How Do I Interpret DC Motor Specifications?

What will be the tolerance level of 12V,900RPM DC motor. How can I calculate this?

@Jins What ydo you mean by “tolerance level”?

Hello Coleman ,
I want to select a DC motor which is suitable for a conveyor belt.
I tried a DC motor that is used in robotics but in vain. It gets very hot.
So please suggest me a Motor that can be used for the purpose of running a conveyor belt which is around 5m in length.
The motor should work on 24V supply

Thank You.

@Junaid Sayed It sounds like your application is industrial and as such you might want to look at more industrial type motors which are meant to work for extended periods of time. Most of the DC motors we carry have a duty cycle of 25% and running them for extended periods will cause them to heat up - which is what you have experienced.

Thanks for the reply Coleman!!! :slight_smile:
Actually I need the motor for my Project which is based on Automation.
So i just want to run it for about a minute or so.
I dont want to use it for long duration.
The reason I want to use a DC motor instead of Industrial one is the cost.
Please suggest me some DC motors which works on 24V and have high torque so that atleast I can start researching about them.

Thank you.

We offer a small selection of 24V DC gear motors here: https://www.robotshop.com/en/gear-motors.html
You will need to figure out just how much force is needed to overcome the friction in your system to get an idea of the torque required.

Do solar panel can provide sufficient power for dc brushless motor to run??

@Dens Dennis Solar panels are used to power entire cities, so there’s guaranteed to be a size and power of solar panel to power just about anything, including brushless motors.

Hi, I am designing a boat driven by DC motor. How to determine the power and rpm for a boat with a pay load of 100 Kg (including battery pack) to get a maximum speed of 8-10 knots. can you please help me?
thanks

@MRahman Good question; we have not done the research for water-based propulsion, so perhaps someone from the community may offer some ideas.

Hello Sir,
I am making an Electric bicycle and I have a 22V, 300W, 2900rpm dc motor.
Please tell me how much rating of battery is required to push a load of about 120kg and also to produce high starting torque?

@Aijaz Ali We suggest a 22.2V LiPo battery with high capacity and high discharge rating. At 300W, the motor should consume around 13.5A. The capacity depends on how long you want the bike to operate (the higher the capacity, the heavier the battery). Take a look online to get an idea of the capacity of batteries used in existing electric bikes.

If I pick two drive motors for a robot that weighs 50lb and attach the motors straight onto the wheels how can I tell if the weight of the robot applied to the motor shaft won’t damage the gearing inside? Do the motors come with a spec that identifies how much weight they can support? Thank You.

@Kalina Only some gear motors provide the radial load which the shaft can support, but a rule of thumb - don’t overload it because it’s likely to be only supported by one ball bearing inside the gearbox.

I AM DOING FIVE LEVEL ELEVATOR SYTEM… IN ORDER TO LOFT MY ELEVATOR WHICH MOTOR SHOULD I USE?? DO I NEED MOTOR DIVER?? IF SO THEN WHY ?? AND ONE MORE THING, I AM USING PLC .AND HOW TO CHOSE THE MOTOR AGAINST THE WEIGHT OF THE LIFT I AM USING??

@SUNIL kUMAR MANDAL If you mean a real elevator which carries people, that is beyond the scope of this article.

how can i choose correct propeller motor combination for required thrust generation…pls help me with this…btw, gr8 article …really helped

@dheeraj Sometimes the motor manufacturer provides this information (ex https://www.robotshop.com/media/files/images2/tmotor-uav-brushless-motor-ms2216-900kv-4.jpg), though most of the time it needs to be calculated. We do not have the tutorial, but look up “calculate thrust from propeller” in Google to get some results.

Hi sir…
How we come to calculate the torque and speed of 1hp 1750rpm PMDC motor which is running any vehicle of say 200kg, 300kg…?

@Amjad,
We have a nice online dynamic tool if you want to calculate the torque needed for an application HERE.
One motor that came to our mind with such application would be the 12V 5310 RPM “CIM” Brushed DC Motor. There are some Gearboxes available too.