New A4WD1 rover kits available... Finally!

The official announcement isn’t until tomorrow, but I’m letting the forum know early. The new A4WD1 kits are in stock. We will be working on add on decks, accessories, and combo kits in the upcoming weeks.

Kits…
lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=110

Assembly Guide…
lynxmotion.com/images/html/build122.htm

Congrats on the release of the new A4WD1 rover! It looks very cool. Yay for metal body!

Does the “Aluminum 4WD Rover Kit” include motors and wheels? Or is it just the aluminum and lexan?

-robodude666

I was wondering this also (I saw it on friday, but thought I’d wait to ask in case it was a draft web page).
It would be good to have a kit contents list like the old ones have. Cause they came with some wiring harnesses too I think. It would suck to not order we needed, or have two of something we didn’t.

Any photos with the add-on decks?

Also, It looks great! Thanks for all your good work!

Nice to see the new rover announced, Jim. Two questions:

1. Can you let us know now what other variants you’re planning? Will there be an aluminum version of the old 4WD3?

2. Does this rover use the new, more rigid tires you mentioned would be available soon? Where can I buy a set of those tires for my Regis robot, which is built on the 4WD3 platform? Its current tires are too squishy.

In the discontinued thread, Jim mentioned there will be new versions of each… I think =/

I believe this one is actually the replacement for the 4WD3. As I recall, Jim said there will not be a replacement for the 4WD1(the smaller one).
If you were after the articulated version (like the old 4WD2), I believe Jim will be working on one of these. Also, there is talk of an articulated 6WD.

I expect Jim will confirm this, but this is my understanding.

I will be adding more information to the A4WD1 rover kit page today. What is up right now is simply a “sneak peek” of sorts. Don’t worry – we’re not going to be taking information away, I just haven’t yet had a chance to finish.

@robodude666: Yes, of course motors, hubs and wheels are included. We will likely be offering a “chassis only” kit for the SES later on, which will NOT have these items, but I don’t have much definite information on it.

@Kroony: I will be adding the content list today, don’t worry. Yes, the kit includes a battery connector wiring harness (WH-01) and four motor connection wires. We should be able to get many more pictures taken soon, but that’s a secondary concern to the information. :wink:

@touretzky: Ah, I’ll have to pass on answering these questions. Sorry!

This kit is the direct replacement for the 4WD3 robot. The 4WD1 is gone forever due to not being able to source the 3.5" tires and rims to fit the new heavy duty hubs.

There will be several “versions” of this kit as combo kits. They will include all of the components necessary to make a fully functional robot for; Stick radio RC, PS2 RC, autonomous, etc.

I do have the narrower front and rear panels to build an articulating chassis like the 4WD2, but it has the same problem as the original one, very cramped space to put the batteries and electronics. I’m still very much on the fence concerning the 4WD2 varient.

I intend to do some 6WD rovers. Sadly I have not been able to make much headway on them.

We are shipping the kits with the new tires. We will also make them available in the Wheels section of the website.

Jim you are truly a great engineer of innovative hobby robotics. When I built the BRAT, I was impressed with how everything went together.

You blow away the Junk Crawler guys. :laughing:

:open_mouth:

$220 for a rover without electronics? T__T Makes me want to get it! Damn you! Why does lynxmotion have to have the coolest kits and best prices?

Very nice work. Can’t wait to see what other combos you’ll offer. Keep up the great work jim & beth!

-robodude666

OMG! What a breakthrough of rover technology! :smiley:

Can we have tracks on that?
Road wheels would be really nice…

Aluminum chassis for tracked vehicles are coming.

We are selling the chassis, motor wires, power cable, and hubs. You can get any 12mm hex hub and your choice of 2.2" “road” tires.

lynxmotion.com/Product.aspx? … goryID=110

Um, in the context of asking about tracks I would bet lewis was referring to road wheels supporting the track between the sprockets vs. a slider type support rather than a tire meant for a road/paved type surface. 8)

Here is the first image with the AOD-03. More to follow…

Do you have any advice about using the GHM-4 motors on the A4WD1?
Is it really sluggish or have abnormally low battery times? I’m trying to keep a
minimum of 20in/s for top speed, but would like more resolution than the
GHM-15 for encoders is why I ask… Do you know if you can get the GHM-15 with
a higher resolution somewhere?

Hi Jim,

Nice looking 'Bot! You went with the lexan arm and wrist, rather then SES?

I can see that wrist construction of this sort is probably not currently possible with SES. Might make some interesting new parts!

Alan KM6VV

This is a completely wild guess but I think he used the lexan arm so he could photoshop in the www.lynxmotion.com logo into the picture. :laughing:

HI Eddie,

That may very well be! But I’d be inclined to get a large stick-on label of the Lynxmotion (yellow) logo, and plaster it onto the top black surface of the 'bot!

Alan KM6VV
P.S. Thanks for the kind words!