NNW Rover prototype

well done. I assume you have something to box off the open front and back. Again, good job and dont forget to paint that bad boy. Make it look mean! :smiling_imp:

hey everyone, just wanted to get the post up of the rover with the tracks on it :smiley:

didn’t take me too long, nice and east, and yes u will observe that 1 side of the track it higher than the other and that was because of the bracket holding it together, i wouldn’t allow me to put the mounting thing any lower

the tracks are not finished yet, i still need to puts a piece of wood on the other side so it makes the tracks stronger, also the sprockets wont stay on very well :confused: so if i can get it to move, it going to start very slowly and then get up to speed :confused:

anyway, here are the pictures

putfile.com/pic.php?img=4855581
iso of rover

putfile.com/pic.php?img=4855583
side view of rover

putfile.com/pic.php?img=4855589
front of rover

tell me wat u guys think, everything is welcome and appreciated

looks pretty good. I geuss you can tell that the tracks sag in the middle but that can be resolved by drilling some holes and inserting some threaded rods with some spacers on them to hold the track up. Again, looks cool 8)

Lookin good man. I like those chain tracks.

yeah me too, looks like they came from some Toy tank I assume? :laughing:

Those almost look like the components from the matt-trax on the radio shack hummer.

No, it comes from the VEX kit, I thout I long time about buying it but finaly bought the BRAT. it’s a kind of kit that you can build, rebuild and rebuild stuff, you can go check it out, it’s sold at radio shack.

Sam

hmmm, now that you mention it I do recognize those from the VEX kit. I remember it from ROBOT Magazine about Adam Savage and Jamie Hynamen (mythbusters) building this track bot out of vex. They are some asome tracks But they run on servos. Chunga must have modified them to run on gearhead motors.

Ya they do look like really good tracks. Can you change the lenght at all? Or are the held together so you can’t take them apart. Nice job Chunga! :smiley:

Good job. I love the fact that the vent holes in the front are so well aligned :astonished: :laughing:

Yes, you can take them apart, but by maybe like 4 inch pieces… I think.

I like the tracks, but they look kinda cheap and like if they were to breack under strain, unlike the LM ones. and also that it has to be controled by servos doesn’t give me confidence in it, I know the LM ones won’t fail me, with good planetary motors onto them

Sam

Very cool Chunga!

I take my hat off to anyone who tries to make something from nothing. It aint easy. Design work requires a mind that can think of several details and even details that might become an issue later on down the road. I cant tell you how many times I had to start over on someting only to still find something I over looked.

I look forward to a video when you’re finished. :laughing:

yes, they can be adjusted, actually the links are only about .5 in long and they are all removable

they are hard plastic, but by no means easily breakablei have tried to pull these apart and break them to test them…no use

ty very much SN96 :slight_smile:

well, now, the news, i got it running, it works excellent and it almoost pulls a wheelie from a stop to full throttle :open_mouth: its awesome

for now, i hooked up the VEX radio reciever and stuff however, since the reciever and stuff are so darn big…i have to latch it down to the outside of the rover :laughing: looks a bit odd right now :laughing: i going to try and find a place to put everything if i can fit it somewhere >_>

its out of poeration, otherwise i would post a video :confused:, the motors are a bit torquey, they ripped off the sprockets :open_mouth: :laughing: :angry:

oh well, ill find a better way to get them to stay on and ill post a video as soon as possible :wink:

wow! your project is going great! I know, I have already tried to do stuff out of scratch, it’s real hard, espacialy taht taht was almost 2 years ago and I didn’t have any materials

LMAAAAO :stuck_out_tongue:

well, i fixed the sprocketsby drilling holes in them and using screws to hold them on with pressure, it works very well, i took some videos last night and ill get them up as soon as im out of school

i have a video of speed (layed out 5 feet so u can get and idea of how fast it is), a video of some showing of torque (anyone like tractor towing :stuck_out_tongue:) and i have one if it just driving around and having fun

ill ttyl wen im outta school :unamused:, later

i have good news and bad news. good news, i have the videos and i will post them at the bottom of my podt :smiley:

bad news, again, my overly torquey motors not only ripped out of the sprocket, but it also ripped the sprocket in half, break the piece that goes onto the motor shaft :angry: its not too ttoo bad though, i amd using a stand off, some inginuity and plenty of hot glue and i think it will be fixed :stuck_out_tongue:

now, for the videos (really sry about the quality, it looked much brighter on the camera :angry: :confused:)
media.putfile.com/Speed-Proto
this is the speed demo

media.putfile.com/Torque-Proto
anyone like tractor pulling :laughing: 2 of my heaviest texts books from school :open_mouth:

tell me wat u guys think, i’d like to be able to get more traction so i can see wat i can really pull, so i cant wait to get the LM tracks :slight_smile:

:open_mouth: Wow, thats a speedy lil fast bugger!! I wasn’t expecting it to be that fast and strong. If you wanna get more traction, keep the entire track down on the ground by putting a weight on the front.

Have you tried running the rover with the text books on top of the rover? I think that would be a bit harder than it would be to pull them.

Good work man, can’t wait for the lynxmotion tracks to come in.

ok now I’ve got the immediate satisfaction jones going and want to hook an r/c radio up to mine.

must… fight… temptation!!!
:smiley:

lol, did you calculate the speed yet? I did for mine just now for my science fair project and I got this : average meters per minute,

7.7m in 5.5s. I calculated the average speed per minute below:

Convert seconds to minutes. 5.50s / 60.00s = 0.09min

Vav = Δd = Vav = 7.7m
--------Δt------------0.09min = 85.56m per minute.

From these calculations I can predict that the Spy 2 can travel an average speed of 85.56m per minute.

I think this is correct for calculating the average speed. Let me know if it isnt.