Whiskers
  • Target environment: Desktop or floor

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/recycled-microbot

A UV LED? Thats pretty
A UV LED? Thats pretty funny. By chance do you know the lumen rating of it? Too bright and it can cause all the damage regular UV light can cause. BTW UV are my favorite LED’s because of its dangerous looking purple light :slight_smile:

Not sure of the Lumen Rating
I remember reading that they actually violet LEDs, near UV but not really close enough to cause any damage!

Solar? 2 (2x2) solar cells

Solar? 2 (2x2) solar cells could get a decent voltage if they have full light.

Then it’d be like a little cockroach, runs away when you turn on the light :stuck_out_tongue:

nvm
nevermind, it takes more like 4 of these: http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16397 this is by the way, a cool website for electronical odds and ends.

UV is the frequency between
UV is the frequency between 270-320nm, so if its between there it is considered Ultraviolet. I have a UV LED (310nm)

thanks!
That site is awesome!! I wonder if they ship to the UK at a reasonable price…

Seems like they won’t. From

Seems like they won’t. From their shipment page:

Merchandise from our company can only be shipped to the following countries:

Australia
Brazil
Canada
Hong Kong
Japan
Republic of Korea (South Korea)
Mexico
New Zealand
South Africa
United States (including U.S. protectorates)

If your country is not on this list we will not be able to ship your order. There are no exceptions.

I shall get them to post to
I shall get them to post to my friend in Japan, who can then post on to me. I like my components to have done seen the world before I use them.