Droid Rock Crawler

So this robot isn’t autonomous but it’s still pretty cool. I had some spare time to grab one of the platforms from my university and thought it would be pretty neat to have it be controlled via Android or a PC. I wrote a serial communications protocol and this was the perfect test. The bot is controlled locally by a DFRobot Romeo Arduino board. Communication is made over Bluetooth to an Android phone. The phone basically sets up a touch listener and maps the touch event’s X/Y coordinates to values within the servos range. There is a servo for each axle, allowing for a crab like steer. I used the factory motor driver since it acts similar to a servo, feeding it with different PWM values will cause it to move at the specified rate.  If anyone wants the code just add a comment and I’ll throw it up! I also have a version that communicates over XBee from a PC to the bot, the controller program is written in processing.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/droid-rock-crawler

Any chance of some video of

Any chance of some video of this bad boy in action?

this is just what i am

this is just what i am trying to do now but over wifi and a camera.having some trouble with code this will help me alot, great job

No problem! I’ll have one up

No problem! I’ll have one up probably by the end of the day.

Thank you! and good luck on

Thank you! and good luck on yours.

WHAT SCALE —

— AND WHAT BRAND IS THE ROCK CRAWLER?

I favor GMADE rock crawlers but they come in at 1:8 scale.  Perhaps someone can write a strongly worded email to the company and coax them into making a crawler at 1:5 scale.

I believe its Exceed, 1:16

I believe its Exceed, 1:16 scale, they make a few bigger models too I think.

**how about a video? **

how about a video?

Unfortunately another

Unfortunately another student is using this platform right now so I haven’t had the chance to get a video, I can however email the code and/or my eclipse project plus the arduino code if anyone is interested or has an identical setup.

i am building one now

i am building one  now

UPDATE

Sorry its taken me so long to update this project, I’ve recently been putting together a web site for all my projects(ALOT!). Its not complete yet but I have a few of my updated projects and source code available at the moment. I’ll be working on it and will be updating my LMR pages soon as well. Heres the link <http://www2.cs.uidaho.edu/~lamb3619/>.