MEEP! WhoMe? In Progress

Well, here is step 1.

Been working on getting what to me is a major step. Right now, Arduino is sweeping the a servo with a Ping ))) mounted on it. Got that working and feeding back readings in in millimeters. Those are currently being fed into a simple graphing setup in Processing. It's right nice.

Major thanks to Myc for help.

Named inspired because someone said it resembled Beaker (muppet)

Current Results: Those curves are scan and rescan of a cup that was in the way.

Report distance in mm every 5° in a 180° sweep by graph in Processing

• Actuators / output devices: Parallax standard servo
  • Control method: Arduino Duemilanove via USB currently
  • CPU: atmega328
  • Operating system: Win 64 Vista
  • Power source: USB, 13vDC Wart, 12vDC Wart
  • Programming language: Arduino Processing
  • Sensors / input devices: Ping))) Ultra Sound
  • Target environment: Indoor or outdoor

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/meep-whome-in-progress

Funny robot face
Funny robot face. Looks like Beaker from the Muppet labs :slight_smile:

Answers & Questions

• Under the ping is a laser diode (extracted from a laser pointer or laser gunsite, can’t remember which one that is). It fit almost perfectly in the grommet supplied for the ping wires to go through.
  • Ping upside down because the wire/header/connectors were so long that they obscured the laser
  • I agree, the way i took the picture kinda made the wires look like hair, and the laser like a mouth…I kinda like it.

Anyone know how to do the polar type display? I have seen a few, but they’re for programs I either don’t have or am exceptionally clueless how to use. I have MS visual studio pro available, but thats the clueless part. I have processing too. With processing and the arduino IDE I’m at about a 3/100 proficiency, really at the tweeking existing code very slightly.

one example similar to what I’d like to see: from the parallax forums http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=6&m=129099

|x

Does it hurt anything or
Does it hurt anything or change results to be upside down? Logic would tell me know but my logic is regularly anti-logical

polar type display

Do I understand correctly that your problem is showing your readings from VStudio?

If that is the case, maybe this can help:

http://www.instructables.com/answers/Can_you_control_an_Arduino_with_Visual_Basic/

In your Arduino program you have to send the readings using Serial functions. For example serial.println(angle) and then serial.printl(sensor_reading).

And on the PC side you need to program a loop reading serial messages and painting the dots, as explained in the previous link.

I hope it helps.

Polar Display
I’m actually using a simple serial input graph, linear graph(bar graph actually) to display the values. I’m doing it in processing. It’s ok, but it’s a linear scan and not very realistic in terms of the shape of the room and the line of sight as scanned.

**Chart of scans. **

Trig?
I think applying some trigonometry to your scan angle + scan distance would get you an X/Y that you could plot.

Part of the problem on it is

Part of the problem on it is that I don’t know enough about coding to start from scratch. I’ve been able to learn what i have so far by adapting code that i’ve found, having to figure out what it’s doing where to be able to change it. Backwards approach, I know.

I’ve gotta check that instructable linked earlier. Right now my biggest problem is why the movement of the servo is inconsistent when doing sweep and ping.