CNC Machine

I am thinking about buying (or building) a CNC machine this summer. I have always wanted one to play with and make brackets for my A4WD1. :smiley:

This is what I have in mind
7x7 kit by Zen Toolworks

The kit does not include the controller or software soā€¦

instead of using their $90 printer port controller they have on the site I was thinking about getting a
USB Pidgets controller

For the drill part I was thinking of using my dremel tool, I guess I could find a way to mount that on there.

And for the software I was thinking I could write it myself or use someone elseā€™s :unamused: , Iā€™m up for the challenge.

What do you guys think? I want to save as much money as possible.

Hey,

I have the same mill. It is really a great little machine.

If you have a computer with a serial port than I would recommend the stepper controller that zentoolworks sells. Thereā€™s a ton of support for it and it seems to have more on board adjustment than the controller you were looking at.

As for software, you should check out the wiki page on zentoolworks.com . There youā€™ll find a bunch of suggestions for what you can use for free or for very little money.

Iā€™m not sure what material youā€™re planning on machining but here is a suggestion: alumilite.com/ProdDetail.cfm?Category=Casting%20Resins&Name=Alumilite%20Regular. This stuff is great. Itā€™s strong, not too heavy and it machines like a dream. It chips off clean without melting at any spindle speed and cut rate. Things like pvc, abs, or lexan can be kind of hard to do because the plastic will build up on the bit.

It can do aluminum pretty well too but very slowly.

Nice Router!

Search this forum for recent threads on CNC routers.

Alan KM6VV

robotix, what is the target precision and materials you are planning to work on?

iā€™m afraid this one toy you presented in link could be a bit weak

The Dremel does not have the side loading capability for use in a CNC machine. Iā€™m not speculating, but relaying info gained from trying it personally. And I was only trying to cut 3mm foam PVC. I donā€™t know what else would work though. Of course I was using it for production. You may be able to make something useful using a Dremel but itā€™s going to be painfully slow. :stuck_out_tongue:

Look for trim routers. Much heaver, and are designed to take the lateral loads.

cpotools.com/bosch-pr20evsk-colt-variable-speed-palm-router-kit/bshnpr20evsk,default,pd.html

And since yourā€™s is out of stock:

probotix.com/FireBall_v90_cnc_router_kit/

Alan KM6VV

Yep we used to use a DeWalt 621 back in the day. I didnā€™t think this machine would lift it. lol

Yes, DeWalt was the other trim router I was trying to remember.

the Colt has nice precision 1/8" collets available for it.

Alan KM6VV

The lower cost tools.

harborfreight.com/1-4-quarte ā€¦ 44914.html
harborfreight.com/electric-c ā€¦ 42831.html

Iā€™d stay away from the HF stuff. Too cheap, bad bearings.

Alan KM6VV

I have buy a CNC table 2 months ago.

flickr.com/photos/55725351@N08/sets/72157626454514032/

I am not done with it. But the worst is the precision. Since it use low cost screws ā€¦

If the screws are really poor, can you upgrade them? I assume youā€™re talking about backlash?

The nuts that ride the lead screws are also part of the equation. They can be ā€œloadedā€ to reduce the backlash.

Alan KM6VV

Yes backlash.

The screws can be updated. But would like to make it work as is for now. $$$

Nuts are something in hard plastic. Will take a picture.

Agree, those things will surely bust under the demands of cnc routing.

I will say that I got a $50 table-top sheet metal brake from HF, and it was worth it!

I did also buy a full-sized mill from them, after much research. A little clean-up, and it works fairly well (price was really good).

Alan KM6VV

As routing software i can recommend EMC
linuxcnc.org/
I use it since many years and i am very happy with it. You can use cheap clock/direction amplifiers and it installs a complete ubuntu linux environment on your routing pc.

The best is, its free!

Or EMC2, or TurboCNC (list on yahoo).

Personally, I like to write my own CNC control software! ;>)

Alan KM6VV

Which mill? What brake did you get. I was looking at this brake:

harborfreight.com/8-inch-ben ā€¦ 90757.html

I bought a Wong-Fu 31 mill (Hong-Kong, not Mainland China).

Not sure about your 8" brake. Expensive, not very wide, and it uses a V-shaped jaw along with a grooved anvil to make bends. Mine is a simple hinge-type. so they are quite different. Iā€™d have to see it. 20ga steel is pretty light.

Alan KM6VV

Hi everyone,

I want to know how to make a simple 2d cut in a sheet of fiberglass or anything elseā€¦ (1 - 1.5mm)

I didnā€™t find the way to just cut that.

i mean go from a dxf file or any 3d file. To a cuting file.

(Searching in english is a bit hardā€¦ :frowning: )