4. Stereo Socket
  5. USB or Seriel Transfer cable
  6. 4k7 ohm resistor
  7. 330 ohm resistor
  8. 22k ohm resistor
  9. 10k ohm resistor
  10. LED
  11. Wire

Note how there are 5 pins on the socket, but you only really use 3 (serial out, serial in, and ground). The 2 sets of 2 pins get tied together and then they get tied to each other via a 10k ohm resistor. When looking above the socket as shown in the picture the left 2 pins go to ground, the right 2 pins go to serial in via a 22k resistor, then the last pin which is near the opening of the socket goes to serial out.

Basically all this did was help me to learn how to hook up the chip and a stereo socket to a breadboard and get basic output (blinking LED). Hopefully it will help someone else too! Lots of pics to follow so you can see how it is connected. The code follows the pictures.

For help on how to hook up the stereo socket or for what pins do what on the chip click here.

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/AXE001_pinout.pdf

Symbol LED = 0

AGAIN:
HIGH LED
pause 1000

LOW LED
pause 1000

GOTO AGAIN

END

The code assumes you are using output 0 for the LED. If you can't get the editor to connect to your chip make sure you have the com port setting correct.

1. Click START (lower left corner of your screen)
  2. Right click My Computer
  3. Click Properties
  4. Click Hardware Tab
  5. Click Device Manager Button
  6. Expand the Ports (COM & LPT)
  7. It should have an item called AXE027 PICAXE USB (COMX) X is your COM Port Number
  8. In the editor go to View->Options
  9. Click Seriel Port tab
  10. Select the Com Port you found in step 7 and click OK
  11. Try to transfer the code again.
  12. If it still doesn't work make sure your batteries are charged and connected to the breadboard.
  13. If it STILL doesn't work take a picture that shows the connections and post

For larger more detailed images click here. No fair making fun of my dirty coffee table.

Updated to include new pics using resistors, which should have been there in the first place.

Really wicked!! / Fritsl

Really wicked!!

/ Fritsl

nice, just a advice… when u

nice, just a advice… when u put a connection in the breadboard, use the most away from the components… normaly most close to the power lines of the breadboard… that way you can easy replace components, count the number of the pins, and test the pins signals with a multimeter.

did you understud me?! GL with your projects =)

Cool!
Cool!

Nice work. Does the Picaxe

Nice work. Does the Picaxe not need an external resonator or oscillator crystal? I’ve been interested in this kind of thing, finding the minimum number of components you need for a microcontroller, to shrink it down once you’re building you project. But at least with the Arduino, it looks like you always need at least a voltage regulator for power and resonator or crystal to tell it how fast to run. I guess maybe the Picaxe has that internally?

Dan

I’m assuming no because I

I’m assuming no because I didn’t use any. My assumption is that it is internal. I guess it is smart enough to run its own clock cycles. Someone with more knowledge would have to chime in.

Don’t sweat the petty things. Don’t pet the sweaty things.

Some Picaxes do, some

Some Picaxes do, some Picaxes have their own swing :slight_smile:

There are 3 “ranges”, depending on the chosen chip:

• Some just need 2 resistors, and you are go
  • Some needs 3 resistors
  • Some need 3 resistors and some kind of oscillator

That’s it!

List:

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/details.asp?prodname=product_chips

Manual:

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/picaxe_manual1.pdf

/ Fritsl

PICAXE is based on PIC from

PICAXE is based on PIC from Microchip which still needs 4.8 or 5 volts to operate. If 5V power source is not directly availble then a voltage regulator is needed. I wish that Sketch and Arduino can have an option to use internal OSC and other clock values than fixed at 16Mhz. That would be nice. Definitely using Atmega 168 without Sketch you can set to use internal clock option but it must be developped using the straight compiler and load the code outside Sketch. Sketch is a nice envirnoment that eliminates these separate tools and it also has many handy libraries.

-Pandit

Forgive my squirrelly ignorance…

I finally got my Picaxe28X1 and I am trying to get this, the equivelent of a hello world, working. I was reading the datasheets and manuals for the picaxe28 and 28X1 and it tells to wire differently then you have shown here. their method has no connection between the ground and the serial circuit. the one shown above connects pin 8 to the ground as well as one of the connectors comming form the computer.

Is there a difference? is it a big difference and which is better.

UPDATE: I think I got it so never mind but if anyone want s to answer it anyway feel free.

So Sparkfun can make

So Sparkfun can make money?

Jokes aside, I did the same in the beginning. There are some plastic tabs on the socket that I had to remove to make it fit better. Later, I soldered the required resistors directly onto the socket and added some longer pins.

Who knows. I never had any
Who knows. I never had any problems getting the stereo socket to fit and stay in place. I was surprised at how easily it popped in. I eventually soldered wires onto it so it didn’t take up 5 spots on my breadboard. When I got my motor driver, picaxe chip, and servo installed it took up a lot of room!

can u help me to connect my

can u help me to connect my usc cable to the picaxe, coz i have tried everything it doesnt work. im doing the test program, bt the led doesnt oscillate.

plzz help me tanx.

What chip are you using here

What chip are you using here is the datasheet on this stereo socket that shows which pin connects to the PICAXE.

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/AXE001_pinout.pdf

If you need a more detailed response please be more detailed in how you have it connected. Post some photos or a drawing showing pics on the stereo socket and how they are connected to the chip. Also post which chip you are using 28x, 8m, etc.

i just tried this some days
i just tried this some days ago, not following this post’s instruction though, as i didn’t know about it. I can’t get it to work and don’t really know how. I’ve set up the enhanced download circuit. I’ll try with the reset switch tomorrow

I havent ever used a reset
I havent ever used a reset switch. I just unplug the battery because I’m lazy.

it’s just an additional tool

it’s just an additional tool to help prototype. I have one and use it for multiple bb’s that have different setups.

i too unlpug the battery via

i too unlpug the battery via a switch, but sometimes (i don’t really know why) i have to hold down the reset switch (that is on my picaxe board, not on the breadboarded prototype which i haven’t tried yet).

Bad news chaps (actually bad new for me :slight_smile: ).

the circuit i’m using appears to be working fine, it’s the chip that doesn’t work (the other one works correctly). It is a pic16f872 (the non-working one). I don’t really know what to do know.

I’m gonna open a new thread as this one is not the right one for the discussion of this problem.

All the feedback i can give is that i tried the enhanced download circuit and it works great!

** I really dont get the**

I really dont get the whole "home made board thing" so im gonna fire up some Questions.

I ordered a Picaxe 08 and a picaxe 18.

Do these need resistors? I mean… can i just hook it up to the sterio socket and everything works Presto?

Thanks in advance,

/Nick

the datasheet says to use
the datasheet says to use resistors. I wired it up without them but it can damage the picaxe. I really should edit this walkthrough to use resistors.

** Uh… great. now i need**

Uh… great.

now i need resistors… iv got a whole ton from Trap… but they’re not colur coded ones, so i dont “get” them

/Nick