Project "routerbot" - an easy way to build a robot

This one should be good: picotux.com/, but it is not wireless.

I think that WRT54GL would be the best one from price/performance prospective. I don’t know any cheaper platform that is capable of running linux, has wireless capabilities and low price. If someone could suggest better alternative I would appreciate that.

Well you went the other way. I’m looking at the router as a cheap way to make a wiport. I’m not really interested in the linux or programmable aspect of your project. :wink:

Another alternative might be to use a bridge/print server/wifi game adapter along with a chip based web server. Below is some info on the Siteplayer web server chip. The chip has some capability to send out rs232 communications, but I’ve haven’t seen a real clear setup on it yet.

ringolake.com/pic_proj/servo … vo_SP0.htm

edit: below is a link with some technical details for web serial communication with the siteplayer.

tigoe.net/pcomp/siteplayer/s … rial.shtml

Thinks sockets, Jim. :wink: The router already does TCP/IP, so use the native capabilities. :smiley: I can already do sockets in Python. :slight_smile:

8-Dale

The router will probably need to be reprogrammed in some form or fashon to support custom applications. Most routers already contain web servers, but are only set up for router configuration and not I/O applications.

Right! It should not be difficult to setup a small socket server on a WRT54GL, which can be expanded as required.

8-Dale

Did you build a program to send commands through the serial port?

Yeap. All commands are implemented as shell script that is loaded automatically on each login. This makes commands for controlling robot available in shell. So right after login you can issue robot commands like “look up”, “turn left”. Just run those commands like you run “ls”, “vi”, “df” and other linux commands. You do not have to deal with serial port directly.

Why don’t you like “telnetd” and “sshd” “socket servers” currently implemented? :slight_smile: They are very expandable, just login and issue any command you want. You also have entire flexibility of shell script, so you can program all kids of loops, conditional behavior etc. You also can use entire power of linux so the robot can behave different ways depending on many factors like date, random number, user name etc. It also can send outside anything you want. Unfortunately WRT54GL doesn’t have USB interfaces so it can’t send pictures from web camera outside but I gonna fix that a bit later so it will be capable of keeping security perimeter too :slight_smile:

What is your internet GUI that you use to control the bot? How is the GUI generated? Does the GUI have mouse point & click control capability? I think web page based (HTTP) controls may be much more simple to develop and use than a telnet based GUI, but I would need to see your control GUI to really know more. As to cams, a wired network cam should work with most any router as long as the software loaded into the router chip still supports router functions.

Im kind of confused by this actually. Couldn’t you just use a USB dongle and the router to communicate wirelessly and create a GUI which outputs commands to the SSC-32’s serial port? Or is that what you have done. Im confused about the whole linux thing you guys are talking about.

Unfortunately you can’t do that with WRT54G series - they neither have USB nor RS-232 ports. You can hack the device and attach RS-232 interface to the router (the web is full of such hacks). What I proposed is a connecting SSC-32 right to TTL level serial available on the WRT54G board. This is cheaper and simpler approach.

You can use USB-to-Serial adapter with those routers that do have USB port, but typically such routers are more expensive and you still will have to reflash them with more appropriate OS like OpenWRT.

Check out this WRTSL54GS router. It looks like it might be good for hacking, and it is supported by OpenWRT (I checked), and probably DD-WRT (unconfirmed).

8-Dale

I know this router. It costs $105 (checked via pricegrabber) and requires USB to RS232 adapter which is another $10-20. I just tried to keep the project as cheap as possible.

However I agree that for anyone who has extra $60 and doesn’t have soldering iron WRTSL54GS might be a better solution. Thanks for pointing that out!

I’m working on the web interface. Unfortunately I’m a bit overloaded at my primary work, so the web interface + some extensions are delayed. I’ll post update in this thread as soon as it is ready.

Andrey,

In this first post I will introduce myself.

We’ve been looking for you for 2 years! A friend wanted to build a web operated robot with video and 2 way audio. He’s the idea man and mechanical fabricator, I’m the software engineer; but we’ve been missing the middle piece. We want this for a friend of ours who moved from the States to the Czech Republic. Skype is fine but it doesn’t let him wander around the shop. :smiley:

What we built 2 years ago is a platform with motors and controllers controlled through pwm signals, an r/c car radio, a WRT54GL on the platform running DD-WRT configured as a bridge, a 12v car battery for long running time (the kind with 6 cells so we can run wires for voltage in 2v increments), and a video web server plugged into the robot’s router.

What we haven’t had is a way to control the robot from a web page. We happen to have an SSC32 but didn’t know how to make it part of the robot.

We discovered your project today and are excited to add your controls to our robot.

Regards,
Keith

Keith,

Your project sounds very interesting. Do you have schematics/images/video about it? I’m very much interested in looking at the details.

Regards,
Andrey

There are no schematics. I’ll take pictures of it and gather some of the details and post them here this evening.

No pictures today. It took us all day to get the new router stuff working. I added a couple of comments to your web pages. Some time this week we’ll get the electronics back on the bot and everything should work. 8)

hey! amazing robot dude, but its possible to make one fron a different router, such a Dlink DI-524 airplus G wireless router? i have one lying around and i like to make a robot from this :slight_smile: also i have an ip camera, so i can use it to view the video fron the same computer that control the robot :astonished: another thing that i wish is to make a GUI (graphics user interface) or some kind of interface to control this robot more accurately and easily. For demos, this can be great!!!

awesome project!