How to make your first robot

My friend you have nothing

My friend you have nothing plugged up.  To run the program, you need to have your leads for servos, motors, etc plugged in or at least one to run test on it through basic.

ok I notice you have been

ok I notice you have been doing this for a while now having issues. Start from square one and check solder joints, connections, use flux for clean connections, and look in cable connectors to make sure they are not damaged.

I just unplugged everything

I just unplugged everything for the photo, to show the joints and everything.

If you see the first two photos, everything is connected.

I think I see your

I think I see your problem!

You have the motor driver chip and resistor pack in the wrong places!

They are both black 8-pin DIP chips, so this is understandable.

Carefully lever each chip out and swap one for the other. Be sure the notch on the chip matches the notch on the socket.

Oh my Robolord you have

Oh my Robolord you have SOLVED IT, he’s finally reacting!

ignoblegnome thank you SO much for all your help. I guess it was a stupid mistake in the end, but I’m just really happy that it was a mistake and not a hardware problem and that you picked out the problem :smiley:

Also thanks to JAX, dmillsap06 and fritsl for all the help, you guys all rock!

Time to have some fun!

Great, awesome!

This will come in handy! Thank you for sharing this  =)

doubt
comments are shown in which colour in the editor? is it important to write comments in editor?
we should type the other part of the sentence that is which is after qoutes
example:
gosub whichway ’ if obstacle ahead then decide which way is better
we should type as it is or we should remove"if obstacle ahead then decide which way is better" this part??
please reply me

"Comments" are things that

"Comments" are things that are ignored by the machines, just for you own notes. Or the notes from someone who wrote the program, to you.

It’s unfortunately often a problem to copy-paste from something like the web, to a programming editor: Often a ’ is translated to a ´ or something like that. So you will have to manually either delete / not copy the comments, find a better way of pasting, or making sure comments have the right sign iin front of them.

There is no rules to colors, as it can be set up in the editors, and many editors have different colors, also depending on your computer etc.

Oh - and you could also try

Oh - and you could also try to search for “comments” in the manual for the editor :wink:

Wheels Not Working

I have already built the robot and started programming it. The head of the robot turns around but the wheels don’t even budge. I don’t get what’s going on, everything is connected in the right place. 

I’d appreciate it if anyone can help.

Thank you.

Thanks!

The parts for mine arrived today (from solarbotics), and within a few hours it was up and running perfectly. Its exploring the house as I write this! Thanks fritsl for such a clear and useful tutorial!

Fantastic!!Thanks for

Fantastic!!

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Obviously something is wrong

Obviously something is wrong :slight_smile: We just have to find out what it is, so… make sure everything is right, take up the motor driver chip, make sure it’s placed the right way, make sure you have a jumper where you should… take pictures, close up of every detail, and send them here, I am sure we can help :slight_smile:

Help, Male Header Pins Missing

I bought the start kit from solarbotics and I noticed something strange. They slder pins all over the bord except for the place where I should connect the motors( A, B). They didn’t sent me any oder pins. What should I do? I thought to take out some pins from the bord that I don’t use and solder them there. I need to know if I can do this and if there is the risk to brake the board. Please Help. :frowning:

Hey! please help…

I am a beginer to pickaxe.

I saw the 28 pin project board above…

It has got 8 output points.,so if I make this robo, will I be able to attach LEDs to these output points and control them while programming?

I will be thankful for a reply

Hey! please help…

It has got 8 output points.,so if I make this robo, will I be able to attach LEDs to these output points and control them while programming?

Hey! please help…

You can certainly try to

You can certainly try to remove some of the unneeded pins for the motor connections but that’s difficult to do without messing them up somehow. Chances of damaging the board are minimal though. As long as you don’t tear the solder pad off the board you’ll be ok.

I would recommend getting a strip of new male header pins. If Solarbotics is unwilling to send you some I could be convinced to give you a bunch for the cost of int’l postage ($1.25) :slight_smile:

Yes. With the SHR kit it

Yes. With the SHR kit it will have leftover header pins that you can use for other connections like LEDs, sensors, or whatever. Or you could just solder your additional components to the board if you don’t mind a little more permanence to your circuit.

TY

It’s a little bit difficult to buy that pins from you. I live in italy and I must pay a tax for everyting that I receive from outside. I payed 50€ for the kit( + the price on solarbotics). So If I buy that pins from you I must pay another 50 € tax. :frowning: Howover I was able to remove some pins from an old asus motherboard. Could that do the trick?