Full hand made UAV

I don't really like to talk a lot about what i make, but i can answer all your questions that you might ask in your comments :)

here are the photos, self explanatory :)

Fly, autonomous

• Actuators / output devices: Servos brushless motors
  • Control method: semi-controlled/auto
  • CPU: Undecided
  • Operating system: land based operator will be linux based
  • Power source: 11.1V 4000mAh LiPO
  • Programming language: undecided
  • Sensors / input devices: GPS, gyro, ACC
  • Target environment: Outdoors

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/full-hand-made-uav

Please

Please post a video of the first flight.

**Very impressing **

Very impressing 

Quite Impressive!

Quite Impressive!

Tell us about the autopilot

Tell us about the autopilot system. What will you be using and what will it do?

???

I have been building airplanes for 15 years now, realliy like yout proyect… but:

why do you make the wings that way, they are not strong for a fly, they need reinforcements, where are thre servo pictures? i cant see the controll horns… 

does it ballance? where does the batteries go? the tail controll surfaces seems to be little…

How are you going to controll it?

you need more support in the body of the airplane in the part that holds the wing…

how did you make the wing profile… i can help to design a better one… look for the NACA 4415 profile for a start

i have so many tings to ask…

A7la lebnan

A7la lebnan

Personally I wouldn’t be to

Personally I wouldn’t be to optimistic of getting this plane in the air. But for all i know you might have years of experience with  RC planes? If not i would have started with a proven concept RC plane and  worked from there.

I think you have a lot of repair and gluing in front of you :slight_smile:

It’s a profiled wing, you

It’s a profiled wing, you can’t fly that in reverse :slight_smile:

A flying carpet

This thing looks good. Cant wait to see more…

Seeing the first picture on the frontpage, I thought you were going to make a flying carpet… Not a bad idead though.

Wing construction

As mentioned by avent you need to rebuild the wings, these will just break when you will pull up/down to fast. Having a completly flat bottom wing is neither recomendable. It will work and produce lot’s of lift but it won’t make the plane better/easier to fly.

17601.jpg

Where you connect the wing you want some plywoood NOT balsa. It's being used because its very light not for structural strenght.

For a UAV I would also use

For a UAV I would also use dehydral on the wings so it will self correct during flight (rolls) and I would put the control surfaces in the wing, not in the tail. This thing will take a week to turn arround and it will always either dive or pull up when trying to make a turn. It won’t work I’m affraid.

I will be very, very

I will be very, very surprised if you make this thing fly. And if you do so, I will personally come down with a cold beer if you make it land in one piece :slight_smile:

But hey, it’s all about having fun and learning! Go for it!

I don’t really care about

I don’t really care about dihedral nor about having a high wing :slight_smile: since the autopilot on board will do all the corrections ;)  as for the control surfaces, they have not yet been cut on the wings :slight_smile: im waiting for the servos and horns to arrive so i can set them up and cut them properly :slight_smile:

sure it isn’t an ideal

sure it isn’t an ideal design, but a good autopilot should be able to make it fly, remember the F117 would fall out of the air without computer control.

and if it blows up mid air, make sure to post a video. :smiley:

The plane has a weight of

The plane has a weight of 800 grams with the motors but without any on-board electronics each motor can pull 750grams, odds are, its going to fly :slight_smile: besides, its being designed with the help of the local RC club :slight_smile: they are confident that it will fly :slight_smile:

we will chit-chat on

we will chit-chat on Facebook :slight_smile:

Custom designed board based

Custom designed board based on arduino. the basic MCU-gyro-accelerometer-GPS-pressure sensor-compass etc etc

ground link will be established so i can have direct communication with the MCU and of course capability of flying it with normal RC gear.

Im just waiting for the plane to become airborne with normal RC gear for me to switch and work on the avionics :slight_smile:

i still have a loooong way

i still have a loooong way before it flies :slight_smile: its a chicken now :stuck_out_tongue: about to become a hawk ! :stuck_out_tongue:

my order is being delayed from hobbyking, im waiting for the servos, hinges and horns  !

Good luck

I don’t want to be a downer, but it seems also ways to heavy with 850g. I would also change the color that you find at least the wreckage after a crash landing :slight_smile: Here is an interesting paper in how to design gliders, boost gliders, but this also applies for your attempt. Maybe useful.