Project Phoenix Excel program + Manual

Zenta, this is simply amazing. I have been peaking at the Phoenix threads but never did see your videos. The movements are incredible. And so is your programming. Truly impressive.

I have a couple questions. Where do you download your program from?

How exactly does your program communicate with the controller?

What controller are you using?

Again, great work!!

Thanks! :smiley:

There is a link in the first post in this thread to my project page at lynxmotion.com.

I’m using PEP to create sequences and then export them to Visual Sequencer (SEQ). Then run the sequences from SEQ. I’ve also runned the sequences with the GP sequencer on SSC32.

I’m not using a controller for the time. But I’ve played with the GP sequencer combined with a controller, Atom Pro and Parallax propeller.
I think a combination of PowerPod and GP sequencer (sequences made with PEP) would be really great! 8)

Hi Alan,
Hmm :confused: the .csv file also contain the comments you add when making sequences. So if you add many comment (one for each step) I think you would have a sort of a “log”. The same comments you make in PEP are also available in SEQ and vice versa.

Hi Kåre,

Yeah, I think you’ve got it covered. I just need to work more with PEP and SEQ.

It doesn’t sound like PEP will directly download to the SSC32, or run it (but I could have missed something!). Any thoughts to adding these functions?

My current “sidetrack” (Loki) is only two legs, 4 servos. After moving the legs around a bit, I want to figure out a gait engine. How are you doing (or someone) in converting your sequences to a gait engine for the Atom Bot Board?

Alan KM6VV

Hi Alan,
No I don’t have any plans for that. I don’t think Excel is the right tool. From the begining when I started creating PEP my only goal was to make it easier to make correct IK travel for one leg when I tried to make sequences with only SEQ. Then I started to add a body, all six legs, then functions like rotation, tilt, roll etc. And finaly walking gaits and transition.

If you have made a sequence to work as a gait (in a loop) there are two ways:

1. Basic export from SEQ
  2. Using the GP sequencers

For your Loki I think basic export would be OK. But if your sequences are very large I think GP sequencers would be the best way.

Hi!

Before I start spending more time finishing the documentation/manual for PEP, I just want to hear if there are anyone who are interested in using PEP. Maybe this thread should have a vote question? (Beth, can you fix that to this thread? :wink: ).

The main reason for why I’m asking is that I don’t want to spend alot of my freetime for making a manual, if nobody are interested. (I don’t need the manual for myself… :wink: ) I would rather spend my time in making robot’s instead of writing documentation (ehm… :blush: writing documentation is also very boring… :wink: ).

Don’t misunderstand me, this is just a question to check if there are someone who are seriously interested in using PEP.

By the way, this video is a demonstrating of what is possible to do with PEP : youtube.com/watch?v=NUMGpDTm59w

Hi Kåre,

Yeah, I’m still interested! A little hard to get started otherwise.

I can appreciate the efforts to write a good manual.

For my Loki, I got simple 7 state sequences working with SEQ, “captured” them with a terminal emulator, and then copied them into my C source file. My controller program for Loki can then play the sequences to continuously generate steps. A little inefficient (parsing SSC32 strings), but it works. It turns out that it doesn’t require a lot of strings to move a little 4-servo 'bot. Nothing fancy, but a good way to start. Loki now has the means to directly input sequences and store them in the chip’s EEPROM. They can then be viewed, edited or played back.

Alan KM6VV

I’m very much interested. Keep in mind that the Phoenix kit isn’t even out yet. You’ll probably see a spike in interest once the kit is available and people are actively trying to use PEP.

PS. Congrats on your prize in the robot contest. It was good to see you win considering how openly you have shared all the work you’ve put into this awesome project.

Thanks for your feedback Alan and A-bot! Hopefully the interest of PEP increases when Phoenix is available.

I’m expecting my sample parts from the anodizer this week. After I approve the samples I should have the parts in another week. Thanks for everyones patience on this. It’s not going to be much longer. :smiley:

Great to hear Jim!
I’m almost finished with the manual too… :wink:
I’m on a holiday, but thanks to my old laptop I’ve found some free hours to get this documentation done.

Hi,

I’m finaly done with my documentation for PEP. I’ve also added some extra functions: true rotation along all axis (not only the simplifed Pitch and Roll function) and the writing function (I’ve not defined all letters yet…). But a cool part is that its also possible to define centre point of rotation in all dimensions also in height (Y) not only X and Z. I’ll post a video to demonstrate what I mean later.

Here is a screenshoot of PEP ver 1.06:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc6/ZentaOlbaid/Body-Coxa-hoved.jpg

BTW. I’ve just sent the documentation and PEP ver 1.06 to Jim.

Sorry for the delay - I’ve updated the Phoenix project page with the new PEP and manual files.
lynxmotion.com/images/html/proj098.htm

Hi!

I got an interesting PM today from Acicuecalo. He has made a hexapod named Hexpider and he is using PEP to control it. Check out this nice video youtube.com/watch?v=z6TTa27h81w.

It’s great to know that my work with the documentation part wasn’t a total waste of time :laughing:

Enjoy!

There is a series of articles in the planning stages for the Phoenix robot in Robot Magazine. The author is planning on utilizing your project in one of the articles. :smiley:

Sounds exciting! I was not aware of that. Actually there is a little note about Phoenix (Trossen contest) on page 15 in the latest July/August issue. But a series of articles sounds great! How come that you know about this, Jim? :wink:

I’m providing the robot to the author. :wink:

Ahh! I see… I’m looking forward to read the articles.

hi all

well i recieved my kit and assembled it with no trouble at all, pretty straight foward. had a little trouble with a USB to DB9 but it got solve easyly enough. now in trying the PEP and seq programs i am not able to load one into the seq. i keep getting an error message about missing keys. i followed the instructions in the PEP manual starting at exporting projects.

I used the file that came in PEP as my trial project. when i went to save it i only found a CSV(comma deliminited). but i used that, and got warning message that some stuff might be lost. I used the empty project and selected only the chanels for the servos in the project and saved it with the same name as the first file.

i moved both the csv and shp files into their own empty folder, then tried to inport ithem into seq but got the error message “missing key,project
sequence, step”

so now what should i do??? :smiley: :blush:

larry in alaska

Hi,
What Excel version are you using?

The .csv must be saved in semicolon delimited format, not comma…

I have not seen this kind of error message before. Maybe Laurent could give us an overview of all different error messages in SEQ? Anyway I just tried to do the same. Exported an semicolon delimited .csv file and renamed a .shp file to the same filename as the .csv file. And the importing part worked fine.

First, check that you .csv file are semicolon delimited. Ex. you can use notepad to open the .csv file and then you’ll see that all values are separated with a semicolon ( ; ).

BTW. When you add comments in a project, NEVER use wink :wink: ; ) in the comment field.

:wink: :wink: