First Robot build Octopod

Decided if i am going to make one i just need to go all out. This is what i am using my new SSC-32 for:

8 legs with 4 DOF per leg.

Right now i only have 10 HS-485HB’s with 24 HS-645MG on the way. I will be using every port on the SSC-32 and controlling it with an Arduino Demilanove. After all the building is complete i will be replacing the Demilanove with a RBBB.

here are a couple of build photos.
edit let me resize them first

Right now i am using a wired p2 controller to control it, This is due to WAY to much interference for where i am right now.

future plans include IK movement, Anonymous movement with a PING sensor and a couple IR’s, I also have a gyro from sparkfun for it.

The plan now is from predetermined movement frames via the remote, then to IK the add a bit of fuzzy logic and go from there.

I guess more to follow

and the resized pics

http://www.zhanx.net/incoming/octopod/mockupsmall.jpg

http://www.zhanx.net/incoming/octopod/faceplantsmall.jpg

great looks good. very interesting, cant wait to see more.

If you run out of memory on the Arduino, even with an Atmega328 micro, you can consider trying out a Sanguino, which gives 64k program memory, 2 more analog inputs, an additional hardware UART, and more digital and PWM I/O. I do most of my Arduino related stuff on my Sanguino now, which lives on my solderless breadboard. Of course, there is also the Arduino Mega now. :slight_smile:

8-Dale

I ran out of memory once already on the 328, RAM really. now i am pushing my arrays for the predefined motions to the flash. I might add an EEPROM if needed also. I thought about a Sanguino but I’ll make that choice when i max out the Arduino or go with a pc, i got a SBC at the house, left over from an a project i can use.

The biggest problem i have is waiting on everything to be shipped and not being able to get even the basic parts here. But it gives me lots of time to work on my code.

scratch the 4DOF and make it a 3DOF. till after i can get a better handle on IK. I am ordering a new set of legs and will keep the old legs around till i get the IK figured out better. What works on paper is being a PITA to make happen in code and i want to play with my bot for a bit and while i am doing the 4 DOF code.

:frowning: i suck but I will still have a robot that one day might be able to get me a beer or something useful.

Also the SSC-32 loves my Arduino. The SSC-32 rocks for ease of use.

I did run out of program memory on a Basic Atom (not Pro), but that micro only has 16k max program memory, and you really get only 13k to 14k due to having some space taken by a boot loader. I have not maxed out on 32k program memory yet though. Folks here are doing very cool stuff with just 13k - 32k of program space on the Basic Micro controllers, so it should be very workable for you to do IK for a hexapod or octapod with that same amount of program memory.

I recently upgraded my Arduino Decimilia to an Atmega328 micro, so have 32k max program memory with that. The Arduino with an SSC-32 should be able to handle most of what you want to do considering it has pretty much the same I/O available as a Basic Micro controller. Arduinos are not quite as fast, but they should work well. You can also get the RoboDuino now, which is an Arduino that has the nice 3 pin headers for connecting servos and sensors.

The really bad thing about choosing the Arduino is you lose out on all the great experience and code that is available from Lynxmotion and all the great folks here. There is so much available here for the Basic Micro controllers, and if you are just starting out, it might be a worthwhile choice to try one of those controllers first. I started out with a Basic Atom (not Pro) and don’t regret that choice. I learned a lot about using microcontrollers and there was always great help here when I had problems. You really should at least consider the Basic Atom Pro (32k program space, extra hardware serial port, etc). It’s a great way to get experience with microcontrollers! :smiley: I still have my Basic Atom and a Basic Atom Pro hee. and have been seriously considering taking them out for another spin. I’ve written quite a bit of code for them, but not near as much as others here have. I’ve even been thinking about building up another BRAT and tinkering with that.

8-Dale

i would have gone with a basic atom to start with but for example lynxmotion FLAT OUT refused to send to APO’s (and yes i got the email to prove it). But a lot of places sell the Arduino so it was easy to get without the hassle of shipping to my stateside address then having it sent here. It weird how that works out really but at the same time. I can just rewrite the bas code to work on the arduino it aint hard, i already ported over Xan code only took me a couple of hours.

You have the email to prove it? Are you insinuating we’re some how hiding the fact that we can’t ship to an APO? :confused: We use UPS exclusively. There are several reasons for this, but suffice it to say that UPS, not Lynxmotion, FLAT OUT refuses to deliver to an APO… Besides you can always order from Robot Shop, they will ship to an APO. This is kinda ridiculous. :unamused: Sorry you have taken this so personally…

We have purchased a new website package that we’re working on setting up currently. That may change our shipping options in the future.

I wonder why he didn’t just do that?

Sounds exciting!

if it was personal i would have done something about but this project has been hampered by the amount of companies in the US that fake the funk.

I didn’t get it from Robot shop due the Internet connection being routed different and google result didn’t show it in the first 10 pages.

But anyways Board work, and i got it.

Fake the funk? What? UPS doesn’t ship to APO or PO Boxes either… something about liability of relying on some other carrier to finish the job of delivery perhaps? Or if a package gets damaged or lost then whos insurance gets to pay the bill?

Perhaps Google too, faked the funk when you chose to use them instead of just going to the Lynxmotion Distributor Listing and selecting a country nearby your destination. You can find the link on the Lynxmotion front webpage with a great big button on it labeled “Distributors”. :wink:

I wonder why he just didn’t do that?? :unamused: :laughing:

wow how exciting :unamused:

Moving on unless your so bored you got nothing better to do.

Got the LCD in and running for Diagnostic output and displaying modes and what the robot is doing. Ebay’d a couple of RGB led’s for a status light, right now i just have 3 leds hanging around till they get.

Decided to flash them a few times then shut them off after a mode change.

If i push and hold select for 3 secs on the controller it goes to a “diagnostic” if you will mode that allows me to control each servo, and send the current location to the lcd along with the servo #.

just hitting will toggle between r/c mode and AI mode…

The ping sensor is set at 6" right now in my detection routine and just basicly turns it left or right on a random draw with a hopefully working corner detection to keep it from getting trapped in a corner.

waiting the battery for my camera to charge but really nothing worth taking a photo of.

managed to get a little bit done today

http://www.zhanx.net/incoming/octopod/starting.jpg

its slowly getting there

Looks good. You do good work.

thanks this is just the mock up body. So i can make all the mistakes on this one before i do it for real.

I may change it again i dont like how the electronics mount. also were is everyone getting the nice wire loom from? I’ve been looking for it but have yet to find it.

Wire looms you say?

http://images.cableorganizer.com/techflex/nylon-expandable_lg.gif

Here you go, they have a great selection!

cableorganizer.com/nylon/

If you want the plastic type, just select it from the menu at left, 3rd dwon from the top.

awesome got some on order so i can get a clean look to my project

Since i got at least another week before my servos get here i started writing a diagnostic routine to make sure everything is up and running before putting the robot in to action and i maxed out the Arduino’s 328, so i am looking at the Illuminato X Machina as a possible replacement.

Also working on adding a couple 74H595 or Maxi7221’s to run a few leds in the legs for a bit of a light show for fun to go with my RGB’s to display “mood” based on whats in front of it. just a thought…

i still need to finish the AI its still getting stuck in a corner so i just timed the motions and did a dirty fix, if it turns any combination of left and right 3 times in a row it will just turn around and go the other way…

off to eek a little more out of the arduino…