How Do I Interpret DC Motor Specifications?

@ramil You should be able to know based on the manufacturer’s specifications for that motor. If you cannot find any details, base yourself off the power rating. If you still do not have a power rating, large motors = higher current.

Hey guys,

I am willing to overvoltage the current motor (DCPM motor Class F, 12V, 29A, 250W, 3300rpm) … to (18V) … so as I can get more power …

My question is: How to calculate the new power?

I think If I can calculate the new power and measure the new RPM, I can get the new torque … That’s why I am asking about the new power …

Thanks in advance !

@LasheenGamer Motors have specific characteristic curves (example RPM vs. voltage and torque vs. current, and most important, efficiency). It’s best to consult with the manufacturer.

Hi Coleman, I work for an oil company in Tanzania. Recently we replaced a 3 phase motor pumping heavy fuel oil to the laoding gantry with a CMG 3 phase motor type: CGM 3 160L with a bonfiglioli reduction gear with ratio 9.8 but the flow rate at the loading gantry was significantly reduced. The initial motor’s ratio was 2,3 and was working fone. would you kindly suggest any solutions or causes of the reduce flow rate? Thank you.

@Khalid Ali Unfortunately those are motors which we are entirely unfamiliar with. You need to figure out the torque and RPM from the previous motor and compare it to that of the new motor. It sounds like the pump itself remained unchanged.

im using 4kg 1.5ft long and 30mm wide blade as a horizontal spinner weapon and motor for this weapon is pmdc motor soo… now for beating 55kg of robot what should be my motor torque and blade rpm and motor rpm and watt ratting of motor pls give figure

and one one another question if weight of my robot is 55kg and i using two driving wheel and my motor is pmdc motor so pls give me apporoxi specification required for motor torque, motor rpm and main is watt rating of my motor. give me sum no.pls

@Ankit Satasiya This is beyond the score of the Drive Motor Sizing Tool since the motor is not being used to propel a robot but rather as a weapon. The equations needed are quire different.

@Ankit Satasiya You need only input the values you know into the Drive Motor Sizing Tool to get an idea of the torque and RPM you will need:

Is it Rated Torque is motor’s maximum Torque ?

@Gaurav The “rated torque” is normally the maximum continuous torque which a motor can provide. The maximum torque might be reference to the torque it can support but for short periods and is closer to the torque as max power. This is still below the locked shaft / stall torque.

I am a farmer I am trying to make high pressure tree sprayer by a 12v dc water pump. for my own use. I am interested in some home made projects. it is my hobby. which specification motor is suitable for my sprayer. I read all your helpfull explainations.thanks.

@dhandapani We suggest that you save yourself some time and troubleshooting and purchase a water pump, and simply assemble the tubing and system around it. Unfortunately RobotShop does not sell pumps for that type of application.

Hi Coleman,
I want to find out the bending strength of pinion and gear for choosing the material. Could you please tell me which torque value i have to take into consideration stall torque or nominal torque of the motor.

@Datta; if you’re looking at material properties, the torque would be “worst case”, so above the stall value.

Hiii coleman,
i need a DC motor for the load of 25kg. what would be the rating?? and how should i calculate it??

@Sharan If it’s for a wheeled robot, use this tool: https://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/drive-motor-sizing-tool-9698

I need to design a Brushless DC motor for 250W , how do I design the stator resistance, inductance ,torque etc. For an rpm of 1000

@kishen Interesting project, but well beyond the scope of this article.

@Dipen chhetry You are esssentially looking to create a fighter jet. Unfortunately we cannot provide any support for this.