DOMO5

DOMO5 aims to be a domestic robot of company and help and support. Among its functions: home automation, knowledge base, conversation, autonomic movement, artificial vision, voice recognition and voice synthesis. Among other.

Control the domotics of the house. Speech recognition. Synthesis of voice. Explains jokes, stories, riddles. Search information on the internet. Reports news, weather. Facial and object recognition, video surveillance, etc.

• Control method: Voice Command
  • CPU: PC
  • Operating system: Windows 7
  • Programming language: C#
  • Target environment: indoor

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/domo5

Project Status?

Aside from the idea posted, have you started the project? Brainstormed? Any parts purchased? Sounds like quite a project. Added a placeholder image until you upload your own.

Request

Sorry if my English is not very good. I answer your question, yes I started the project months ago. I have many software modules implemented and purchased material: Servomotors, arduino, sensors, etc. Now I am integrating all the features in a single software and researching which engines to install.

Photos / Videos

No worry about your english. You can edit this post and add photos / videos, parts used… 

**I have problems when posting. **

I have problems when posting. On anything that I publish I get the error “The content that you posted will be reviewed within 1 business day. It has been flagged for review either because it is your first post or because it was considered as SPAM.”

You can post

Try again now.

Spam?

When I try to upload a primary image it says: “Images are not saved until the form is submitted.”
Then I press “Submit” and it says “The content that you will have reviewed within 1 business day.” It has been flagged for review either because it is your first post or because it was considered as SPAM. "

Impossible

When I try to upload a primary image it says: “Images are not saved until the form is submitted.” Then I press “Submit” and it says “The content that you will have reviewed within 1 business day.” It has been flagged for review either because it is your first post or because it was considered as SPAM. "

Account approved

It seems your account was still probationary because so little had been posted. I have approved it and you should be ok to post. Apologies for any inconveneince. 

Very Similiar

You might want to look at this as it is identical to yours without wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0h20jRA5M0

** References of other robots.**

Yes thanks. It was one of my first design ideas. I also based my design ideas on the following robots: zenbo, dumy, qbo, buddy, wall, jibo, musio, kuri … among others. You can see here some links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbl-jz9rVOM&list=PLbeyfiI6EPE4tYt8iukdnPYgC05pEplAz

I see you plan to use

I see you plan to use Windows XP. Why? XP will not run on a singleboard computer and is outdated as far as the libraries go. You can get Windows 10 for free basically. You can also buy singleboard computers that have Windows 10 on them for right around $150. You can buy Windows 8.1 singleboard computers that are used in Tablet type devices for even less. What is the reason for XP? I ask because myself as a software developer that does .NET and use VS 2015 have ventured down the avenue of Windows xp in the past and it was not worth while. The amount of power needed to run a PC using XP is far greater than a singleboard computer which would increase your lifecycle of the bot. I had even tried a Roboboard which had XP on it and it was not worth while. If there is anything I can do to help you weed through this I will be glad. If you use a 32bit version of Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 you can use all the various TTS voices that you want. Let me know if I can help you.

Windows 7

Hello, thanks for your help. I really see that this is a very active group. I really use Windows 7 as an operating system: why ?, simply because it is what I had installed on PC, without more. It is still a prototype and I am using what I have: an old PC that serves as a central unit. I have installed Visual Studio 2013 which is the one with which I develop the project. It is true that I have had problems with the TTS voices since I can only use some of them and I would like to customize some of the existing ones with robot effect.

Yes the TTS voices can be an

Yes the TTS voices can be an issue with windows 7 64 bit. You are limited to one a couple. I can understand testing the software on XP and from there you can then use all the various voices and get a feel for what you what to do. If you get a chance jump on the chat piece and I will be glad to talk to you there.

Domo5

Great looking bot.  I could immediately see the Jibo and Buddy influences.

I wish you well on your project.  I spent the better part of 3 years going down the path you are going down, and so I can deeply relate to the journey you are embarking on.

I hope we get to swap ideas and stories.  What other boards (microcontrollers, servos, motor controllers) besides the PC do you plan on using?  What kind of sensors?  What are your obstacle avoidance plans?  Navigation?  I won’t be bothered if you don’t answer any of these, I am just always curious.

Regards,

Martin

answer

Hello Martin, It is clear that yes, but my main influences are the robots qbo and Dumy. I plan to use arduino one or mega. Probably a couple of them at least. Sensors: infrared, ultrasound, laser, temperature, inclination, etc. To avoid obstacles, basically ultrasonic sensor. Navigation: autonomous and optionally guided through the PC. It really is still a project and I am experimenting with the sensors. I have not started the mobility tests yet.

re: Alfonso

I am working on an OS of sorts for bots like this among others.

There is a significant part of it that will reside in the cloud on AWS.  If it’s anything you think you might be interested in using when I deploy (hopefully this winter), let me know.

Regardless, if i can help in some way, let me know.  I see a lot of similarity in what we are doing.  I look forward to fllowing your progress.

Regards,

Martin

Thank’s

Hello Martin,

Thank you for your comments. It can be interesting Get informed of your progress. I am currently waiting to receive a pack of sensors:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/37-IN-1-sensor-kit-for-Arduino-starter-kit-high-quality-Works-with-Arduino-Boards-landzo/32691556711.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7LLyew

and a small base and engines:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/Smart-Car-Chassis-2wd-Robot-Tracing-Strong-Magnetic-Motor-Car-RT-4-Avoidance-Car-with-Code/32809659306.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.0UjCYo

The idea is to be able to perform mobility tests and sensors to be able to implement it later in the larger model.

In addition I am investigating on which motors, wheels and axes would be the most suitable for a robot of these characteristics: 15 kg. and 35-40 cm. diameter. I’m also looking at what would be the right height so as not to damage stability. I would like it to be at least 80 cm. high. Any help, idea or suggestion in this regard will be well received.

Weight, Height, and the dreaded Face Plant

On your 15Kg weight estimate…I think you should be able to do everything you are showing us and have it weigh a lot less than that.  Less weight saves you on sizing of motors, batteries, etc…saving more weight.  I think you could do this in less than half of 15Kg, if you wish to.

In reference to being 80cm high…

One look at your bot’s layout, and the primary risk is a face plant.  When your bot is moving forward and needs to stop (from a user request or to avoid hitting a kid) …it will need to slow down carefully (not stop all at once) so as not to face plant.  Unfortunately, slowing down takes time and space…meaning you might hit something.  Driving slower certainly helps, but any sudden stops are going to want to tip a bot like yours over unless you can keep most of the weight very low indeed.  Ava rocks noticably if she must emergency stop while at full or higher speed…the fixed forward wheels of the tracks well forward of the COG prevent the tip over as the rear can leave the ground.  The axles for your wheels are so much closer to center, the risk of a face plant is multiplied, especially because I think the head on your bot will have some weight to it.

Increase weight in the base = increase stability.

It’s true, it could surely be done with less weight. Precisely my idea is to increase the weight in its base to increase stability. The weight would be provided by the batteries, the PC, metal base, etc.