Frame Design

What planet do you live on? March break in April!!! :laughing:

Unfortunately “March Break” is in March
thats what we call it up here. Hmmmm
Our countries have much the same but so different
 :laughing:

Um, aren’t you guys from the same province? :confused:

No, I live in Ontario, Chunga lives in Massachusetts

Oh I thought the discussion was between you and spacejunk. Sry.

I had no idea spacejunk lived in Ontario?? :open_mouth:

lol :smiley:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: * Takes a closer look* :smiley:

hey everyone, finally got the USB cableit was in my key cabinet :angry:

well, i have a ton of pictures
40 ish, so ill let u scroll through them, ill post the main ones up though, the big steps of the design process

comments and suggestions welcomed :slight_smile:

img1.putfile.com/thumb/4/11020220463.jpg
Smaller U channel all cut up and ready for assembbling

img1.putfile.com/thumb/4/11020220651.jpg
Larger U Channel

img1.putfile.com/thumb/4/11020220929.jpg
The pieces being held together via pressure with the hole for the bolt drilled and countersunk

img1.putfile.com/thumb/4/11020221718.jpg
The bolt itself in place and nice and secure

img1.putfile.com/thumb/4/11020221296.jpg
hooray! first level finished

img1.putfile.com/thumb/4/11020221316.jpg
Gargle, Rinse, and Repeat.

img1.putfile.com/thumb/4/11020221834.jpg
Im sorry, guys, i lied to you, im actually making a table :laughing:

img1.putfile.com/thumb/4/11020222151.jpg
Finished!
img1.putfile.com/thumb/4/11020222254.jpg
2nd View

Let me know wat u think :smiley:, i make have to redrill some holes :frowning: and btw i amd replacing the countersinking screws on the corners with some Pan heads, cant countersink as they are tech screws and not bolts and they dont get enough grip is i countersink them

Again, comments, suggestions :smiley:

You may need to add corner gussets or diagional bracing to maintain the frame rigid if it is to support much weight or stress.

Nice job,
but its missing some thing
Hmmmmm

I agree, I would add some cross trusses to make triangular shapes to support the corner pieces of U channel. Its like building a bridge, needs to support some weight if someone steps on it while your running it through the house.

Chunga is doing a great job on this project.

I think that table, er cage, wait, I mean robot frame, needs something too. Let’s wait and see what it actually turns into and we can figure it out. :smiley:

8-Dale

your pretty much right, i forgot it wasn’t finished yet :laughing:

We can expect great things from Chunga (stands up tall in front of Chunga). “Stop picking on my friend”, shouts Italian_guy299 as His Rover Shoots soft pellats at the bad guys :smiling_imp: :laughing:

lol, italian guy

ok, ty everyone for comments and about the stabilazation bars, yes i have been thinking about those things very much, however 1. i am able to sit on the frame with close to no flex. 2. wen i put the siding on it, it will make it nice and strong and more rigid specially since i might go with some aluminum diamond plating :smiley:

again, might need to redrill some holes sadly, kinda peeved off about that, other than that is is going good, i worked for my grandfather and aquiared a nice check for 50 buckeroos :smiley:, so tomorrow or sometime during the week i will head to lowes or homedeopt and pick up some side material, or maybe, ill use it to buy the tracks and idlers hmmm :laughing:

i will be mounting the motors themselves directly to the frame
or half mount them (2 mounting holes are used in frame, 2 in siding), i have yet to finish designs on the track units (idlers and whole side assembly), but once that is done ill be ready to roll and then i can think of attachments :slight_smile:

i think thats about it, anymore questions or comments just post :slight_smile:

EDIT: PS, i think the greast toruble with supporting weight will be in the track units, i think i will be making them 3-4 inches smaller thean the top of the frame and use triangle gussets to support them

PPS: i plan to make this water tight and have it go basically anymore, even in 4-5 inches of water maybe deeper if i can get it to float xD (and if im feeling really crazy ill slap a boat into it :smiling_imp: and somehow get to to plane :laughing:) , into anything that does not do above the top of the rover and into the fan holes :unamused:

If you’re going to be putting panels on all the sides, and run it only with said panels in place, you shouldn’t need to worry about diagonal bracing. In effect, your panels will be serving as braces with, so far as your structure is concerned, infinite width. If you plan to run it without panels in place though, you probably will be needing diagonals to provide support.

I would tend to lean towards the first choice - designing the body panels to be an integral part of the bot, and don’t try running it without them in place. That way, you get the structural benefit without the added weight of having separate mechanical bracing and bodywork, and you end up with a finished product that looks like it was designed as a whole, rather than a rover with an extra bit of “window dressing” stuck on top to make it look pretty.

lol, did u guys really think i wouldn;t be putting panels on the side of it :laughing:

yes, i had the side paneling in there as an idea for structure from the beginining :smiley:

Its the new OPEN BOX DESIGN. Breacks easily and you can touch the electronics from the outside. MMM MMM thats some nice burning sensation from the motor controller. Blue Smoke, looks like my clothes are on fire
now image that as the commercial
woudlnt work, chunga is right, silly silly silly :laughing:

i don’t know,
you do wonder why where so ‘smart’ don’t you :laughing: