Questions for tread thingy

hey dudes, its me again
in my search for parts for my more beefy bot that i wanted to make o say…a few weeks back :laughing:, i rumaged(?) up a few spare parts from under my bed

i actually found an old toy i had called “TARANTULA”, u may have seen commercials on TV for this R/C “go anywhere thing” but anyway, it had some rubber tracks along with a system for moving these tracks, i ripped the thing apart and took the wheels for the system, so now combined with the gas R/C parts that i found, i have the back suspension system and differential for an R/C car with…ill just give you pictures…some other time :blush: , my dad took the digital camera on a trip to new hampshire…sry bout that

well, i cant really say anything without pictures except, is there a way to rig up a glow engine to a direct drive so it doesn’t lose and power in the gears and crap like that? cause in my R/C car it doesn’t really have much torq and idk if putting a direct drive on it will help with giving it with my torq and stuff…i no im never very good at descriptions so just ask if u need anything asked about it

Are you talking about connecting the clutch bell right up to the drive axle? If so, bad idea. Once you try to give it some gas the thing will probably start to stall out. Not to mention thats a lot of stress to put on the motor. You will definatly want to gear it down.

Aye, those glow engines turn at such a high rpm, that there has to be a clutch in between to bleed off all of that excess rpm.
As I was frustrated with before, there’s really no gearbox (nix those that are over five pounds) that can function safely at a directly driven 10,000 rpm’s.

And, let’s face it, the gearboxes that you’ll be using aren’t industrial-strength.
If you actually managed start a directly driven engine, you probably would end up making shrapnel out of your gearbox.

You could try to hook your ICE straight up to your tires, but the ICE would stall every time that you accelerated from a stop.

You might want to look into using that ICE as a generator to drive electric motors, in place of a battery.
I gave up that route, for a while, as I don’t have the electrical know-how, yet.

ok, then i will just go with an electric motor, much simpler, and i already have most of the parts for that, anyway, ill send some pics of what i have so far…can some one tell me how to post pictures?

What I do to post pictures is uplaod the image to image shack imageshack.us

After you upload to this free image hosting service they give you a variety of links that you can copy and paste into the forums. If the image is small, I copy the “direct” link and then paste it in the forums.

After you paste the link in the forums, you need to highlight the entire link by clicking and dragging over it, then click the “img” button on the compose window. What this does is add HTML tags before and after the link like this… http://www.YourSiteLink/YourImage.jpg.

You can either manual type in the tags infront of and after your link, or, you can highlight the link and simply click the “img” button and have it automatically inserted for you.

I hope that helps.

thnx for the info SN96, bnut i just found out that my dad left the connector cable for the camera at a friends house, and he is not ready to willingly go retrieve it, so, i dont think i have any images anytimg soon so i guess ill just try to show you what i have through some for of silliness… :open_mouth:

img441.imageshack.us/img441/1843/chassis2cf.th.jpg

i also have some rubber tracks and 4 wheels ecspecially designed for the tracks, 2 of which i attached to the back suspension system and will also attach 2 to the chassis for idler wheels

i no these rn’t the best pictures, but its the best i could dot without a camera…sry bout that :confused:

Chunga

I forgot to mention that if you are going to use thumbnail links from imageshack, you do not need to add the tags. The only time you need to add these tags is if the link does not have them, otherwise you will wind up with tags that show up with your image like you have above.

I have no idea what nick is talking about…

Anyways if your building a tracked vehicle and are only using one or two engines then you have to have a gear box. No other way around it.

Also I dont think your going to have good results with that RC car end. First of all the 4WIS is going to just screw up your treads. Not to mention the rear has built in tow in which will casue the wheels to no track correctly with the treads. If you going to be doing something of that scale, I would just buy an already proven design.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/products/images/31851B-chassis.jpg

that is a pretty nifty device u got there, whered u get that pic from?

anyway, i guess all that goosh means that my design wont work :angry: , hmmmmmmmmmm, i think ill just buy a bunch of antweight parts and build a tinny little version of what was once going to b a giant beast, or ill just make a smaller version of my original design…hmm descisions descions :smiling_imp:

Chunga,

Looks lika a Kyosho Nitro Blizzard chassis. I’m looking for the electric version. Very hard to find everyone is out of stock. Let me know if you find a source and I’ll do like wise.
:smiling_imp:

Flash Burns,

i can barley find anyplace that sells them nvm one thats in stock, i only found one store that was in stock but it was nitro and they didn’t ship over seas(it was in europe)

hobbymasters.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1029

Flash Burns, thats what ur lookin for, idk if they’re in stock, but they are expecting a new shipment mid-april (this info is at the bottom of the screen) its cheaper too

i think i may but one of these things, but then wheres the fun in trying to build your own? :smiling_imp:

ive also been interested in this vehicle
ultimate hobbies ultimatehobbies.com//index.html carries them and are expecting a new shippment in the next month or two. so says the woman i talked to

nick

ultimatehobbies.com//p691.html

Flash heres another site just in case…i found it on the site i stole from Nick :laughing:

I just talked to Jesse at UltimateHobbies and he informed me that if an internet order is placed prior to 02/28/06 shipping is free and the price for the Kyosho Blizzard EV will be 159.95 instead of 189.95. I’ve seen one up close and they are pretty trick. He expects them in by end of march. Also doesn’t know how many he’ll get, may only be a dozen or so units. So act quickly if interested. I’m going to get one as they are the ultimate tracked vehicle in my opinion. For those that don’t want to spend that kind of money or need that level of sophistication try Tamiya’s line of tracked bot platforms at

superdroidrobots.com/shop/ca … p?catid=55

Kind of hard to come by, but if you can get one, the Matilda chassis is very nice. Very versatile and robust. Used for several military projects. Probably also very expensive.

This pic dosn’t do it justice, since there’s no scale. The thing’s about 4 feet long.

http://isrg.nmt.edu/~ms/socom/i/robot/sm/picture004.jpg

25K per unit to be more precise. Though I often have money than cents (lol) I can’t see paying that kind of money for a tracked vehicle. On second thought my tax dollars have probably bought a piece of one. I wonder if they’ll let me borrow one for a while. hehe

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/matilda.htm

25 k eh? it better b able to mow a tree down, or do some other serious damage :smiling_imp:

They can’t quite take out a tree, but they are very robust. The one I worked with (picured previously) was somewhat souped up, but you could ride around on it just fine. Fast little booger too.

Here’s another pic of the one I worked on, in a more complete form:
http://isrg.nmt.edu/~ms/socom/i/robot/sm/drill.png

It was used as a mobile reconissance platform. The white saucer is a high-accuracy GPS. The black thing on the back end is a deployable video pod. The four vertical motors in the center are drills that could plant sensors in the ground. It was a cool project.