Newb looking to build a tracked / wheeled rover type robot

Hello! I’m new not only to this forum (first post) but also to robotics. I want to build a tracked or wheeled “all terrain” robot with pzt camera capabilities which will transmit video to an RC remote with screen. Some sort of lights for dark places /night time would be great too. If anyone can point me in the right direction as far as what I will need to accomplish this I would greatly appreciate it. I know robotics in general isn’t a “cheap” hobby; however, seeing as how I’m just starting off and also doing it to get my son into something other than video games, I’d like something that is doable within the $600± price tag. Doesn’t have to be the best, most high tech, but something sturdy, that works and is up-gradable…a good base to build on. Thank you in advance & I really look forward to being a part of this community!

Hello @aoviedo and welcome to the RobotShop community!

I want to build a tracked or wheeled “all terrain” robot with pzt camera capabilities which will transmit video to an RC remote with screen. Some sort of lights for dark places /night time would be great too.

That sounds great but the $600 budget is a bit limiting. However, I’ll list the essentials so you can decide what to invest in.

First of all, you’ll need a chassis, you can find some great options in the Wheeled & Tracked Robots section of the store, some great options are:

All of those include the chassis and the motors, but not all include the motor driver. Also, note that not all the kits in the wheeled and tracked robots section include the same so make sure you read what’s included.

In case you choose a kit without a motor driver you will need o purchase it separately, in order to choose one you’ll have to check the nominal voltage and continuous current of the motors included in the kit and also look for a R/C controller (here are some tips for choosing one but if you have any questions feel free to ask).

To control it remotely you will also need a transmitter and receiver, you can find some good options in the Wireless RC / PWM Servo Controllers. Here’s a good option:

Some kits already include all of the items listed above, plus the wires to connect all together so they can be a bit more pricey but they’ll save you some time, for example:

You will also need a battery (here are some good tips for choosing one) and a battery charger that works with the battery chemistry you choose (and the connector etc.).

If you already have the camera you will use keep in mind that that will also need a power source and it will most likely require a different voltage to power it so you’ll either need a different battery pack or a voltage regulator. If you don’t have the camera you can check the Cameras & Vision Sensors section for some options, a good one for night vision is:

But if you choose that you will also need to get a Raspberry Pi (and in case you are not familiar with, this is a Single Board Computer) if you choose to get one this will allow you to upgrade the functions of your rover by adding sensors to make it autonomous. You could also opt for a similar route by getting an Arduino (which is a microcontroller that would also allow you to add sensors) and get a compatible camera module.

You will also need the pan and tilt system, you can find some options here but note that some of those include the servos and some don’t.

And finally, as you mentioned you are new to robotics I think the “How to Make a Robot” tutorial series could help you out.

I hope this information is helpful to you!

Good luck with your project :smiley:

1 Like

Wow, you’ve given me a lot to read and learn! You are amazing, thank you!!!

1 Like