How Do I Interpret DC Motor Specifications?

Hi,
When I read a value from a motor datasheet e.g. “Nominal current (max. continuous current)” = 2A does that mean I have a range of 2A ([0A,2A]) or is the range [-2A,2A] ?
Another question: I have a brushless EC motor, with a driver that sais input voltage = ±10 VDC (differential). Am I correct that the EC motor uses DC as an input so I can use the whole 20VDC range?
Many Thanks

@Raffael The current would be up to 2A under normal load. It is rare you will ever see a negative current in robotics. “EC” normally means “brushless” and in mobile robot applications, this is always DC voltage. The input would be 10V (not 20V); ± normally means you can connect the wires either way.

Thank you Coleman for your answer.
So the thing is, I would somehow need to tell the motor in which direction to turn. I wanted to do this with negative current for one and positive current for the other direction. I have the motor in current mode. It works like that with the custom software for the motor driver. However, I want to control the motor through Matlab Simulink Realtime and thus need the conversion from the input voltage (maximum 10V ) to the current for the motor (max 2A).
So can I input in the range [-5V,5V] which get converted to [-2A,2A] or would it then be [-1A,1A]? Or did I completely misunderstand your answer?
Thank you.

@Raffael Can you submit a new topic via the RobotShop Forum and provide links to the products you are using?

please please I am finding it difficult to determine the specification of a DC motor that has been used for a solar water pump project , please can you help out? “” heinzmann D-79677 schonau Gmbh and co.KG tel 490767382080 fax490767382008199 typl 120-2NFB-65 u 30 VDC HZM-Nh712-00-397-00 p 25,9 w m215 Ncm S-nr 0810 276655 I 1.0 A Ausf. 22-50 n990 1/min""

@paa It seeems the motor has all of the specifications printed on the label: 30VDC, 25.9W, 1.0A current and can provide 215N-cm or torque. Not sure about the RPM though.

thank you very much I really appreciate your help , please I will like to know if there can be a voltage operating range for this motor , that is , I know the max voltage is 30v and I want to know is there any minimum voltage at which it can not work ?

@ppa If the specs don’t indicate the voltage range, you’d really need to contact the manufacturer.

OK thanks

Great article. I have looked at several motors with optical encoders built in. They often describe the encoder resolution as “pulses per minute”. I assume they mean the measure of angle not time. However that means a motor with “2 pulses per minute” would have 260360=43200 pulses! That sounds way too high.

@tozz88 If the units are pulses per minute, they likely mean just that (not angle). Most are pulses per rotation (PPR).

Can I operate air blower fan with 12 volt,17000 rpm robotic motor

1 Like

@ashutosh Do you mean retrofitting an existing blower with a new motor?

im using dc brushless motor(model no.ffb1212ehe) with an arduino uno for speed control.the motor is running well above 100 speed,but its not running when i give the speed level below 100.can anyone send me the coding??
Thanks…

@raji Without knowing which motor controller you are using, we cannot really help in this regard. We suggest creating a new topic on the RobotShop forum and provide as much information about the products you are using as possible.

Hi Coleman, I am trying to operate a small DC motor but I don’t have much power to work with. I can regulate a voltage to operate near the motor’s nominal voltage, however the motor may not pull as much current as it might want to. Would this make the propeller on the motor terribly inefficient?

@Marko The motor may want to draw as much as it can, to the point that your electronics may be fried. It’s always best to choose electronics / motor controller which can provide MORE than what the motor will need.

Hi Coleman am from computer science department and trying to develop dc motor simulator application. It is brushed dc motor with three poles. I want to know how to calculate the current drawn when some weight is added on to the motor and what are the other parameters that are affected.
Thank you.

@Ganesh You’ll need some basic stats about the motor itself, otherwise it’s all guesswork. Most motor manufacturers test their motors physically to be able to get the torque (vs current) and speed (vs voltage) curves, though to a small extent they can estimate what it will be before they produce the motor.

Can you please tell me how will i know if the motor is a high current? sorry for my question.