Lynxmotion - Hunter VTail 400 & 500

Hi All,

I think we all deserve somewhere to talk about the VTail’s and here it is. Let’s take this thread to talk and share about this special configuration of quadcopter frame.

History behind the Hunter VTail:
The VTail frame you see here was originally made after Bledi contacted DiaLFonZo, requesting a professional platform design based on his prototypes. He was already flying his hand made frames and was looking to have a platform that was up to the capability of this special configuration. After many hours of design and talk, they came with this awesome flying beast.

Here is one of the Bledi VTail prototype:

We have put the kits online on Lynxmotion and RobotShop
lynxmotion.com/c-166-vtail-400.aspx
lynxmotion.com/c-167-vtail-500.aspx

robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion- … o-kit.html
robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion- … oller.html

robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion- … o-kit.html
robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion- … oller.html

--------------------------------- Taken from our Website ---------------------------------

The VTail multi-rotor UAV is a high performance quadcopter. Unlike other ‘x’ (where the front of the UAV is facing between two legs) or ‘+’ (where the front is facing one of the legs) quadcopters and Y-shaped tricopters, the VTail concept uses two angled rear propellers, merging both concepts. Many tricopter designs use a servo to angle the rear propeller to rotate the aircraft clockwise / counter-clockwise, and have an issue with asymmetry (only two propellers can counter-rotate while the third causes a bit of rotation). A 6-rotor tricopter solves the symmetry issue, but is more expensive as it requires three additional motors and ESCs.

The frame uses G10 fiberglass composite which is incredibly rigid and lightweight and offers significant price advantages over carbon fibre. The hardware is entirely metal, using lightweight aluminium standoffs, steel screws and lock nuts.

The VTail 500 is larger than the VTail 400. The “400” refers to the diameter of the circle which passes through all four motors and is commonly used as a size reference for multi-rotor UAVs.

RELATED MANUALS:

1 Like

lynxmotion.com/c-166-vtail-400.aspx

VTail 400 Specs

Overall Length: 35cm
Overall Width: 38cm
Overall Height: 14.3cm
Weight: 326g (VT4-KT)
Speed: dependent on motors, propellers and payload
Carrying capacity: dependent on motors and propellers

lynxmotion.com/c-167-vtail-500.aspx

VTail 500 Specs

Overall Length: 43cm
Overall Width: 47.3cm
Overall Height: 15.7cm
Weight: 365g (VT5-KT)
Speed: dependent on motors, propellers and payload
Carrying capacity: dependent on motors and propellers

The Vtail is certainly one of my best toys.
Just showing off my custom Tag plates. 8)
i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/untitled-2.png
i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/untitled2-3.png
i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/2013-12-14111000.jpg

i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/2013-12-14111054.jpg

i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/Capture2-2.jpg

[size=200]“KM6VV”[/size]

Innerbreed - Your always TOO fast… :wink:

How about a “Lynxmotion” one…?

I like “KM6VV” ;>)

Alan KM6VV

I like the TAG Plates!! Need one for Wayne’s World :smiley:

Need spare parts first :frowning:

What have you broke ?
Pictures… the thread is made for that… :wink:

hello everyone.

Hi All,

We have now packaged kits in stock…!
It’s exiting… at least for me… :stuck_out_tongue:

Lynxmotion UAV Category
lynxmotion.com/c-165-uav-drones.aspx

RobotShop VTail 400
robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion- … -only.html

RobotShop VTail 500
robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion- … -only.html

Hope you had a good Christmas Day…:smiley:

Eric Nantel - DiaLFonZo

Hi Eric,

Sounds like you are having fun! How soon until you have complete kits (motors, electronics, propellers…).

Also what setup would you recommend for people like me who have 10 left thumbs and very little coordination? One of your Vtails or the crazy?

Again looking good!
Kurt

Hi Kurt,

All the components for making kits are on order at the moment.
So we should have everything soon, maybe 2-3 weeks to be sure…

Sure the VTail is a bit more tricky to fly because it YAW (Rotation Flat) more quickly.
At the same time, it is easier to see because it’s not symmetrical.

A “Normal” quad setup will react the same way on each direction, but will be harder to visualize the direction it go.

I would say, if your going to buy a full kit with motors etc, a VTail could be a good option because we will provide our setup and it should be tune for the hardware we supply.
But if you want to buy separate motors and ESC’s you will have to tune it and it is easier on a normal Quad (Crazy2Fly like) config.

I hope i am not too confusing…

btw: here are some pictures of the Hardware Only kits… :wink:

So I am ready to go when my 500 shows up (Thursday supposedly). I have some nice ESCs, actually wife got me the Castle Creation 35A quadpack. I actually have iPeaka iQ 30A ESC with SimonK - but I have been hearing the Castle Creations are so fast an smooth they are better, what I like about the quadpack (and dislike) is the one ESC has BEC, but the others don’t - I figure being Castle Creation the BEC on the one is going be be pretty good, so I will use it to power the Quadrino & Rx. I got the iPower iBM2212Q 1000kv Brushless Multicopter Motor for it.

So my question now is some advice on props & what way they should rotate for VTail. in the MultiWii docs should I follow the motor placement & rotation of the Y4 or QuadX?? What is the motor assignment D(x) & Rotation on the back left & back right.

Thanks for any help

I read on the other thread that you have issues with MultiWii ?
Can you explain a bit more your issue, i think it might just be the " mincommand " value in Config.h

/**************************** Mincommand *******************************/ /* this is the value for the ESCs when they are not armed in some cases, this value must be lowered down to 900 for some specific ESCs, otherwise they failed to initiate */ #define MINCOMMAND 1000

I include a VTail Multiwii pre-configured for the FLIP controller. (Probably the one you got from us…)
Also note the little picture showing the pinout and rotation of each prop.
MultiWii_2_3 - FLIP - VTail Rotations - Small.png
MultiWii_2_3 - FLIP - VTail - 03-12-2013.zip (152 KB)

I need the optional top plate w/standoffs and landing gear for the 400. Are the landing gear for the 500 longer or the same. I ask because I mow grass while taking off:)

Eric

Thanks for the config and motor layout info. From what I am reading I think your right about the min - I didn’t get much of a chance the past few days to mess with it - New Years stuff with family. Really excited for the hunter Vtail frame tomorrow. I will follow up with how things go. I will be using different ESCs so my issue currently with Opto 30s may be a none factor.

Also just want to say Eric your support and feedback on the forum is awesome - looking forward to building out more multirotors off the frames you come up with. I have seen some sweet frames on your site - hope to see more of them especially the Y6

Subscribed, I think? My 500 should be here today and can’t wait!

We are working on getting some manuals to help getting things done with MultiWii.
It’s a powerfull OpenSource software.

We will be here to help so asking question if a good thing… :wink:

Yes… We want to bring more frames but we had to start somewhere. Your talking about the APY6 ?
rcgroups.com/forums/showthre … st23224513