Hand Of Bob - Alternative Robonova Robot Grippers - New Video

Finished today, after weeks and weeks of planning and construction, a new pair of hands for my Robonova, inspired by the Mellissa hands. The time taken is a best guestimate, and the cost includes 2 S3003 servos. Most of the stuff was lying around in my shed, apart from the sea fishing crimps and 14BA nuts and bolts (used for the knuckles).

I have no Cad, CNC or machine tools. They were made at home, in my shed, using a minimum of hand tools, and my favourite - the Dremel.

I will be fitting them to the robot over the next few days, and then try and programme it so the hands can pick up stuff etc. Will post a new video when done.

Also, a short video showing the new head I made for him. The original looked too small and didn't move, so it had to go. I'm not that sure about the new look though, so it will probably get changed again in the near future.

Update 26/10/2010

Well, got may hands onto the Robonova, and managed to programme a couple of moves. Not brilliant, but I'm pleased with the way they work.

They do have some restrictions, like they can't pick up directly from the floor, so I have made a pair of grippers. I'll be fitting them shortly.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/hand-of-bob-alternative-robonova-robot-grippers-new-video

Very nice work with the

Very nice work with the hands, awesome actually. Its noticeable you really put effort into it. I would very much like to see the design in more detail, if that is ok with you.

Mostly made up as I went along.

Thanks for the kind comment. Most of it was trial and error as I went along. The only drawings I did were these.

fingers.jpg

palm.jpg

They are basically made from thin brass, with slightly thicker for the servo lever. Joints use 14BA nuts and bolts, through 2mm o/a sea-fishing trace crimps, cut to 2 different lengths as sleeves. I don't really know what else to tell you. If you've got any questions I'll try and help.

I like how extending the

I like how extending the fingers occurs by pushing the wires.  it seems to work just as well as pulling the wires to close the fingers.   Nice job sir!    I didnt realize Robonova was that big.

are you going to use any rubber material in the palm, or the inside of the finger tips to aid gripping?  (not that it needs any help, from what I see).

once again, great job!

Many thanks for your kind

Many thanks for your kind comments, PaulJD.

Well spotted, they are a little large for the Robonova, but don’t look too bad. I was governed by the size of servo, to be honest, but tried to make it as close to 1:5.5 as possible. Incidentally, the wires are just ordinary cable ties.

I did buy some foam rubber for the palms and fingers, but could only get 2mm thick. Could have been thinner, as it’s too thick, really, for the fingers. I do plan on fitting a pressure sensor to each palm eventually - see how it goes.

Great job! I love them! Is

Great job! I love them! Is there any way to make them light weight? Hmm, perhaps using PVC cable channel… I’ll look into it.

I guess I’ll have to upgrade my MiniEric with a pair of these… 

Thanks for that, Ro-Bot-X.I

Thanks for that, Ro-Bot-X.

I think aluminium would be lighter, but as my Robonova is the gold coloured one, I thought brass would look better.

I love MiniEric, BTW.

Thanks!

Thanks!

can you help me

can u just explain how did you made it move or where are red n white wires goin n frm where its goin

how

how to make the wheel turn the wheel that is making the fingers bend using battery n motor???:stuck_out_tongue:

AWESOME

cool did u build it up all ur own well its awesome and could it shake hands u can make it talk also:)

hey ya

its awesome just telll me is it moving on its own if it is how? please please please n please ansr before 25th oct its the day of my science model contest

Just for testing purposes in

Just for testing purposes in the video, the servos are connected to a RC receiver, so they are being worked by radio control.

In the video, they are

In the video, they are moving using remote control. Eventually when I’ve fitted them, they will be programmed.

It will do when I’ve

Yes, all built from scratch using brass sheet. It will do when I’ve programmed the robonova :slight_smile:

Wow this is the most coolest

Wow this is the most coolest thing ever man for the Robonova.  You really should start making a bunch and selling them like that Matt guy did with his gripper.  Awesome work man, I can’t wait till I can get me a Robonova one of these days.

Many thanks for those comments, demonic-crow.

Doing them by hand takes such a long time, I think I’ll pass on the mass production! Maybe with CNC cutting, and proper bender it may be worth while.

I’ve fitted them to my Robonova now, and although they are a little on the large size, they work OK. I’m just playing around with the programming, and will post a new video in the next few days.

That

That is absolutely stunning work Kelpy!

I love the craftsmanship and the effort you put in to this. There is a lesson to be learnt for all of us LMR users. Don’t just hot glue everything together, -put some effort and love in to your work. You don’t need a massive CNC machine to make something great. Just time and devotion.

Awesome 3rd video with the

Awesome 3rd video with the hands fitted on Robonova! I think they look great.

So you’ve replaced the head and the hands. Any other body part replacements coming for Robonova?

Thank you

Thank you, Geir.

To be honest, they are not that great close up, but they did give me enormous satisfaction when they worked as expected.

Your comments (and the hands themselves), have made all the time taken, to be totally worth while.