Lynxmotion Phoenix 3DOF Hexapod Robot Kit (BotBoarduino)

Just got through the assembly guild OK… but having trouble with the next steps ie… SSC-32U Servo Controller
They say to download latest firmware but I can’t seem to find where it is… Link provided just links to product on there website but does not contain firmware that I can see…

Thanks for any help…
Steven

Lynx SSC32 program installed in PC as per instructions however there does not seem to be any existing firmware indicated on the SSC-32 Board…

I wish I could start a ticket for service…

Just to clarify a few things… I mean I completed the first portion of assembly the body legs servo’s etc… The first part of the guide and now moving on to SSC-32 and calibrating servos… after that the Botboarduino which I assume is this link… https://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build99f.htm … and then the remote control… the USB and power(batteries) seemed to connect OK.but instructions call for updating the firmware… and did the VER command to see what version is running and it comes back blank… The red and green LED’s are lit on the board which I believe means it 115.2K baud…

https://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build159.htm
step three is where I am stuck…

@ttnownow You don’t need to install new firmware - the SSC-32U’s ship with the latest. You can skip that step.

1 Like

I did try the next command “All=1500” assuming the firmware was there and nothing happened… That is the 2a Botboard II procedure … I’m not even sure I’m in the correct procedures…
There is
2a
I’m confused as to what procedure I should be following now…

@ttnownow You wrote in the subject here that you have a BotBoarduino, so you’d need to follow this guide:
http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build99f.htm

You can see the wiring schematic about halfway down the page.

NOTE: you don’t need a separate 9V battery as the SSC-32U only needs power from the 6V battery (which is shared with the BotBoarduino). One consideration many users forget are the jumpers on the BotBoarduino (the logic onboard can either be powered via USB or externally from a battery pack, and it’s important to select accordingly).

1 Like

OK so i was in the wrong instructions…
so going to 2 instead of 2a…
steps 2 and 3 are so confusing… “remove jumpers” there do not seem to be any jumpers on my SSC-32 board …there is a Tx Rx and G in the middle of the board… it says to modify a servo extender cable… the only cables provided have a male end and a female end… it seems what is needed is a cable with two male ends…
so looking at the diagram I can plug into the Tx Tx and Gr on the SSC-32 and plug the other end into the 13 and 12 pins on the botboarduino… and where would the ground wire plug into the botboarduino? The diagram does not show it…

sorry this is my response not the previous one due to several typos…

OK so i was in the wrong instructions…
so going to 2 instead of 2a…
steps 2 and 3 are so confusing… “remove jumpers” there do not seem to be any jumpers on my SSC-32 board …there is a Tx Rx and G in the middle of the board… it says to modify a servo extender cable… the only cables provided have a male end and a female end… it seems what is needed is a cable with two female ends…
so looking at the diagram I can plug into the Tx Rx and Gr on the SSC-32 and plug the other end into the 13 and 12 pins on the botboarduino… and where would the ground wire plug into the botboarduino? The diagram does not show it…

So in addition to my previous question about the ground wire from ssc32 to botboard your comment above about power for the Botboard… I would want all powered by 6v battery and not usb or 9v so how is the acheived exactly? I see the ps2 also has a 5v wire so just need to understand how to make sure the power situation is set up properly… I have the 6v wired into the vs1 on the ssc32 which the initial instructions called for.

In the reply above, the “jumpers” were specific to the BotBoarduino. There were jumpers on the older SSC-32 board, but the SSC-32U did away with them in favor of a button to change the baud rate. If you purchased the Phoenix with electronics, there should be a spare cable which allows you to connect the Tx, Rx and GND between the two boards. As per the diagram, you’ll also need to connect the VL terminals together (ensuring positive to positive, and negative to negative).

1 Like

Ok Thanks… I feel as if I’m getting somewhere now… I will connect the VL terminals together on bother boards… So then Connecting the Tx and Rx from 32 board to to 12 and 13 pins of Botboard without ground is OK… correct… due to VL’s being connected…

tx

Sorry to clarify my last statement… the wiring diagram in the instructions does not show where the ground wire goes in the botboard…from Tx and Rx
It shows the Red wire going in pin 12 and the yellow wire going in pin 13.

Apologies - checked out the link above and it doesn’t show the SSC-32U, but rather the old SSC-32. We’ll update that soon.

Use the following (from page 23) for wiring between the SSC-32U, BotBoarduino and PS2:

It’s always best to understand the electronics as fully as possible, so we suggest reading the guide above, but also the BotBoarduino:
https://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build185.htm

Regarding wiring communication between the boards, just ensure that the Tx from one goes to the Rx on the other, and GND to GND.

1 Like

Hmm… interesting… yes your instructions definitely need updating… So the question still remains… The Rx and Tx and ground leave the 32 board… the Rx goes into pin 12 the Tx goes into pin 13… where does the ground go?? pls be specific…

Also, the terminals for the Ps2 connector show as female in your diagram… they are a male in real life… You do provide a purple blue and yellow male to male connector in the package… However for the rest of the connector of the ps2 you provide another male to female connector which cannot be used… I will have to source wires you don’t provide… Also the VL to VL wire required to connect the boards is not provided in the package… I’ll have to source that as well… Hopefully in the bowels of my basement…

1 Like

Further clarification… the package provided with the kit includes about 10 male and female the other end connectors… none are required…

what is needed is female to female connectors… which are NOT provided…

1 Like

The Phoenix code, uploaded to the BotBoarduino uses software serial to send commands to the SSC-32U, which is why Tx needs to be connected to Rx and vice-versa. The ground pin on the SSC-32U is marked with G:

On The Botboarduino, the outer pin of the 3-pin headers is Gnd (ground).

Also, the terminals for the Ps2 connector show as female in your diagram… they are a male in real life… You do provide a purple blue and yellow male to male connector in the package

The wires included with the PS2 kit should be female to female, allowing you to plug them from the PS2 adapter board (male) to the standard spaced male pins on the BotBoarduino. If you need extensions, you can either use a male to female, or another female to female and male to male pins.

1 Like

yes the 32 board has a ground pin next to rx tx but where does the ground go into the botboard… FYI… The people who pack your Pheonix Hexapod only pack jumpers that have male one side and female on the other side.

Can you confirm if that’s the RC servo extension cable? Notice that the end on the right of the image is actually a male to make header inserted into the female header, and the 3-pin male to make can be removed. If that’s not the case and you did actually receive a male to female, can you take a photo to provide here?

All of the pins here are ground on the BotBoarduino:

1 Like

wow… I’m just reading this now… yes they are removable… I’m sorry… and you have answered the ground question… tx

So some good news the legs have moved for the first time! At least one leg… when I power up and start the leg calibration program it still says no connection where the version should show… one of the legs moves up about 45 degrees for a few seconds and then down 45 a few seconds later… I try to hit the 1500 button but no reaction… the leg stops moving up and down when I close the Hexipod calibration program… So I’m still stuck at the point where it does not seem to connect to the calibration software properly…

Commands can be sent to the SSC-32 using the serial pins on the board. There are two ways
the BotBoarduino can be connected to the SSC-32

1. Direct serial connection
    ● TX from the BotBoarduino to RX on the SSC-32U
    ● RX from the BotBoarduino to TX on the SSC-32U
    ● GND on the BotBoarduino to GND on the SSC-32U
  2. Software Serial (allowing you to connect other devices to the BotBoarduino’s serial pins).
    ● I/O pin 13 on the BotBoarduino to SSC-32 TX (yellow)
    ● I/O pin 12 on the BotBoarduino to SSC-32 RX (red)
    ● GND on the BotBoarduino to GND on SSC-32 (black)