Mike's New Biped

I’m going to bring this over to the projects section instead of where I was posting.

Here is my new bot. I had to get some extension cables for the servos but it is now all tied up and not a huge mess.

Pictured below is the bot standing up. The high pitched whining noise is deafening. Is there a way to balance this out so its not so loud?

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/3475/sh101710fb9.jpg
~Mike

Awsome bot!

I would love to see a you tube video of this thing in action!

It looks mean! Missing a gatling gun or two though. Ditto, would love to see a few videos of it in action.

P.S. Are those two 19" LCDs?
P.S.S. Is that screws or drugs in the Rx bottles? =P

The noise from the 5990’s is louder than the 5645. I do not know why they chose a PWM frequency that kills younger mens ears so. I’m in my mid 40’s and no stranger to the electric guitar in my youth, so I can’t really hear them at all. But when I ask my son James to do a project with my SES arm that has all 5990’s he outright refuses. He says it splits his head right open. :frowning:

very nice,you did a nice job on all the wiring.

P.S i really don’t understand what the point is of having two screens,why not just have one 38" :stuck_out_tongue:
P.S.S what does P.S.S Mean :wink:

Oops I forgot to say… Hey nice build! :smiley:

Very nice wiring indeed. Did ya see my wiring? It was horrid!

P.S. Because a 38" is only 13xx by 7xx. Two 19" is 2560 x 1024. More area to work. Its not the size, its the resolution :wink: I’d get two 24" over a 60" any day. But would get a 30" over two 24".
P.S.S. PS is postscript, back in the day when then there wasnt a computer that could edit stuff people had to use PS. If you finished your letter and needed to add something, instead of starting over you would put P.S. and add your thought. P.S.S is post-postscript which is used if you need to add something else. For every new thought you add an extra P. to the beginning.

The ringing in your head is not from the servos, its all the drugs you took to make room for the screws. :laughing:

You sure your not just losing your hearing from old age? :wink: :smiley:

JK :laughing:

Worthless without a video.

(my way of asking to see those 5990s in action)

I second that ! we need a video…

Wow, ok, i’ll answer questions by topic. LOL

Video: Not yet, because it doesn’t move yet. I just got it put together and wiring done last night. I’ve not used the program before and am still learning. As soon as I get something working, i will make and post a video.

LCDs: I have a 22 inch widescreen on the left and a 19 inch standard on the right. The 22 is the main screen and usually contains a browser or game. The 19 incher usually has chat boxes open and lately, episodes of Star Trek: Voyager.
I think a 38" would be a bit big for my desk. Perhaps for the TV across the room though.

Drugs or screws? All the bottle contain screws, nuts, bolts, servo ‘rivets’, bearings, washers, and other parts. My grandma gives me them.

I’ve seen some other peoples videos. I’ll try and make mine interresting and hopefully i can show off the strength of the servos.

~Mike

P.S. Thanks SN96!
P.P.S. Thanks robodude666!
P.P.P.S. Thanks Robot Dude!
P.P.P.P.S. Thanks wowy7!

P.P.P.P.P.S. …ok, enough of that. lol

Can’t wait for the videos!

22" Nice! It looks like a 19". I also have a 22" + 19". Both Samsung Syncmasters. 22" is a 226BW “C” and 19" is like a 931c Both nice monitors. I too use main for browser/games/main stuff and 19" for chat windows. Works well and saves a lot of time!

Yea, those drug bottles are very handy for storing little screws and such.

P.S. Woot! I was second =D

Hi!

Very cool biped you got there! Looking forward to see it walking.

-Zenta

Are there any step-by-step tutorials available? I just can’t seem to be able to figure out how to create sequence steps correctly.

~Mike

Well for a second there I thought I was making progress. I start him in a crouched position and hit Append for the step. Then moved sliders to the next position and hit append. I could go back and forth between the two and it would go from a crouch to standing and back. Great. Then I had it stand up even higher and hit Append, went back to 1 and the right leg kicked out behind the damn thing. Sigh…

Please tell me it’s something stupid on my part and not faulty controller or servos.
About to go to work, will be back at 2am Central time to play some more.

~Mike

I haven’t figured that out yet. Even when initializing the SSC32, I sometimes get a servo that doesn’t want to do what its told. There are enough amps, the settings are all correct (setting everything to 1.5 and then reloading always fixes it)…

There’s a sample scout walk at the bottom of this page. Do check out the Brat tutorial linked to there as well.

(Off topic: Thanks for cleaning up the last url I posted, Beth, I’ll try keep them neat from now on)

Don’t you hate when work gets in the way of play? :laughing:

So, I’ve been playing with this all day. I have a small simple sequence finally set up. All it does is stand up from a crouch and then shift weight over to one leg but with both feet still on the desk. I started to lift the left leg so that the entire weight was on the right leg. A few moments of that and it shut down and fell over. I think I know what the problem is though. The servos are robbing power from the micro, causing it to either brown out or shut off completely. I guess I’ll have to use a second power supply (9V battery I guess).
~Mike

Hmm, seems my bench power supply can’t handle the power. I connected it to its own battery and it does just fine. Here is my very first video. Let me know what you think!
youtube.com/watch?v=EJO2vxKa5Y8

~Mike