Rc tracked monster vehicle

Tracks can be tricky

With tracks, the shorter the better, also the farther they are apart the better they seem to work. I’ve have had very good results using bike chain for tracks before, especially the kind with bent tabs…

|x

It takes awhile to put the chain together since every link is a connecting link, but everything you do with tracks is going to take long. As with any time you use tracks you should plan on some way of adjustable tensioning.

I never seen this kind of

I never seen this kind of chain link. You have to put a normal chain link between each fast link? That’s hard work!

I have tried running the

I have tried running the robot, it has worked well for 5 minutes, very well on concrete but when I started running it on earth or grass, it is dificult to turn and the relays can’ t handle the power becose it goes over 50 amps!

I would like to add a second batery and run on 24V, but I need a new way to distribute power to each motor with a soft start and maybe use MOSFETs or something.

I don’t know a thing about electronics, I would like help to make a H-brige or something, a good system as simple as posible.

Thanks

I’m sure it was great to see

I’m sure it was great to see it running. Maybe you can shoot some video of it moving on concrete before you make changes.

Here’s a great start to h-bridges on LMR, the H-Bridge Matrix. GroG collected the wisdom of quite a few LMR members in this post.

There you go for the video.

There you go for the video. Its with the others, above.

Whoa! She moves like a bat

Whoa! She moves like a bat out of hell! Very fast!

The track length is pretty long, which does make turning a little harder. Not that you want to do a major chassis rebuild (again), but you if you can shorten the length of track in contact with the ground, it will be easier to turn. You could add a set of smaller road wheels in a shorter row below the current wheels.

You can see on this picture how that is fairly common on tanks.

What an awesome beast.

And so fast. Will be watching this with interest.

A lot of the modern RC Helicopter ESC’s have soft start programmable into them, and the bigger ones are often rated at over 75amps.

The latest video is very

The latest video is very cool. I love seeing the robot’s camera point of view. How did you overcome your problem with not being able to turn on dirt and grass?

That’s much better

It turns better on earth and grass and it has a better clearence. I’ m still missing the belts for the gearing 4:1 instead of 2:1, that should make it untopable.

IMGP0855.jpg

Wow that looks so bad-ass!

Wow that looks so bad-ass! I’m glad my suggestion worked! Congratulations on an excellent robot build.

Other than re-gearing for 4:1, do you have any other plans for this monster?

Nice !

I hope the garden wasn’t planted !   Nice speed, it can double as a roto-tiller. Really like your home-built tracks and chassi - Have you gone MOSFET yet?  And if so, what are you plaining for brains?

No brains, no… Thats not

No brains, no… Thats not my thing. I prefer controlling my self, the base of the project was R/C. No MOSFET, only autobobile relays, micro swiches and high gauge cables! Glad you like it

Well, I’ d like to find a

Well, I’ d like to find a bodywork for it, that would be funny and it would look like a real rc car.

Thanks for your help

Some on this site might

Some on this site might argue that without autonomous capability your robot is not a robot.

I am not one of those people. Robot building requires a range of talents, and you had demonstrated quite a few with your build. Congrats!

Although I admit I’d love to see this monster driving around on its own, if that is not your thing, it does not matter. I’ve truly enjoyed watching it come to life, and maybe you will inspire some other builders to go further and reach higher. Rock on.

Suspension

How are you gonna introduce the suspensions? It looks like you attached the wheels to the chassis, it doesn’t looks like an easy task to change that

I first wanted to have

I first wanted to have suspension and fancy stuff, but I realized it was very dificult and this was my first robot, so I decided to make something easy. Maybe on the next one…

here is the latest video

here is the latest video (above)

Nice job my friend :slight_smile: I

Nice job my friend :)  I love those tracks as well. Powerful tank,lots of progress have been made,keep it up :slight_smile:

POWER!!

Nice track! Nice motors!! For the machine like this, I’d control it manually to prevent my base got destoried.

Absolutely powerful

Hey man, you stole my idea :smiley: I want to make one too, but have no time… Simply great work :wink:

I haven’t read the whole chat, so I don’t know if you have already said it… Where are the two motors from?