How long should a Roomba battery last? | RobotShop Community

My roomba has been working fine but in the last month when it returns to the home base it doesn’t seem to be recharging it and then I’m not home and I get a ‘job cancelled’ message on my phone because battery is completely dead. My orange light only flashes once or twice and never again so I’m never sure if my roomba is charging or not!

@Michelle Untch Can you please indicate us what is the model of your Roomba?

I have a roomba 880 for 9 months. It recently started leaving dock on designated times and immediately returning to dock. Could it need a new battery? Light is flashing orange.

@Pam,
Please click this LINK and follow the suggestions by the manufacturer. If nothing works, then you will probably need a new Roomba 800 battery.

I have a Roomba 860 which needed a new battery, because it seems I wasn’t running the Roomba often enough. Before installing the new battery I foolishly stripped off all the yellow plastic covering, assuming it was just packaging material. When I removed the old battery I realized my mistake. Thought I would try it anyway and it seemed to connect OK. Green light went on briefly on the home base and the charging icon was showing red. A few hours later I heard the Roomba speaking messages but I was stuck on a hold line in another room and ignored them. Now the ‘clean’ light doesn’t go green and no charging icon is visible. No light on the home base when I disconnect the power and reconnect again. I have now ordered another battery, but is there any way I can salvage the old one? And have I suffed up the home base too?

Hi Clare,
We will strongly suggest you to try contacting the manufacturer, iRobot, directly for this issue. They are in better position to help further with this kind of problem.

I have a iroomba series 560 I believe, and I have bought and used batteries not bought directly from Irobot. It says they won’t work and I have found the first one did for a while but the second one does not. I think my problem is that I only use the iroomba for about 4 months and then leave it for about 8 months without it being used. I wouldn’t mind getting a new vac but don’t want to have it stop after one year because of none use. What can I do?

Hi Eelannor, The best way to increase the battery life is :
1- Buy a certified Roomba Battery
2- If you are not planning not to use the robot for a long period of time, remove the battery from the robot.
Note that your robot is probably good for use again. You will only need to replace the battery for a new certified Roomba battery.

I have a Roomba 650. It has sat off the charger for about 6 months. I put it back on the charger and it makes a sound every 10 seconds and the clean button blinks twice. Trying to figure out what is going on with it. I have not seen any symptoms like mine .

Hi,
It may be possible that since it sat off the charger for 6 months that the battery is completely drained and you may need to replace it.
Else, we suggest you follow this ‘error massages chart’: https://homesupport.irobot.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/641
If nothing help, contact us via the support center so we may proceed with further troubleshooting.

Hi, Glad I found you and am hoping you can help: exactly one year after I purchased my iRobot Roomba 800 series it began to operate at a slower speed and make a muffled sound while it was running, It only picked up half the debris on my floors and the filter was always spotlessly clean (before, it was dirty after each use). I do regular maintenance on my iRobot and cleaned it immaculately according to instructions. I contacted Technical Support at iRobot and they sent me a new cleaning head module which I installed as per instructions. Unfortunately, the new cleaning head had no effect whatsoever in resolving the issue and basically, iRobot said they could no longer help. I wonder if it is a battery issue? Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Paula,

Unfortunately, we believe the battery might have to be replaced.

I recently bought a 980 and love the performance.
for the first 2 months, the 980 would run for approximately 1.5 hours non-stop in performance mode and clean ~ 600 sq ft.
We ran 1 cleaning cycle about 5 times a week.
Starting 3 days ago, we noticed Roomba return for charging after 1 hour of cleaning. it was a sudden change, not a gradual decline from 1.5 hr to 1.45 to 1.4 etc…just straight from 1.5 hr one day to 1 hr the next.

Am I doing something wrong? why the sudden decline in battery capacity?

Thanks for your reply, Josué. I’m just wondering if the slow speed, poor pickup and muffled sound is a problem with my battery, then why does it continue to run non-stop for a good 2+ hours each vacuum…and appears to re-charge well (orange light when it’s first re-charging, then green light after several hours) ? The reason I ask is because replacing the battery is expensive - but I would certainly do that if I was relatively sure that was the issue. Thanks again for your assistance.

@Paula,
Note that Roomba batteries can last up to 2 years or depend on how you use it.
Now, if there is some malfunction while it is doing its cycle, it might need to be repaired.
We cannot pinpoint the exact issue with the robot, unfortunately.
We will have to test it.

Hi David,
Please Check this LINK

I’ve got a Roomba 650 that just quit working. I’ve cleaned it out, purchased a new battery and base and it still won’t charge. I’ve only had it 2 1/2 years. What else could be the problem?

Hi,
There is probably an issue with the motherboard.
It can also be the charging pins under the robot that are defective.

Is there a suggested time period for cleaning a room by size or sq feet to make sure it has covered and cleaned the entire area?

Hi John,
It will depend on the number of obstacles on the floor of the room.