Modifying a Lynxmotion 12V 480 rpm 21.23oz-in 1:5.2 Brushed DC Gear Motor w/ Encoder

Hello,

I have a couple of students who want to remove the encoder from the aforementioned motor and replace it with an Electric Speed Controller (https://amzn.to/2YLafgq). As I watched them almost take a soldering iron to the back of the motor I was extremely worried and stopped them just in time! What they were doing didn’t make any sense to me. Why would someone dismantle a brand new motor? To me, it was just a case of some kids thinking they were smart enough to make rash decisions. Can anyone out there explain to me why this is not a good idea? They thought it was no big deal. Seems like something that requires a wealth of knowledge before embarking on such a task!

Kind regards,

Brock Baxter

Hello @Mr_Baxter and welcome to the RobotShop community,

It’s a good thing you stopped them! First of all, the motor you mentioned is a Brushed DC motor, and the ESC you linked is a Brushless ESC. Controlling a brushed motor is an entirely different process to controlling a brushless motor so Electronic Speed Controllers (ESCs) are designed specifically for the type of motor. ESCs for brushed motors will only work with brushed motors and ESCs designed for brushless motors will only work for brushless motors.

Second, why would they remove the encoder? If they don’t want to use it, simply don’t connect it! However, using them is very beneficial because the encoder allows you to get measurements of position, speed, direction, and more.

Certainly you must have some knowledge to select how to control the motor. However, it is not that difficult but I do suggest reading a little before, as you say, making decisions. Here are some excellent tutorials for you to show your students:

I hope that helps!

Hi @geraldinebc15,

You have been extremely helpful! This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hello Again,

How do we know which ESC to use with the aforementioned brushed motor? It probably can’t be just any brushed motor compatible ESC can it?

Hi!

Please check the “DC Motor Control” section on the “Choosing a Motor Controller” tutorial.

But in general, you must take into account: the nominal voltage, the continuous current, the control method and the number of motors you want to control. In your case this is:

• Nominal voltage: 12V
  • Continuous current: approx 2A
  • Control method: I2C, PWM, R/C, Analog, Serial (?)
  • Number of motors: 1, 2 (?)

You can find some options here, just make sure of fulfilling the requirements I mentioned.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!