Litter-Robot III Open Air Basic Troubleshooting Guide | RobotShop Community

Since the release of the Litter-Robot III Open Air, we have received many demands for a troubleshooting guide for this robot. We have therefore decided to help our customers out by creating this basic Litter-Robot III Open Air Basic Troubleshooting Guide.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/blog/show/litter-robot-iii-open-air-basic-troubleshooting-guide
2 Likes

Itā€™s not filtering. Itā€™s sifting the litter through to the bottom drawer and keeping the poop in the top. What do we do?

@Sara It may be that the cat have urinated while there was no or very little Litter in the globe. That may cause the excrement to stick on the globeā€™s rubber.
You may also want to watch this video about the internal shield position.

My Litter-Robot III has stopped cycling on its own. I have reset it, turned it off and back on but nothing.

@Marcy Cobden Is the control panel hot upon touching it when itā€™s plugged in? You may also have an issue with the power supply. Is it plugged in a power bar?

The open air rotates the wrong way. It is rotating clockwise at all times. I press rest, cycle and it always goes clockwise for a quarter turn and goes back. Please help. I just took it out of the box and it doesnā€™t work.

1 Like

The blue lights that usually flash to say the bag is full keep flashing after every circle even when I just replace the bag it is not full if I reset it stop but will star again after it circle once only started that this weekend

1 Like

@George, Can you tell us what is error lights that you are getting?

@Sharon
The following troubleshooting should resolve the blue light blinking while the waste drawer is empty. Once resolved, the unit should consistently recognize when your cat visits and cycle accordingly.
To troubleshoot the blue blinking, letā€™s start by power cycling your unit: 1.) Leave your unit powered ON with the blue blinking light engaged & Unplug your power supply from the base 2.) Wait 10 seconds then plug the unit back in
3.) Allow the unit to complete a startā€up cycle. If the light is solid blue, the code has been successfully cleared. If the light is still blinking, letā€™s proceed with troubleshooting. Letā€™s empty the drawer if it has waste and reinstall the bag before proceeding.
Note: If you are using a dark colored bag, always tuck it into the tabs.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxgTYtknW_c&index=2&list=PLVGSgrf6kgDNPYaulQB7wDvu9AJcm BQ5k

Letā€™s check your DFI Lenses for any obstructions:

1. Turn off the unit and Unplug the power from the base
  2. Remove the Bonnet and the Globe 3. Inspect the top of the Base where the Globe usually rests. Are there any debris? Small amounts of litter is normal. Clean as needed. 4. Inside the waste opening there are two clear ā€œLensesā€ (left and right side). Ensure there are no debris on the Lenses. Sometimes litter can fall/splash onto them. ** To clean the lenses, we recommend wiping them off with a soft damp cloth and/or glass cleaner. Do not directly spray the Base or DFI Lenses. ** 5. Replace the Globe and Bonnet. Reset the black key in the back of the unit into the pocket. 6. Plug the unit back in. If you turned the power off, you will need to power it on and press ā€œcycleā€. Once the cleaning cycle is complete, the unit should be at the Home position with a Solid Blue LED on.

Further Troubleshooting:

1. If the unit continues blinking blue, remove the waste drawer and press cycle. 2. Press reset 2x to abort the cycle and return the unit to home (it will level the litter). 3. If the unit goes to solid blue with the waste drawer removed, ensure there is nothing in the drawer blocking the lenses. 4. If the drawer is clear, your base needs to be repaired ā€ let us know that you tried the full troubleshooting without results.

I have problem with my Unit cannot find home position all three lights are flashing sequentially. The position looks normal to me and if I press reset button it will reset to normal. After my cat will use it or if I run manual cycle it will fail with same problem. Any recommendations how to troubleshoot this problem?

@Yuri
If the Open Air unit cannot find Dump and/or Home position, the control panel will display 3 lights blinking. If you have recently disassembled your globe please advise.

Please remove the globe and check the black gear connected to the motor. When you press on the black gear with your finger, does it seem loose or freeā€spinning? If so, please follow the instructions for tightening the set screw, here: http://litterrobot.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/85/41/litter-robot--free-moving-gear-solution

When replacing the globe onto the base, make certain that the track around the outside of the globe is properly aligned into the groove on the base.

If the unit is plugged into a power strip, try plugging it directly into a wall. Sometimes the issue is caused by a fluctuating power supply, low voltage, or other power issues. If the globe is filled past the fill line remove litter so the fill line is exposed.

Can we ask the specifications on the adapter for the power supply you are using Correct Spec: 15VDC regulated adapter 400mA to 1,000mA.
[Note: If you are using a power supply with different specifications, the Litterā€Robot may appear to work properly; however, inadequate power can cause the unit to malfunction over time.]

1. While powered on, unplug the unit from the back of the base.
  2. There is a pin in the jack where the small connector from the power supply is inserted. This pin should be split. Find something small and open it slightly if it is not. 3. Plug in the power supply and let your unit cycle. What happens? A blue solid light means the issue should be resolved.
    If the unit does not return Home, or does not return Home with a solid blue light, please provide details of any lights on or blinking on the control panel.
    *Are the lights blinking all at once or sequentially?
    **If sequentially, please provide the colors in sequence.

If the Litterā€Robot does return Home with a solid blue light, there are no issues with the functionality of the unit at this time.

Hi, my robot is displaying the blue and yellow lights. (Not flashing) Iā€™ve pushed the reset button to try and disable the yellow light but stays on. Iā€™ve now just carried out the procedure above but still doesnā€™t seemm to disable the yellow light.

@Ben If you have bought your robot with RobotShop, please contact us HERE.

My Litter-Robot III has stopped cycling. The red light flashes. I cleaned it and left it empty and turned it off and on again. But nothing it keeps on flashing. And the control panel isnā€™t hot upon touching

@Jeanine Stoop

Please check your unit for the following:

• The litter is above the fill line or in excess of 10lbs.
  • CATS has not been reset after adding weight
  • The waste drawer has too much weight
  • The unit is sitting on an uneven surface ā€ grout lines on tile floor or in a bathtub.
  • The unit is pushed into a corner, against a wall, or furniture
  • Objects are resting or pressing on the unit

The red blinking light indicates CATS (the cat sensor) is detecting excess weight for more than 2 minutes. To test your changes, power the unit off and then on. Allow the unit to complete the startā€up cycle and return Home with a solid blue light. Your unit is operating normal. If it continues to flash, let us know so we can troubleshoot further.

Always press Reset after emptying the waste drawer, adding litter, or moving the unit. You can also turn the unit OFF then ON to ensure the baseline is set properly. When pressing Reset, watch for the blue light to quickly flash one time. This indicates CATS has been successfully reset.

If none of the above solves the issue:

1. Remove the bonnet.
  2. Remove the globe
  3. Replace the bonnet
  4. Press Cycle (without the globe on the unit)
  5. Allow the motor to run for 5 seconds, at any point, does it stop and flash red? If no, then excess weight needs to be removed from the globe. If yes, (it blinks red), your unit will need to be repaired.

Nothing worked. I removed the globe and replaced the bonnet. And as soon as i put the power on the moter starts for 1 second and then it just quits and the red light starts flashing. So it doesnā€™t even do the startup cycle.

1 Like

@Jeanine Stoop
Hi,

Please check your unit for the following:

• The litter is above the fill line or in excess of 10lbs.
  • CATS has not been reset after adding weight
  • The waste drawer has too much weight
  • The unit is sitting on an uneven surface ā€ grout lines on tile floor or in a bathtub.
  • The unit is pushed into a corner, against a wall, or furniture
  • Objects are resting or pressing on the unit

The red blinking light indicates CATS (the cat sensor) is detecting excess weight for more than 2 minutes. To test your changes, power the unit off and then on. Allow the unit to complete the startā€up cycle and return Home with a solid blue light. Your unit is operating normal. If it continues to flash, let us know so we can troubleshoot further.

Always press Reset after emptying the waste drawer, adding litter, or moving the unit. You can also turn the unit OFF then ON to ensure the baseline is set properly. When pressing Reset, watch for the blue light to quickly flash one time. This indicates CATS has been successfully reset.

If none of the above solves the issue:

1. Remove the bonnet.
  2. Remove the globe
  3. Replace the bonnet
  4. Press Cycle (without the globe on the unit)
  5. Allow the motor to run for 5 seconds, at any point, does it stop and flash red? If no, then excess weight needs to be removed from the globe. If yes, (it blinks red), your unit will need to be repaired.
1 Like

just recā€™d litter robot and cannot find power supply or ac/dc adapter Where should I look

@Verna Marchuk, Since you have contacted us trough our support center also, we will then continue with you there.

It does not clean after the cats use it. Weā€™ve dine all the troubleshooting steps and that all works. Then the cats use it and nothing is ā€˜sensedā€™ and it will only clean if we hit reset. But no on its own.