Breadboard Basics II (Add PICAXE)

resistors without coloured bands?
I would like to see that in a picture. That’s something new to me. Are you sure they are not something else?

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/AXE001_pinout.pdf

You need a 22k and a 10k. If you live near a Radioshack they charge $1 for 5 resistors. So for $2 you have enough for 5 circuits with stereo adapters. I think 5 resistors for $1 is a ripoff, but if you only need a few it isn’t too bad.

/Nick

DSC01818.jpg

/Nick

resistors? or capacitors?

Maybe Trap can verify this, but (some of) these look like capacitors. They appear to have numbers on them. They would tell you what the capacitance is. Usually a three digit code "XYZ".

Read XY as usual. Z is telling you what the multiplyer should be. The unit is in picoFarad. For example:
103 would be 10 (ten) times 10^3 (thousand) = ten thousand pF or 10 nF.

474 would be 47 x 10^4 = 470 nF.

But only if these are indeed capacitors… Hope this helps a bit.

8ik

Magnifier or meter
Get a magnifier to see the writing on the resistors, or simply use your multimeter to measure them. Probably marked like caps, but read differently, ie : 104 would be 10 and 4 more 0s to be a 100000 or 100k resistor. 221 would be a 220 ohm resistor.

Sorry about the confusion

Lets say the resitor reads RN55C The 55 means 1/8watt. And if it says 1542F that means 15400 omhs aka 15.4K. Sorry to not let you in on all this i sort of got busy. The reason these do not have color codes is because they are all .1% aka on the money. Every one of them. LOOK

Minimum setup

Like fritz! stated. Minimal setup is listed for every picaxe in manual1.

Basicly: if you’re done programming the picaxe and don’t need the serial connetion, only the pulldown resistor for the serial (10K) in and the pull-up resistor for the reset button (4.7K) are needed. The chips without a reset pin don’t need theresistor off course.

The external resonator or crystal is optional for all models. They all have an internal 4Mhz resonator, but that one is not very accurate. (I hooked up two 08M chips with an LED flashing on and off every second and they get visibly out of sync in about 10 seconds!)

If you do have an external resonator, like on the standard the 28X1 board -> USE THE setfreq em4 command in the init routine. Otherwise the program will ignore the external resonator and default to the internal resonator.

BTW: The picaxe breadboard adapter is very handy. It is just a serial connetor with the proper resistors and a few pins to stick it on the board. I use it to program multiple picaxe chips on one breadboard without creating a spaghetti of resistors and sockets. (http://194.201.138.187/epages/Store.storefront/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/AXE029)

:frowning: does it have to be
:frowning: does it have to be exactly those resistors?

That is what the datasheet
That is what the datasheet calls for. If you have something close you are likely to be ok.

ok… EUgh… i

ok… EUgh… i got go to bed

ok all this basic stuff is
ok all this basic stuff is just on how to build your cpu right?

It is how to build a basic
It is how to build a basic circuit on a breadboard that makes a picaxe blink a LED.

oooohhh ok now i get it. but
oooohhh ok now i get it. but how do the led flash with just one microcontroller.

try it…
you could build it, and find out…!

You only need 1 to make 30
You only need 1 to make 30 or 40 flash if you daisychain them. (I know someone will fact check to make sure it could really do 30-40 I pulled that numbe rout of my ■■■■, but I’m sure you could easily do over 20 with charlieplexing. I’m just too lazy to look up the formula to calculate it.

Thanks jklug80! It is
Thanks jklug80! It is working! :smiley: Nice tutorial!

pictures

Nice tutorial… Except now for some reason i cant see the pictures