mechDOG (robot dog based on Arduino and LSS)

Nice - Lot of hand work in here. I am usually lazy and cnc everything…

2 Likes

Improved gait.

Now we’re just going to have have to figure out how to get it to wag its the antenna. It looks happy and like it’s eager to please! I think these two would get along well together!

2 Likes

That’s right! :smile:

1 Like

Great job, thanks for share!

1 Like

Outstanding work…again. This has to be my new favorite small quad…as opposed to the large and much more expensive Boston Robotics ones.

The whole thing is very tidy. I also can’t believe how natural and quick the movement it is. Your hard work on the programming is really showing in the quality of the movement. I have never tried a quad, perhaps you will inspire me yet again to reach for something more. I would like to make a walker using linear actuators.

By the time I do, you’ll probably have a 2-legged robot like the “Cassie” robots.

Keep up the great work,
Martin

2 Likes

Hi All,

We are working with dickel to build a version of mechDOG that will be available from Lynxmotion. The overall design was changed to keep “special” parts to a minimum and use already available Lynxmotion brackets.

Currently waiting on the chassis plates (prototype) to put it together but here is a look at the CAD drawings.

6 Likes

Thank you very much, Martin!

I liked the idea. I always wanted to test some linear actuators … I haven’t had the opportunity yet.

2 Likes

I feel like it could be interesting… especially if you want to lock them in place without using (much) power.
The main issue I imagine you would face with this would be when trying to dynamic motions as linear actuators, when applied directly to the “joints”:

1. do not typically move very fast
  2. are not easy (or at all) back-drivable
  3. and following point #2, quite “stiff”

I feel those three points may make it difficult to balance over uneven surfaces.

This person certainly tried something… I don’t think they completed it though…

And then you have people like him and his project! :stuck_out_tongue: Though he does say at around 1m40s that his linear actuators are custom made to be faster… :open_mouth: so I guess speed with those is indeed an issue!

2 Likes

Or like THIS

3 Likes

Assembly of the prototype side brackets for testing.

6 Likes

These actuators look very good … good speed and performance. I think that maybe they could be used on the knees on a quad.

2 Likes

It’s getting really good!

2 Likes

It’s been a long time since I’ve visited this forum, but I’m so glad I did today. This chassis is looking INCREDIBLE.

How is it progressing?

Great work from @dickel as always. I love everything you have created, and it’s great to see this collaboration!

2 Likes

Hey!!! I’m glad you came here! Thank you very much! I always appreciate your feedback.

mechDOG is evolving into a Lynxmotion kit, please take a look: https://community.robotshop.com/forum/t/lynxmotion-ses-v2-mechdog-quadrapod-robot

The Lynxmotion version was designed by @dialfonzo and runs the code written by me.

Any robotic projects you’re on, buddy?

1 Like

Welcome back @craighissett !

Some more videos here: Lynxmotion SES V2 mechDOG Quadrapod Robot - #6 by aargelio209

1 Like

I’m looking forward to catching up on a few years of projects on here now ha ha.
The kit is looking superb, definitely something I want to keep tabs on, as my son is now 8 and it’s the type of thing he’d go crazy for as he’s really starting to appreciate tech stuff now.
I’ve been really busy with projects, but nothing really to do with robotics to be honest; I’ve transitioned into a full time software developer role over the last few years, so doing a lot of C# development for a living. I love it!
Personal projects have all centred around music, really; creating hardware controllers and suchlike, designing some midi instruments, and the most current one is designing a tiny rig for home recording and performance.

Looking at the projects here today has really ignited a fire, and would love to combine C#, hardware controllers and stuff into a robotic project.
First instinct is to dig out my dfrobot Devastator platform and get some kind of Jonny 5 style upper body into it somehow.
Secondly I’ve seen a competition for moving projects and really want to enter some kind of desktop, animatronic head ha ha!

1 Like

Thanks matey, hopefully won’t be as long between visits from now on, ha ha ha.
Thanks for the link, I will have a look. Really keen on this kit!

Sounds cool! You know, I’m a big fan of Johnny 5! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha ha ha, where do you think I got my love for him! :joy:

1 Like