How to make your first robot

For heat transfer keep your solder tip wet with smear of solder

If you have trouble melting the solder onto the tip before you start then your iron is not hot enough. At the start I always test the tip with solder before proceeding. If it melts onto the tip and is hard to melt on the joint then the joint is not getting the heat it requires.

Make sure your tip is wet. Melt some solder onto it and this helps transfer the heat. Of course don’t have that much solder on your tip that you drop blobs on your board. Best is if you have a wire ball to wipe the excess off the tip. Second best is a wet sponge although some say this is not good for the tip.

While I’ve seen tutorials on soldering suggest placing the solder on the joint and put the tip on top of that I much prefer to attack it in the opposite direction. Put the wetted tip to the joint and then feed solder on top. If there is enough heat in the joint the solder runs to where it is needed.

Along with what Frits said. Have you got a chisel tip on your soldering iron? A chisel tip looks a bit like a chisel edge or screwdriver flat tip blade. And is why he suggested to make sure the broad flat surface makes contact with as much of the joint as possible. Pointy tips are not very useful. At first you might think the finer tip is helpful in pinpointing the heat and not burning anything else but chisel tips are available in small enough sizes and give better control of the solder flow.

Thanks

Okay, so I got one wheel to finally turn! But the other wheel doesn’t budge. When I use my hands to turn the wheels, one motor is smooth and turns pretty good and that’s the one that works, but the other motor takes a little more strength to turn around which is maybe why it doesn’t turn. Am I right? 

Here are the connections to

IMAG0425.jpg

Here are the connections to the motors. I feel that the connects are pretty good, is something wrong? 

I accidentally melted a little bit of the black jumper cable. Does this affect the connection from the board to the motor? Because after it melted, the motor stopped working :(. 

Could be shorted

It looks like the melted part of the black wire may be making contact with the solder terminal of the red wire of the other motor. If this is the case, it will short out and cause problems. 

Replace the wire or at least wrap some electrical tape around the melted insulation to avoid a short circuit.

im finding it impossible to

im finding it impossible to upload any pictures…  :(

I followed ur instructions completely. Except i couldnt find an antenna wire, so i used some extra wire to short the battery box. Some of the plastic melted onto the terminal. Could that be the problem ?? 

So i tried writing a random

So i tried writing a random program for the PICAXE chip.

The SAME thing happens (i.e. the servo turns just a bit then centres itself again)

So i tried reconnecting the servo wire to the board. It was correct the first time though. 

But i discovered something. Every time i connected the servo cable to the 3 pins. The SAME thing happened. it turns a bit then centres itself . This happened even when there was no program stored in the chips memory…

???

Thanx again for all the help. 

Check this link for how to

Check this link for how to upload pictures.

When the servo is first

When the servo is first connected to power, it often twitches, even if there is no signal to direct it. That may be all you are seeing.

• IMG_0645_copy.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

That looks OK to me. Can

That looks OK to me. 

Can you post a picture of the board showing all the chips? I want to be sure you have all the chips inserted in the right spots, and turned in the correct orientation.

hey, i have got a similar

hey, i have got a similar problem

I am too new to robotics and i have just completed my Start Here Robot
 I mean almost completed…

Whenever i program my servo excactly the way the program is given above, the servo doesn’t moves…!

It just keeps on rotating to one side onits own whenever I connect to the battery…

I wrote:
servo 3,150
wait 2
nothing happened

Servo 3,75
wait 2
nothing happened

Servo 3,225
wait 2
(I’ve connected it o Analog point 3)

Nothing happened again!

Please help! 

hey, i have got a sharp gp2y

hey, i have got a sharp gp2y sensor for my start here bot

it is similar to one shown here with similar coding

but, when i wrote,

main:
readadc 0,b1
debug
goto main

it returns strang values on the ‘decimal’ column.

the values oscillate betwnn 230-270

no matter how close or far an object is…!

please help!

(No subject)

IMG_0663.jpg

(No subject)

It’s hard to see but it

It’s hard to see but it looks like you have the resistor chip in the bottom socket and the motor driver in the top socket. If so, they need to be switched.

That is pretty much what I

That is pretty much what I suspected. It also looks like the notch in the chip in the motor driver section if facing the wrong way.

Please double check that you have the right chips in the right slots and they are turned the right way.

im a starter at picaxe im

im a starter at picaxe im not very good… i need help. everytime i try uploading a code it says hardware not found… alittle confused

Try this new tip written by

Try this new tip written by aaronsuper1 How to Upload Your First PICAXE Code.

hey, i have got a sharp gp2y

hey, i have got a sharp gp2y sensor for my start here bot

it is similar to one shown here with similar coding

but, when i wrote,

main:
readadc 0,b1
debug
goto main

it returns strang values on the ‘decimal’ column.

the values oscillate between 230-270

no matter how close or far an object is…!

please help!

Can you post a picture

Can you post a picture showing the connections of the Sharp sensor to the board? Include a picture showing all of your analog pins (did you use the shorting blocks like the instructions said?). Be sure the pictures are clear, well lit and in focus.