Litter Robot III - Dump Position Fault

Hi!

I require your help regarding a problem I’m encountering.

Description: My litter robot 3 recently started flashing the blue-yellow-green “cannot find dump position” error code and won’t cycle after the cats use it. If I press “reset” and then “cycle” it will cycle as normally (or almost as normally, see below) but when it returns to the home position the same error lights start flashing again. One thing I have noticed is that, when it is cycling and it reaches the end of its first turn, there’s a short squealing noise and the dome over-rotates slightly before rotating back.

Note: This problem is EXACTLY the same as this other post I found, which is why I’ve essentially just copied the description from there: Litter Robot Cannot Find Dump Position

Hardware concerned: Litter Robot III Connect

Software concerned: N/A

Troubleshooting steps already taken:

1. unplugging it and plugging it in again
  2. cleaning the unit
  3. slightly opening the pin in the power jack
  4. making sure that it is plugged directly into the wall using its original power adaptor
  5. making sure that the unit is on level ground and not touching anything else
  6. checking the motor gear to ensure that it is tight and not free-spinning
  7. making sure that the globe is properly aligned in the groove on the base.
  8. Verified that the globe magnets are in the correct positions and do attract metal.

Additional information:

I’ve had this unit for only about 6 months, and so is still under warranty. I’ve also had a number of other issues with this unit since the first month I had it, but I don’t know that they are related:

1. The unit frequently shows as offline on the App, even though it continues working properly (at least before it was). Generally if I power it off and on (sometimes a few times), it will reconnect, but it never stays connected for more than a week, and usually less than a day.
  2. The unit frequently thinks it is full when it is not (sometimes even when completely empty just after removing the waste and putting in a new bag. I often have to reset it so that it will keep working, because it won’t clean after it thinks it is full.
  3. I notice when it cycles, that the globe tends to shutter in place while it is rotating. I can’t recall if it has always done this or only recently, as I only really noticed it after trying to fix the current issue.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Hello @MrBubbles,

Welcome to RobotShop community.

We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your Litter-Robot.

From your description, it does seem that the hall-effect sensors need to be replaced.

We will need your order number to carry on with the replacement process as we will move you to our internal support system.

Also, about the other issues:

1- This issue is probably related to the server not the unit itself.

2- Have you tried to re-calibrate the DFI sensor?
If not, please try the following whenever you get this error:

• Remove drawer

• Place hand just left of center and all the way up until it is hitting the globe

• Press and hold reset button until it flashes 3x, then release.

This video will help you troubleshoot and recalibrate the DFI sensor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-196x_6U08o&t=3s

3- We are not sure if we understand this last issue properly so please explain it more or maybe send us a video whenever it happens.

Let us know how it goes with these issues and we are waiting for your order number to move forward with the hall-effect sensor replacement.

Sincerely,

My order number is 911768.

Hello @MrBubbles,

Thank you for your reply.

You are under warranty.

How did it go with the issues that you were having?

Sincerely,

I followed your advice to recalibrate the DFI sensor, though I can’t tell yet if it has helped because the unit still has the permanent Dump Fault error.

Has the new Hall effect sensor been ordered? Were you able to tell my shipping address from the previous order number?

Hello @MrBubbles,

Thank you for your reply.

We didn’t proceed with the hall-effect sensor replacement process since you might have needed more parts.

We will forward you to our internal system to carry on with the process.

Sincerely,

This topic was transferred to internal RobotShop Support.