Litter-Robot III - Suddenly has no power and won't turn on

Hi!

I have a Litter-Robot 3, Open Air, and it’s worked fine for years, but suddenly it has no power and will not turn on. The outlet it is plugged into works fine for other electronics. With the unit still plugged in, I feel no warmth on the electrical panel. I am not sure if it is worth it to replace a part (not sure which) or just trash this one and buy a new one, but I don’t want to put this huge thing in a landfill somewhere if it can be fixed easily enough. Can someone please help me?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Kind regards,
Donna

Hi @dmcindc

Some route causes for this can be:

• power supply adapter (if possible check it with voltmeter)
  • if there is no lights but control panel is warm, then it could be short circuit issue in DFI hardware
  • and at the end, complete circuit board can be defective

You can try these simple tests (which some of these already did) and then buy spare parts from our shop. It is pretty much easy to replace those parts. There are video instructions online.

Hello,

Thank you for responding. I just received a voltmeter that I ordered, and the outlet and plug both receive power. Also when I plug into the unit, and touch the voltage meter to the base of the unit, the alert goes off. The control panel is not warm when plugged in, and moving or wiggling the plug near the jack isn’t doing anything either. So I don’t think the plug or the jack are the problem. How would I know if the motor or circuit board need to be replaced?

Kind regards,
Donna

1 Like

Hello @dmcindc,

Based on your description, we would recommend you to replace circuit board.

If you are still in warranty, please advise.

I had a similar problem and paid 100 euro for the piwer adapter and circuit board and it still doesnt turn on. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Hey @JULIET!

Is maybe control panel hot when you touch it if you leave your robot plugged in?

I had a similar problem. I replaced the control board which didn’t fix it. It turns out it was the barrel connector on the back. I swapped it out for one I had laying around and it worked again.
I spent hours getting frustrated with the thing only to figure out it was the cheapest part that broke.

1 Like

Hello @Jeremygreen,

Welcome to Robotshop support.

Thank you for sharing this experience with us.

usually when this issue occur you should start with the power adapter then the rest of the parts that carry the current to the circuit board.

Sometimes it’s the adapter itself. or the cord was snapped, or the barrel like in your case.

Let us know if you needed any further assistance.

Sincerely,

1 Like

So I was doing the monthly cleaning, and now the power won’t turn on. Checked the circuit, adapter, position of all parts. Ensured all seems to be in good working order. Just died. Was working in the 2 minutes before I cleaned. Can someone let me know how the barrel control arm can impact the power? Can that part break and cause issues? Or is it always electrical? The Adapter was replaced about 6 months ago, brand new. And never had an issue before today. I am wondering if I damaged the control arm or broke it when cleaning. Any suggestions welcome. I have tried the restart and reboot and reassembly process multiple times. Thanks.

Hello @JessB,

Welcome to RobotShop community.

We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your Litter-Robot.

When you plug the robot in for a min, please check the area between the “Reset” and “Empty” buttons and let us know if it heats up fast or not.

The barrel part could be damaged as well indeed, did you clean the base with water?

Awaiting your reply.

Sincerely,

1 Like

Hi there. No, it does not heat up fast. No short. No I did not clean the base with water. I wiped it with a damp cloth but no water to cause a short. At least I don’t think so! The barrel arm is spinning freely. I think it is toast. If I recall it should click at various positions?

Hello @JessB,

Thank you for your reply.

Please provide us with a short video indicating the issue with the barrel arm.

Sincerely,

I went back downstairs and was filming. Then reassembled and success!!!

1 Like

Thanks for your help. I am not sure what the issue was, but it is working now. Perhaps some condensation or other mechanical impairment. Cheers! Really appreciate the speedy response.

1 Like

Hello @JessB,

That’s great to hear!

Keep an eye on it and let us know if you had any further issues.

Have a lovely evening, stay safe.

Sincerely,

1 Like

Hello. I bought a used LR3 from a neighbor and it will not power on at all. I’m fairly familiar with the units (I have a LR2 that I have replaced the motor for that is still working). It looks like the guy washed the base with water (the insides were wet and some areas corroded). I replaced the wire harness and still no luck. The control panel does not get warm. I’m in the process of trying to return it to him, but curious what you would recommend for the next step if I cannot get him to take it back. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @hd!

Usually, if the LR3 won’t power up, the issue can be power supply adapter, circuit board or DFI sensor.

If you still have LR2, you can test power supply adapter.

If that is working, we recommend replacing circuit board and DFI sensor, and then your LR3 will probably work. Since you mentioned corrosion, it is possible that you have to replace different pins on your robot (anti-pinch pins, base pins, bonnet pins - but, it they are corroded or worn out).

1 Like

Hello,
Recently rescued a cat and he came with a litter robot 1. It was working when he first got her but it has been 5 days and it has stopped working. There is not power or heat on the machine. I have tried two different cords and it is not touching any walls or corners. What should I do? Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @sophiedawson and welcome to our forum.

Is this the version of the robot you have https://www.robotshop.com/en/litter-robot-3-automatic-self-cleaning-litter-box---beige.html ?

If yes, and you are sure that power supply adapter is working fine, we recommend replacing circuit board and DFI sensor.

Please confirm, and we can send you further instructions.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi, I have a litter robot 3 in beige that is still under warranty. Today i noticed it was not on, checked the outlet and it works fine for other appliances but the litter robot shows no lights or activity. I’ve tried it in other outlets and with another adapter to no avail. Please advise, it should be covered under warranty. Thanks.