CNC Machine

Eric,

There is a white paper over on my SherlineCNC list that explains osme of the basics.

Basically, you need to add (draw) an offset in order to generate a contour to cut. This is the “CAM” part of CAD/CAM. I use Vector CAD/CAM, which does both.

There are “converter” programs, like ACE, which can do that for you. Draw your part, create your offset (1/2 dia of mill cutter), and then convert the offset (toolpath) to Gcode using converter program.

Pose questions on the CNC lists, get more answers! I’m sure we can get you going!

Alan KM6VV

Hi All,

I have ordered some bits for my CNC…

Acme 1/2-10 lead screws for the 3 axis
Anti-backlash screws
1/2 ground rods for Y and Z axis (was cheap rod …)

Will order 20mm linear bearing and ground rods for X axis (Table)

Hope i will be up and running… :wink:

The compact design is good, but for $200, and only very light material, I’m not sure how useful it would be.

I need to make “fingers” for mine (the “clamping” tool steel strip), so that I can “get into” boxes. I usually just grab scrap, but I don’t have much tool steel of the appropriate shape.

Alan KM6VV

I will take your advice and get the style you use when the time comes.

What have you been working on Mike?

I just got a used Scorbot robotic arm. I’m thinking I may be able to run it with CNC, after I get a new driver box made for it.

Alan KM6VV

I have been busy learning how to cut metal cnc style using my Sherline mill. Its been a long process so far. First I bought the mill, then the cnc upgrade, then the software. I bought visual mill which took a good chunk of money and now I’m working on saving up for mach3 cause the demo doesn’t get me very far. I have no regrets on getting visual mill, it works well for me. I have cut several parts for practice, one was an aluminum bracket to replace the lexan bracket Jim cut for me a few years back, it was for my bot head. I also cut out a control panel as well as several test brackets. It’s been real fun!

Yeah, it sounds like you’ve been making progress!

I’ve mostly been cutting aluminum sheet metal for 'bots. I hit upon the idea of cutting vinyl to attach to a 'bot wheel for encoder stripes, but I don’t have a good vinyl knife rigged up yet.

Alan KM6VV

Here are a few photos of some of the bracket types I have created including a couple of control panels as test pieces. I managed to screw both of them up. The first panel went nuts on me at the very end, I dont know why. I tried to fix it by cutting a rectangle by hand but I only made matters worse. The second panel was much better because I broke up the Gcode into segments because the demo has a 400ish line limit. The error this time was clamp faliure. I had the clamp to loose for the depth of cut I was making. anyway, here are some cell phone photos:

Click on images for larger view:
i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/botwire/th_2011-07-28212307.jpg
i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/botwire/th_2011-07-28212213.jpg
i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/botwire/th_2011-07-28212248.jpg

Still, not bad! Top looks like a stepper mount.

Clamps will get 'ya!

Alan KM6VV

Hi,

I have parts on order and some that i already have to update my CNC…!

2x 20mm rods for the X axis
cgi.ebay.com/Linear-Motion-Shaft-36-Hardened-Rod-20-mm-/120750371470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1d48728e

4x 20mm bearings for X axis
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120467969380&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

3x Anti-backlash ACME Nut
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110717515216&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

ACME screw
mcmaster.com/#99030A005

1/2 ground rods for Y and Z axis (i have the no ground rods … not even surface…)
mcmaster.com/#6061K63

I have already on hands the Screws, Nuts, 1/2 Rods. Ordered the 20mm and they should arrive fedex this week.
The plan is to give all that to the guy who make the cnc the first time this week.

Sounds like a pretty good upgrade!

Take Pix and let us know how it turns out!

Alan KM6VV

Yes sure… :slight_smile:

I am able now to export my 2D drawing in DXF format. Then with DraftSight i can edit lines to make polylines …
Now with that done, what do you suggest to export it in GCode ?
I mean… something simple and free…

Is there something on the market, or i need to buy something.

I use a CAD/CAM program called Vector CAD/CAM.

You can also use Ace Converter from

dakeng.com/ace.html

Alan KM6VV

Yes be sure to post some pictures!

I have tried several programs that generate gcode, but I ended up going the expensive rout. I bought Visual Mill 6.0 and I am very pleased with it. I’m going to be cutting several 3D parts so I had to have Visual Mill since it makes cutting complex parts a bit easier. I also love the report feature that gives you an estimate as to how long an operation will take to complete. This is useful for optimizing machine operations.

I find software one of those things that have a lot to do with personal preference. What works for one person my not work at all for another person. The best thing to do is try every demo you can get your hands on. That’s what I did.

You know cambam and gsimple?

That’s for sure! Ask on the CAD/CAM lists, and you’ll get a raft of possible CAD/CAM programs to choose from. Take the demo!

Alan KM6VV

Hi All again,

I have try CamBam software to make my GCode (2d only)
Look to work, but ain’t try it on the CNC yet. If i run the code in NCPlot it show that it’s doing what it is supposed to do…!

My CNC is gone today, out for a facelift…

Some pictures of it. Waiting to be picked
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6133/6030595869_b1af35de50.jpghttp://farm7.static.flickr.com/6082/6031153140_0c95dbd3c1.jpghttp://farm7.static.flickr.com/6082/6030595959_37634d0809.jpg

Will be done in the next week… (or maybe the two next week…)

Can’t wait…

BTW: 20mm rods are way bigger than 1/2… it’s amazing…!

Looks like you’ll have a really nice machine when you’re finished!

Yeah, probably more like 3/4".

Too bad you’re not closer, I’d like to see your machine run in person!

Alan KM6VV