Project "routerbot" - an easy way to build a robot

I just recently got a wireless router, but it is an Edimax BR6204WG (WiFi B/G). I also got an Edimax EW7318UG USB WiFI B/G adapter to go on W.A.L.T.E.R. with the Hammer Board, but the driver for it is not in the current official Hammer kernel (v2.6.22). The driver is in v2.6.23 and later kernels though, so I am hopeful.

I look at this router now and am wondering… What is inside this?? :smiley::smiley:

I bet there is Linux in there…

8-Dale

Yep to the Linux, have a look at :
wiki.piertopier.net/index.php/OpenWRT_howtos

Hmmm, I think next image I’ll prepare for the “routerbot” will make it work both as a robot and as a wireless access point :slight_smile:

Yeap, There is OpenWRT Linux version kamikaze 7.09 inside. I just preconfigured it so it uses WiFi to access network + added couple of scripts that facilitate control to the distribution. You can download read-to-go image and get the reflashing instructions here: Link

This project looks very Interesting…Adds to favorites. I have one of those same routers, Did you use some Software of some sort? If not, I’d like to build one too. :slight_smile:

I was talking about Linux possibly being inside my router.

8-Dale

No, he plugged the servos directly into the router and simply yells at his PC to make it issue commands. :unamused:

Try actually reading the thread before posting.

This is the router you used, No?

link

His initial posts states he used:

Which you can find at the same website by searching for “WRT54GL” here:

tigerdirect.com/applications … u=L48-2468

Not the same router.

I don’t really see much of a difference though…

The one you linked to is:
“Linksys WRT54G Wireless G Router - 54Mbps, 802.11g, 4-Port”

The one used in the project is:
“Linksys WRT54GL Wireless G Router - 54Mbps, 802.11g, 4-Port, Open Source Linux Version

I went ahead and bolded the most important difference for emphasis, because I’m nice like that. :smiley:

Oooh, I didn’t see that. Sorry. :open_mouth: I’ll have to go see if thats the same one I have…

Yeap, it is the same WRT54GL. I’ve got mine from newegg for $40 AR approximately (and they are still available there).

The instructions work not only for WRT54GL, but also some versions of WRT54G and WRT54GS. GS model is actually the best as it has more memory, but it is more expensive too.

The full list of compatible models is available here: wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware (check all WRT54* models).

All WRT54GL models are based on Linux (which is indicated with letter L in the model name). But that version of linux is not quite suitable for this project, so I’d recommend reflashing it with some flavor of OpenWRT. If you want it easy way - get the image from my website. But you can also copmpile your own version of OpenWRT.

So would this project work with Windows, or just Linux?

The LinkSys WRT54GL router runs Linux but works like any other router so would work with Windows, Linunx, and any other computer OS. It’s the WRT54GL (that GL is significant) that can be upgraded with Open Source versions of variious router software.

8-Dale

This particular router runs only different flavors of Linux and vxWorks. You cannot run windows on it as Windows minimum system requirements are way higher then whatever is insider that box.

If you are asking if it is possible to control this robot from Windows then the answer is definitely yes. You can control it from any OS that has telnet or SSH clients, including Windows, Linux, MacOS, FreeBSD, BeOS etc.

I meant control the robot from Windows. Thanks!

$40.00 and you can make any SSC-32 controlled bot work wirelessly?

The one I have here is powered from 9vac and 1000mA wall pack. If it’s a simple bridge rectifier perhaps you can just power it from 9vdc.

Well, $40 after rebate + S/H, but that doesn’t change overall price much. The sweet part is that you can develop any high-level protocol to control the servos. For now it uses command line and shell scripts, but it also could be web interface, WAP interface (so you can control it from a cellphone), standalone app that talks to some server running on that device and so on.

I’m powering everything from a 9.6V 1600mAh battery pack which is enough for at least 30 minutes of operation. I can’t say exactly how long it lasts but the one I use is several years old, so new one should last longer. The camera is actually powered from 9V battery, but you can connect it to the same pack too.

Very interesting! So what would be the minimum configuration in order to allow a PC to send it commands as if it were sending them to a serial port? Is that even possible? :smiley: