Motor controller for 6 wd Wild thumper

I’m looking to build a 6 wd drive wild thumper, RC controlled with lights and a camera. Does anyone know of a diagram or parts list for this type of build? Thanks for your answers. Jerry

Hello @JSummerlin1 and welcome to the RobotShop community,

If you are planning on getting the chassis kit with motors then you would only need the motor controller and the transmitter/receiver.

To choose the motor controller you need to know the voltage and continuous current of the motors, the 6WD Wild Thumper has 6 6VDC motors with 5.5A stall current (we can approximate the continuous current to 1.3A). If you connect 3 motors in parallel you will need about 4A continuous. So you need an R/C dual motor driver that works at 6V, can provide at least 4A continuous on each channel, one option is this one:

But you can find other options here. You will also need a wireless control, you can find some options in the Wireless RC / PWM Servo Controllers section of the store.

For the camera you can find some options in the Cameras & Vision Sensors and the UAV & Drone Cameras / FPV sections and you may also want to check the Pan & Tilt section.

And last but not least you will also need a battery, a compatible charger and wiring harness (check the Power Systems section)

And you may also want to check these:

I hope that helps!

Im going with a 7.2V 5000mAh NiMH Battery for power to the wheels. Do you recommend a power switch between the battery and controller and a voltage regulator? Thank you for responding. I have built 2 crawlers so far but neither has made it to the field for daily use. Thank you for your response. Jerry Summerlin

Which motor controller are you going to use? The Scorpion Mini? If that’s the case then you don’t need a voltage regulator, unless you are going to use a camera module and a microcontroller because these will most likely require a different voltage. And yes you can add a power switch if you’d like to.

Yes, the scorpion mini motor controller ordered today. I am adding a camera, lights, and a servo controller.

Thanks for your response
Jerry

1 Like

Is there a possibility the Scorpion XL 2.0 Dual 12.5A, 5.5V to 28V Single R/C DC Motor Driver would work for the 6 wheel drive Wild thumper? The wiring connections are small and difficult to work with for the Scorpion Mini Dual 6.5A 6V to 28V R/C DC Motor Driver. Also, where do I go to put my picture in my account?

Thanks for your response. Jerry Summerlin.

Yes, you can use the Scorpion XL 2.0 Dual 12.5A, 5.5V to 28V Single R/C DC Motor Driver.

Also, where do I go to put my picture in my account?

You can change it in your profile (you can access it by clicking the icon at the top right of the page, then click on edit profile)

Thanks for the great support. Jerry Summerlin

1 Like

So my radio for my crawler is Spektrum DX6, receiver Spektrum AR620. Motor Controller Scorpion XL 2.0 Dual 12.5A, 5.5V to 28V Single R/C DC Motor Driver. I am currently getting a signal green steady light and when I move the left stick on the Spektrum DX6 The left side tires barely move like a chatter movement. I have tried the small white four switches off and on to no avail. I tried a different channel on the Spektrum AR620 At present, I’m lost.

Thanks for all your help. Jerry Summerlin

Hello!

Sorry for the delay, where you able to solve the issue? If not, could you share some pictures of the setup?